(Photo from this article…)
This week is the 45th anniversary of Roe v Wade. There will be a march against the decision and our legislature will be swamped with dramatically-named anti-choice bills aimed at interfering with both women’s rights to choose what’s best for themselves and their families, but also with the hard decisions patients must make with their doctors, when their health, or even their lives, are in danger. Make sure your legislators know we’re watching and we expect them to trust women.
H.R.4712 – Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.
H.R.490 – Heartbeat Protection Act.
S. 1922 – Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (Senate bill – this passed House as H.R. 36!!!)
Minimal Script for representatives: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask that Representative [__] oppose the anti-choice bills H.R.4712 and H.R.490.
Minimum Script for senators: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask that Senator [__] oppose the anti-choice bill S.1922.
Additional script for both: Instead, we want [Rep./Sen.] to create and support bills that promote reproductive healthcare services, safe and legal abortions, affordable birth control, HIV/AIDS care and prevention, standards to reduce our ridiculously high rate of maternal mortality and medically accurate sex education for all people, regardless of income, location or education. Continue reading “Wednesday – 1/17 – Women, your rights are at stake. Call.”
Tuesday – Jan. 16th
CLEAN POWER – Write a comment TODAY by 11:59 PM ET !
Save the Clean Power Plan – Deadline Jan. 16
The EPA intends to end the Clean Power Plan. First though, they will have to successfully repeal it, thereby deregulating power plants and slashing environmental protections. Post a comment protesting the EPA’s proposed repeal of the Clean Power Plan before January Jan 16 2018, at 11:59 PM ET . Link to comment form.
Sample Written Script (try to mix it up a little): I strongly oppose the revoking of the Clean Power Plan by the EPA. The Clean Power Plan, the centerpiece of recent climate change regulation, is intended to slash carbon emissions from power plants. It should not be repealed or replaced only strengthened. Climate change is not “fake news” it is the scientifically verified future of the planet. Ending the Clean Power Plan is a crime against that future. The role of the EPA is not to boost the economy of the fossil fuel industry; it is to protect the environment. Do your job.
ORGANIC FARMING – Write a comment!
Continue reading “Tuesday 1/16 – 3 Quick Actions on a tight timeline…”
We’re cancelling our newsletter call on Net Neutrality.
All our legislators are on the job. Please thank them instead.
Both our Senators, Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris are part of the 40 senators that signed Senator Markey’s Congressional Review Act resolution of disapproval to overturn FCC vote to end net neutrality. 30 members were required to send it to the floor for a vote. Thank them here. Feinstein email, Kamala Harris email.
Both our representatives, Salud Carbajal and Julia Brownley, have released statements that they will support legislative action to enforce net neutrality. Thank them here. Carbajal email, Brownley email.
Today is “Protect Mueller National Call-In Day”!
Let’s all take part and call our MoCs to ask them to do their part to protect him. #ProtectMueller and #TrumpRussia
You can watch it below and/or read about all the acts here…, but while we were distracted with Trump’s supposed “War on Christmas”, an actual war on our environment was happening.
Continue reading “Thursday 1/11 – The FCC, Mueller and the Earth…”
Anytime we can take a breath in our resistance battles, it’s because a good judge stopped our current administration from doing something illegal, immoral, needlessly cruel or any combo of the above.
Tomorrow, Thursday, the Judiciary Committee will be discussing these hand-picked horrors who desperately want to continue Trump’s agenda, with a lifetime seat at our expense. We give you all the information you need to make one call.
- Thomas Alvin Farr – We need to oppose a federal judge appointee with a history of condoning race-based voter suppression. His career is closely associated with attacks on the rights of vulnerable citizens. For the last three decades, Farr, who represented the campaign of the ultraconservative Senator Jesse Helms at a time when the campaign was accused of taking part in conduct designed to intimidate black voters, has committed himself to two main missions: disenfranchising voters of color and attacking workers’ rights. Now up for nomination again a second time for 2018, two times too many.
- David Stras nomination for US Court of Appeals for the eighth Circuit. – Another far right candidate who has ruled against government transparency, ruled to limit the rights of children with disabilities, and women, and sided with Minnesota’s Republican legislature in its effort to put on the ballot a measure to make it more difficult for minorities and the elderly to vote, in language that was “phrased to actively deceive and mislead.” https://www.afj.org/our-work/nominees/david-stras
- Stuart Kyle Duncan – He has fought contraception coverage for women, a woman’s right to choose and LGBTQ equality. He has fought to make it more difficult for people of color to vote, opposes criminal justice reform and doesn’t respect legal precedent.
- Liles Burke – Keeping a picture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis in his office communicates hostility to communities of color and raises questions about Burke’s commitment to civil rights and his ability to be an impartial jurist for all who come before him. Burke has ruled that rap lyrics written by the defendant could be used against him for a crime occurring years later and that the word “child” in Alabama’s child endangerment statute applies to the unborn, opening the door to the prosecution of pregnant women. He allowed removal of so many black and female jurors, the case involved was appealed.
- Matthew Kacsmaryk – Where to start…He has attacked Roe v. Wade, is anti-LGBTQ and has opposed regulations under the Affordable Care Act that forbid healthcare providers from discriminating against people based on gender identity, “sex stereotyping,” and “termination of pregnancy”, hates gay marriage, supported Kim Davis and likes “conversion therapy”.
First – Need some borrowed energy?
- Read this and this.
- Join us! Check out our “Local Events – Resist” listing. Here’s some things happening soon!
– Today we’re having a postcard party. We’ll be listing more of these soon.
– January 7th, we’re having our first canvassing and registration party of 2018. We’re doing this almost every week, so come out. You’ll always get training and work alongside experienced people.
- Resistance works.
- If you’ve ever thought about joining in a phonebank but found the whole idea really scary, there is a conference call training session TONIGHT (Jan. 4th) at 7 pm PST to help break it down for us phone-phobic people!
- If calling anyone, especially your legislators, makes you nervous, click here.
1. Lend your courage to our Senators in the fight for DACA
Senator Feinstein almost reneged on her promise. Your calls made her stand up. Never underestimate the power of calling your Democratic legislators. Start revving up her courage and willpower starting today! Use this short script below and give her a “welcome back” call.)
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] to urge Congressperson/Senator [___] to require the addition of a clean Dream Act as a condition of any spending bill until the Dream Act passes.
More script if you need it: Every day that Congress fails to act, 122 Dreamers lose their DACA status and become deportable. A vote on a continuing resolution without the Dream Act, is a vote to deport Dreamers.
TELL Senator Feinstein TO CONTINUE TO BE BRAVE: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and THANK Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
2. Another fox in the henhouse. Ask our Senators to stop this.
The U.S. Census Bureau is the agency that determines the allocation of representatives and how political districts are drawn. So the Deputy Director this bureau should NOT be a guy named Thomas Brunell, who wrote a un-American, anti-democratic book called “Redistricting and Representation: Why Competitive Elections are Bad for America”. Duh! There was enough stink to keep him from becoming head of the bureau, but now the GOP is trying to stick him in a position that doesn’t require Senate confirmation. (We’ll talk about the proposed Census questions tomorrow.)
Continue reading “3 fast actions for Thursday and more!”
Yesterday, we talked about Paul Ryan’s call for more tax-paying citizens and how he forgot to mention that 800,000 pre-citizens already dwell peacefully with us, paying taxes and starting businesses. The loss of these Dreamers would be a such a huge hit to our economy that even the hyper-conservative Koch brothers are concerned.
But GOP legislators, exhausted after passing their masterpiece of looting and pillaging, want to go home with their families to celebrate, while 1,000 people lose their legal status every week.
Here are the Dream Heroes, that have already taken the pledge to vote ‘NO” on any Continuing Resolution (CR) that doesn’t include a clean DREAM ACT. (Check here for defectors, including our own Senator Dianne Feinstein)
Here are the Dream Killers, who haven’t.
#1 – Take 10 seconds and make this call. Give some courage to our legislators!
Continue reading “Clean Dream Act. Dec. 22nd.”