“The image of America deporting fellow Americans is not something this country or the Republican Party want to see unfolding every night on the national and local news.”
– Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.), a top champion of Dreamer relief
Action #1: Call your Rep. and Senators to give them support to do the right thing. Contact information at the bottom of this post.
Sample Script: I am calling from [zip code] to ask Rep. [___] and Senator [___] to continue opposing any DACA bill that includes Trump’s racist “four pillars” immigration plan. Oh, and please don’t confirm Acting ICE Director Thomas Homan.
Action #2: Be part of the resistance network. Print out these flyers in English and Spanish for this DACA renewal clinic and post them in public spaces, and/or send them digitally to friends and organizations who can get them to those in need. Spanish, English Continue reading “Tues. 2/20 – DACA & immigration – fast actions and information update”
Short answer is YES, IT MATTERS!
But read this great article for yourself.
There are more of us than them.
This is why Indivisible was started.
We can do this.
(Photo from this article…)
This week is the 45th anniversary of Roe v Wade. There will be a march against the decision and our legislature will be swamped with dramatically-named anti-choice bills aimed at interfering with both women’s rights to choose what’s best for themselves and their families, but also with the hard decisions patients must make with their doctors, when their health, or even their lives, are in danger. Make sure your legislators know we’re watching and we expect them to trust women.
H.R.4712 – Born-Alive Abortion Survivors Protection Act.
H.R.490 – Heartbeat Protection Act.
S. 1922 – Pain Capable Unborn Child Protection Act (Senate bill – this passed House as H.R. 36!!!)
Minimal Script for representatives: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask that Representative [__] oppose the anti-choice bills H.R.4712 and H.R.490.
Minimum Script for senators: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask that Senator [__] oppose the anti-choice bill S.1922.
Additional script for both: Instead, we want [Rep./Sen.] to create and support bills that promote reproductive healthcare services, safe and legal abortions, affordable birth control, HIV/AIDS care and prevention, standards to reduce our ridiculously high rate of maternal mortality and medically accurate sex education for all people, regardless of income, location or education. Continue reading “Wednesday – 1/17 – Women, your rights are at stake. Call.”
Tuesday – Jan. 16th
CLEAN POWER – Write a comment TODAY by 11:59 PM ET !
Save the Clean Power Plan – Deadline Jan. 16
The EPA intends to end the Clean Power Plan. First though, they will have to successfully repeal it, thereby deregulating power plants and slashing environmental protections. Post a comment protesting the EPA’s proposed repeal of the Clean Power Plan before January Jan 16 2018, at 11:59 PM ET . Link to comment form.
Sample Written Script (try to mix it up a little): I strongly oppose the revoking of the Clean Power Plan by the EPA. The Clean Power Plan, the centerpiece of recent climate change regulation, is intended to slash carbon emissions from power plants. It should not be repealed or replaced only strengthened. Climate change is not “fake news” it is the scientifically verified future of the planet. Ending the Clean Power Plan is a crime against that future. The role of the EPA is not to boost the economy of the fossil fuel industry; it is to protect the environment. Do your job.
ORGANIC FARMING – Write a comment!
Continue reading “Tuesday 1/16 – 3 Quick Actions on a tight timeline…”
We’re cancelling our newsletter call on Net Neutrality.
All our legislators are on the job. Please thank them instead.
Both our Senators, Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris are part of the 40 senators that signed Senator Markey’s Congressional Review Act resolution of disapproval to overturn FCC vote to end net neutrality. 30 members were required to send it to the floor for a vote. Thank them here. Feinstein email, Kamala Harris email.
Both our representatives, Salud Carbajal and Julia Brownley, have released statements that they will support legislative action to enforce net neutrality. Thank them here. Carbajal email, Brownley email.
Today is “Protect Mueller National Call-In Day”!
Let’s all take part and call our MoCs to ask them to do their part to protect him. #ProtectMueller and #TrumpRussia
You can watch it below and/or read about all the acts here…, but while we were distracted with Trump’s supposed “War on Christmas”, an actual war on our environment was happening.
Continue reading “Thursday 1/11 – The FCC, Mueller and the Earth…”
Anytime we can take a breath in our resistance battles, it’s because a good judge stopped our current administration from doing something illegal, immoral, needlessly cruel or any combo of the above.
Tomorrow, Thursday, the Judiciary Committee will be discussing these hand-picked horrors who desperately want to continue Trump’s agenda, with a lifetime seat at our expense. We give you all the information you need to make one call.
- Thomas Alvin Farr – We need to oppose a federal judge appointee with a history of condoning race-based voter suppression. His career is closely associated with attacks on the rights of vulnerable citizens. For the last three decades, Farr, who represented the campaign of the ultraconservative Senator Jesse Helms at a time when the campaign was accused of taking part in conduct designed to intimidate black voters, has committed himself to two main missions: disenfranchising voters of color and attacking workers’ rights. Now up for nomination again a second time for 2018, two times too many.
- David Stras nomination for US Court of Appeals for the eighth Circuit. – Another far right candidate who has ruled against government transparency, ruled to limit the rights of children with disabilities, and women, and sided with Minnesota’s Republican legislature in its effort to put on the ballot a measure to make it more difficult for minorities and the elderly to vote, in language that was “phrased to actively deceive and mislead.” https://www.afj.org/our-work/nominees/david-stras
- Stuart Kyle Duncan – He has fought contraception coverage for women, a woman’s right to choose and LGBTQ equality. He has fought to make it more difficult for people of color to vote, opposes criminal justice reform and doesn’t respect legal precedent.
- Liles Burke – Keeping a picture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis in his office communicates hostility to communities of color and raises questions about Burke’s commitment to civil rights and his ability to be an impartial jurist for all who come before him. Burke has ruled that rap lyrics written by the defendant could be used against him for a crime occurring years later and that the word “child” in Alabama’s child endangerment statute applies to the unborn, opening the door to the prosecution of pregnant women. He allowed removal of so many black and female jurors, the case involved was appealed.
- Matthew Kacsmaryk – Where to start…He has attacked Roe v. Wade, is anti-LGBTQ and has opposed regulations under the Affordable Care Act that forbid healthcare providers from discriminating against people based on gender identity, “sex stereotyping,” and “termination of pregnancy”, hates gay marriage, supported Kim Davis and likes “conversion therapy”.