Headline from Washington Post: “Republicans reach compromise tax plan…
So now, gentle reader, you’re thinking that the “compromise” must be incorporating a little actual benefit for poor and middle-class Americans…
But you would be wrong.
…expanding tax cuts for the wealthy.”
How is that a compromise, we wonder?
They’re raising their bargain-basement lower limit on corporate taxes from 20 to 21% and dropping the the top tax rate for families and individuals to 37%. Oh, wait a minute…
A distinction without a difference…
Both of these strategies will be paid for with our Medicaid, Medicare, and anything else they can take from us including Social Security. None of their trickle-down nonsense will actually work, and it never has. Look at Kansas. Direct theft from us has always been their go-to plan.
But we just played a magic trick of our own…Alabama elected a Democrat!
Continue reading “#TrumpTaxScam continues. Now we’re down to cup-and-ball tricks…”
So why did Doug Jones win? (TheHill)
Black voters came out and did the right thing, especially the women. Thank you.
- 98% of black women voted for Jones. 63% of white women voted for the alleged child molester.
- 72% of white men voted for Moore, while 2% wrote in candidates.
- Black voters make up ±26% of Alabama’s voters. Doug needed at least 25% of these mainly Democratic voters to show up. 28% did.
- 51% of white college-educated women voted for Moore, compared to 43% of college graduates overall.
- White voters without a college degree overwhelmingly chose Moore.
Senator Richard Shelby asked Alabamians to reject Moore by writing in somebody honorable instead.
- “Jones defeated Moore by 1.5 percentage points, while the write-in vote was slightly larger than the margin between the two major-party nominees. More than 22,000 voters, or 1.7 percent of the electorate, wrote in a name instead of voting for Moore or Jones.”
Grassroots organizations worked their butts off.
Continue reading “OMG, Alabama, you did it!”
We liberal/progressives tend to ascribe general good intentions to politicians who vote for what we believe is right, such as the three holdouts to the ACA repeal bill – Senators McCain, Collins and Murkowski.
But before we go handing out medals, note that they still managed to voted for these horrors… Leonard Steven Grasz, Allison Eid, Gregory Katsas, Amy Coney Barrett. These now appointed-for-life judges are unremittingly anti-women’s rights, anti-gay rights, anti-civil rights, anti-environmentalist, and unclear on the separation of church and state and are young enough to subvert justice in our country for decades.
So we know that when Senator Grassley, who also voted for the above named abominations, actually has difficulty with two of Trump’s nominees -Talley and Matteer – something is seriously wrong.
Minimal Script: I’m calling to ask that the Senator vote against the confirmations of Don Willett and James Ho, and do everything in their power to stop the reckless packing of our federal court system with unqualified extremist judges.
Senator Feinstein: DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com Continue reading “Stop the destruction of our courts!”
On it, thanks! Read “I’m on the FCC. Please stop us from killing net neutrality” (LATimes)
Here’s a helpful graphic of what is coming if we don’t stand up now…
Step #1 – Multi-media messages and send a note to Congress
We have just days. The FCC is about to vote to end net neutrality—breaking the fundamental principle of the open Internet—and only an avalanche of calls to Congress can stop it. So this Tuesday, December 12th, “Break the Internet” on your site, Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, LinkedIn, reddit, Tumblr, Youtube or in whatever wild creative way you can to get your audience to contact Congress. That’s how we win. Are you in?
If you run a website, blog, tumblr, or forum, help spread the word by putting up a sticky post, or use one of these widgets, ads, or banners: https://www.battleforthenet.com/#join
Tell people what the internet will be like without net neutrality. There are already examples for us to study. Guaranteed our internet providers are studying them. Continue reading “Tuesday, Dec. 12th – Break the Internet!”
We still have time to wreck the GOP’s #TrumpTaxScam and shame them in front of their corporate masters…so call now!
#1- It doesn’t actually work
- The Treasury Department admits the GOP tax plan won’t pay for itself through increased economic growth. The one-page analysis says “a combination of regulatory reform, infrastructure development, and welfare reform“ is needed to offset the cost of the tax plan. (Politico / Axios)
- “Welfare reform” = Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security along with traditional aid programs.
- There was a HYOOGE error in the Senate’s corporate alternate minimum tax
- A group of 13 tax law professors and lawyers, many of whom have been vocal opponents of the Republican plan, published a 34-page paper offering a taste of what those unintended consequences might be.
#2 – More and more people don’t want it. This scam can still fall apart.
- poll/ 32% of Americans support the GOP tax plan – the lowest level of public support for any major piece of legislation enacted in the past three decades. 53% say it won’t help the economy in a major way. (USA Today)
- CA GOP representatives are vulnerable. If the state tax deduction doesn’t reappear in the negotiations, they’re political toast.
- New Yorkers have Trump’s phone number and want him to change things, like the removal of the property tax deduction.
- Susan Collins may wake up and realize she’s been played over the promised health care bills.
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] to express my strong disapproval of H.R. 1, the disastrous Republican tax scam, and to ask that Rep. [___] vote against it when it comes out of the conference committee.
The vote is tomorrow! This is how you can help. Click here.