Action – Remove Discriminatory Citizenship Question from 2020 U.S. Census! – Deadline, Tuesday, Aug. 7th, 11:59 pm EST
How to comment on this census scam:
- Click here to comment. Write, submit, you’re done.
- You can also submit your comment through the MomsRising.org site here. Add a personal message if you can.
- If you’re interested in reading the administration’s nonsense explanation of this whole scam, click here.
- If you need more inspiration, go here. (currently under construction, apparently)
Why is this census so important?: It’s critical that the U.S. Census gets an accurate headcount of everyone in the United States. The population counts are used to determine:
- how to allocate billions of tax dollars (hospitals, public schools, public services, etc.)
- how many U.S. representatives in Congress a state should have.
- Every state is allocated a number of electoral votes based to the number of senators and representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its senators in the U.S. Senate plus one for each of its members in the U. S. House of Representatives. Right now, CA has the largest number at 55.
Continue reading “Fri 8/3: It just takes one census question on citizenship to steal power from our state. Comment now to stop this! Deadline Tuesday, Aug. 7th.”
Volunteers and immigration lawyers will assist eligible applicants fill out their DACA renewal forms at this FREE clinic!
¬ Scholarships for DACA fees available! See info below.
¬Get your DACA renewed while you can, laws are changing.
Monday, August 6th, 5:30-7:30 pm
Knights of Columbus, 136 S. Ojai St, Santa Paula
Flyers in English (here) and Spanish (here). Print them, clip the tags apart, hand them out, and plaster them all around Ventura County!
To sign up to volunteer, call (805) 650-1044. If you’ve never participated before and haven’t taken the training course, come at 5:00 pm for the training session. People with Spanish language skills are most appreciated, but not required.
DACA renewal fee waivers
Continue reading “FREE DACA Renewal Clinic – get help with your paperwork! Volunteers needed!”
(MAP:news.nationalgeographic.com) Updated 7/02/18
Action: Come to the protest rallies this Saturday.
Go here to find the nearest to you.
This just in – future action!
The Department of Justice, under Attorney General Jeff Sessions, is drafting a plan that would totally overhaul asylum policy in the United States.
Under the plan, people would be barred from getting asylum if they came into the US between ports of entry and were prosecuted for illegal entry. It would also add presumptions that would make it extremely difficult for Central Americans to qualify for asylum, and codify — in an even more restrictive form — an opinion written by Sessions in June that attempted to restrict asylum for victims of domestic and gang violence.
When the regulation is ready, it will be published in the Federal Register as a notice of proposed rulemaking, with 90 days for the public to comment before it’s enacted as a final regulation.
WE WILL BE READY!
WHY are Central Americans coming here?
No, don’t go “lalalalalala – TLDR!” It’s actually really interesting, and there’s lots of foreshadowing of our future under Putin’s influence and Trump’s tender mercies in what we did to Central America over the last 60 years. Election influencing, bribes, puppet leaders, money laundering, targeting “enemies”, repressive law-making. It’s all one big drama and we’re not the heroes. If we’re angry at what’s happening to us, we should be angry at what happened to them.
Continue reading “Sat 6/30: Trail of tears – A very condensed history of why Central Americans are coming here.”
Flyer for Families Belong Together – Ventura here. More information here or here.
#1 – “House Rejects “Compromise” Immigration Bill – Overwhelmingly.”
The House overwhelmingly rejected Ryan’s so-called compromise bill, 121-301. But no champagne cocktails for us yet, we’re afraid. It lost because it just wasn’t mean enough.
- An amendment to allow Dreamers to sponsor their parents for legal status stopped a lot of GOP “moderates” (?!) from voting for it.
- Many conservatives who voted against the compromise bill wanted the far crueler Goodlatte bill the House had rejected last week, 193-231.
- House GOP working on a narrow bill to house families together while the parents are going through criminal proceedings for the misdemeanor of first-time illegal border crossing, instead of in criminal custody, and eliminated the 20-day cap on administrative custody for accompanied children. (not good.)
Continue reading “Wed. 6/27: Ryan’s bill goes down in flames. Game not over.”
#1 – Join a June 30th protest! Please wear white!
Join in to protest Donald Trump’s “Zero Tolerance” family separation policies and practices, and that all separated children be returned to their parents with no conditions. We demand the de-criminalization of asylum claims, no matter where the border was crossed and that credible threats to women and children be restored as legitimate reasons to ask for asylum (NYTimes)(CNN).
Local actions – Go to as many as you can! Click on links for more information:
- Ventura – Ventura Country Government Center – 2:00 pm
- Oxnard – Collections Shopping Center – 10:00 am
- Ojai – Libbey Park – 12:00 pm.
- Carpinteria – Peace Corner – 3:00 pm
- Santa Barbara – De La Guerra Plaza – 11:00 am
- Not near enough? Look here. If there isn’t one in your town, start one here.
Continue reading “Mon 6/25: Sophie’s choice: Asylum edition”
(Quote from Slate)
There’s still a call to make…
2:12 p.m.: Goodlatte’s un-American H.R.4760 – “Securing America’s Future Act of 2018” bill went down 193-231. Every Democrat and 41 Republicans voted against Goodlatte’s bill, it was that horrible.
2:08 p.m.: House Republican leaders are delaying a vote on Ryan’s terrible “compromise” immigration bill (see below) until Friday as they try to scare up the required 218 votes.
Call your legislators now and tell them you assume that they’ll vote “NO” on this one too, that they will not compromise on any “zero-tolerance” policy and that they need to demand that one set of hostages, the Dreamers, needs to be rescued now with a clean Dream Act.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] to tell Rep. [__] that not only to vote ‘NO’ on Ryan’s horrible immigration bill, but to also demand a clean Dream act along with the end of this administration’s inhuman “zero tolerance” policy.
Continue reading “Thur 6/21: Goodlatte’s terrible immigration bill is dead! Ryan’s terrible immigration bill is still alive.”
There’s a lot you can do to help support the children and their families. We’re keeping a listing here that we’ll update daily up here at the top.
Monday update 6/18 – added: (1) legislative call and a matching petition, (1) call to a US attorney to find his bravery and a communication storm to two companies who are planning to make money on this misery..
First, recharge your fighing spirit here. Then read Bill Moyer’s beat “A 15-point Guide to Surviving Authoritarianism” here. Memorize the last line…“EVERY authoritarian, totalitarian and fascist regime in history eventually failed, thanks to the PEOPLE.”
Keep calling your elected representatives!
Keep up the pressure on their office staff, who will remind their bosses to get this done. The Resistance is not fighting alone. More of our society is finally rising up and joining in. (Southern Baptist Convention, Evangelical Immigration Table, Anti-Defamation League, CATO)
Latest calls and tiniest scripts (30 seconds or less) here.
#1 – Monday 6/18 – ‘NO’ on un-American/anti-family/anti-business immigration bill H.R. 4760 / Call/ Petition by June 22nd (Friday)
Goodlatte’s bill H.R.4760 – “Securing America’s Future Act of 2018” is the un-American mash-up of white supremacists’ dreams. It hurts farmworkers, will deport more Dreamers, and keeps children in detention longer. It also funds a border wall, reduces legal immigration by 40%, eliminates diversity visas, and includes language that no state (Hey, we’re looking at you, CA!) or local government entity can limit a state, or local government official from assisting ICE. Even the right wing hates this bill as it is estimated to cost our economy $319 BILLION! Continue reading “Monday 6/18 update – How to help the kids.”