Action #1 – Join us for NATIONAL VOTER REGISTRATION DAY!
Empowering young voters is important in this political climate. We will be visiting local colleges to make sure that students are aware of the importance of their vote in the upcoming elections. Today, we’re at Ventura College to engage with the great students there.
If you have never joined in on a voter registration event, this YOUR opportunity to make a difference and – don’t worry – there will be experienced folks on hand to teach you the ropes!
Time: 10 am-2 pm
Event: Register Ventura College voters
Address: Ventura College – 4667 Telegraph Rd, Ventura, CA 93003
Location: MCE/MCW Quad on the east side of campus past El Camino High School (see map below)
Look for our tent!
Questions? Email Veronica at email@example.com
Action #2 – Remind the Ventura County Fairground Board that we want the gun shows to stop.
Dedicated community activists are gathering together to make public comments to the board. Yes, your voices matter. The Ventura County Fair Board is supposed to represent the interests of the local community, not out-of-state gun show owners.
Continue reading “Tues 9/24: Your activity plan for today!”
Action – Vote “YES” to close a loophole on ammo sales & raise fees on firearms sales for gun-related programs.
AB 1669 updates existing law by applying the same gun show regulations that already apply to firearms dealers to ammunition vendors, increasing the Dealer Record of Sale fee (DROS) for firearm purchases from $14 to $32.19, and authorizing the Department of Justice (DOJ) to adjust the DROS fee as needed to ensure adequate funding for firearms-related notifications and services paid for by that account.
These ever-increasing services and programs are provided by our state hospitals, mental health facilities, local law enforcement, and other agencies, and include assessments of those who may be prohibited from possessing weapons, the processing of protective orders, as well as the regulatory cost of processing firearms transactions.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Assemblymember [___] to vote “YES on AB 1669: Gun Shows and events.
Call today and tomorrow. We’ll keep this updated for when the actual vote occurs.
Contact: State Assemblymember Monique Limón: (CA-37): SAC (916) 319-2037.
You can email here, but this is happening fast. Try calling first! It will take literally take 10 seconds.
Not your people?: findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov.
Background and Major Provisions
1) This bill updates existing law by aligning the requirements of ammunition vendors at guns shows with those of firearms dealers. According to the bill’s sponsor, Xavier Becerra, Attorney General of California: “Proposition 63, the Safety for All Act, passed in 2016 and among several provisions related to firearms and ammunition, required sales of ammunition to be conducted by or processed through a licensed dealer. Unfortunately, not all vendors were covered by the resulting law. “Independent ammunition vendors” – those that only sell ammunition, are federally-licensed, and are based outside of California – can sell ammunition at gun shows without being required to obtain the same state licenses that are required of California-based vendors. AB 1669 closes this loophole by requiring any entity selling ammunition in the state to be licensed by the state.” Continue reading “Thur – 5/9: URGENT!!! – “YES” on AB-1669 – Firearms: Gun shows and events. Voting soon!”
Here’s the synopsis of today’s actions. Do as much as you can. (More details below.)
- First thing – Call your legislators on horrible judge pick Thomas Farr
- Go to the Fairgrounds to protest gun shows
- Sign a petition against gun shows
- Email the Country Fair Board
- Go to the Oxnard City Council meeting tonight. Police Chief Whitney is presenting a temporary moratorium on new firearms and ammunition retailers.
#1 – Morning Coffee Action – Make this call – “NO” on Thomas Farr for US District Judge for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
Continue reading “Tues – 11/27: It’s a busy day! Here’s your action prescription.”
October 1st marked the one-year anniversary of the Las Vegas mass shooting, where 59 innocent people were murdered, and more than 500 others were injured. This November 7th, some of the survivors went through the same trauma again at our popular dance spot, the Borderline. 12 people died, including an armed law enforcement officer.
We are beyond “thoughts and prayers” over gun violence.
We have learned from this last election, that regular citizens, with both individual and group actions, can profoundly change this world for the better.
Here is what you can do right now and this is what we can do together.
Action #1 – Sign and share this petition
Take an action TODAY to end the proliferation of guns via the gun shows at the Ventura County Fairgrounds and our state profiting off of gun and ammunition sales. Help end the CROSSROADS of THE WEST (COTW) contract with Ventura County . (See “Background” below regarding some highly problematic issues with this promoter.)
Continue reading “Tues – 11/20: Our actions help take back the House. We can stop gun shows here too.”
Keep checking for new additions here.
Oct. 22 – Today! Ask every person you see – “Are you registered to vote?”
Then help them get registered. On your phone, or theirs. Share this with young people, even if they hate the term “millennials”.
Continue reading “Mon – 10/22: Last day to register and some of this week’s amazing activities. Join in!”
Today, October 1st, marks the one-year anniversary of the Las Vegas mass shooting, where 59 innocent people were murdered, and more than 500 others were injured by shooter Stephen Paddock.
Aside from thoughts and prayers for the trauma and tragedy of these families, we can take local action TODAY to end the proliferation of guns via the gun shows at the Ventura County Fairgrounds. This is our last chance to end the CROSSROADS of THE WEST (COTW) contract with Ventura County before they are renewed. (See “Background” below regarding some highly problematic issues with this promoter.)
Let’s turn our anger into action:
Action #1 – Sign and share this petition
Continue reading “Mon – Oct. 1: 1st anniversary of the Las Vegas Massacre. We are beyond “T&P” now. This is what you can do.”