Action #1: First, take a moment to thank Joe!
UPDATE:#MoreThanThoughtsAndPrayers – Biden just issued an executive action against gun violence!The White House fact sheet details the administration’s six key actions:
- The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns”;
- The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act;
- The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states;
- The administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions;
- The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking; and
- The president will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
Contact Joe here and tell him what this means to you, your friends and your family.
Continue reading “Joe’s actions are a great start. Now let’s pass some commonsense federal and state gun bills!”
UPDATE – The HOUSE just passed these bills. CALL YOUR SENATORS!
On March 6th, President Biden thanked the American public for making the American Rescue Plan possible. “You say, “Well, how do they make it possible?” Well, quite frankly, without the overwhelming bipartisan support of the American people, this would not have happened. Your elected officials heard you. Overwhelming public support — every public opinion poll shows overwhelming support for this plan. And for the last weeks, it’s shown that. Every public opinion poll shows the people want this, they believe it’s needed, and they believe it’s urgent.”
Well, when it comes to background checks for guns, we, the American public, are once again the main bipartisan support. 93 percent of American voters support requiring background checks on all gun sales, including 89 percent of Republicans and 87 percent of gun owners. To get the job done, however, we need to finally pass two related bills, both of which may be voted on in the House tomorrow.
- H.R. 8 – Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2021 requires all guns, with a few exceptions, to be sold from licensed dealers. The “Bipartisan” in the title is aspirational. Out of 210 total cosponsors for H.R.8, there are only 3 GOP cosponsors.
- H.R.1446 – Enhanced Background Checks Act of 2021 extends the background check time from 3 to 10 days to eliminate the “Charleston Loophole.” The name refers to the 2015 shooting of nine people at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal (A.M.E.) Church in Charleston, S.C., where Dylann Roof – who was prohibited by law from possessing a firearm – was able to acquire one under current federal law from the dealer after 3 days, before the FBI could complete his background check. Only 137 cosponsors have cosponsored this bill, all Democrats.
We expect both to pass the House, but thank your legislators anyway. (Rep-check here for HR. 8 and here for H.R.1446.) Reps. Brownley and Carbajal are signed onto both already. The problem will clearly occur in the Senate, so we also need to start calling our senators, and urging friends and family in RED states to call theirs.
NOTE: WE AREN’T THE ONLY ONES CALLING! Gun-owners AGAINST background checks are working the phones too.
Continue reading “Tues 3/9/21: H.R. 8 and H.R. 1446 – Gun background check bills – vote possible tomorrow. “YES” on both – Call your legislators!”
Action #1: Join the Ventura County Chapter of Brady United Against Gun Violence today at the Fair Board. No more state profits from gunshows! – 9 am.
- What: We are attending yet another Fair Board Meeting Tuesday, Nov 19, at 9 a.m. Join us! Help us convince the Board they MUST NOT schedule the FIVE GUN SHOWS in 2020 they are planning! State agencies should not promote and profit from the proliferation of guns and ammunition. They have it on the agenda to approve FIVE SHOWS in 2020! (Wear some orange!)
- When: Today at 9 am
- Facebook link: here.
- Brady United website link: here.
- Where: VC Fairgrounds- Derby Club 10 W. Harbor Blvd.
Action #2: “Civil Discourse Project with CSUCI students: Undocumented students on campus” – 12 pm
Continue reading “Tues 11/19: There’s resistance afoot and your presence is requested. Three important events happening today!”