They’re planning on passing this flaming turd on Wednesday afternoon. Their self-imposed and totally artificial deadline of giving Trump a multi-million dollar Christmas present at our expense prevents us, the losers in this game, from getting a complete idea of what’s in store for us. The most important bill we have, that will actually kill people – some of the 13 million who will lose their health insurance as a result of removing the ACA mandate and some who depend on Medicaid and other programs, is still cloaked in secrecy.
They won’t wait for Doug Jones, unlike the courtesy paid to them by Democrats who held off a health care reform vote for the newly elected Scott Brown. (Every good turn done to Mitch McConnell reminds on of the Scorpion and the Turtle story.)
Their game is incredibly cruel and corrupt. https://mobile.twitter.com/IndivisibleTeam/status/941728219887259648
This is all we know so far. They’ve just shuffled the goodies for the rich people’s stockings around a little.
- 37% top individual rate
- 21% top corporate rate starting 2018
- $10,000 cap on State and Local Tax deduction
- 20% deduction for “pass-through” corps
- Ends corporate AMT, keeps for individuals over $1 million
- Double estate tax exemption
- Repeals individual health insurance mandate (will d
- Raises repatriation rates from Senate bill (likely 8% for non-liquid funds, 15% for cash)
- Keeps grad student deduction
- Keeps medical expense deduction at 7.5% the next two years
- Allows drilling in ANWR
- It does NOT include the dark-money-from-churches language because all parts of the bill must have a budgetary effect to prevent opening the process up to Democratic filibuster. Burn!
The tax cuts for the wealthy will be paid for by us. No tax “cut” that they can give will make up for the losses we’ll suffer.
- Our schools.
- Our social safety net
- Funding for community health centers and CHIP will not escape funding cuts and will be paid for by cuts to other social safety net programs.
- Don’t know about the “natural disaster” hit for CA, but assuming it’s still there.
- Our economy.
- “Trickle-down” in a scam.
- Kansas has already proven it for us.
- Our health insurance. The little bit you might get back isn’t going to cover the raising costs and 13 million people are going to lose it completely. Sorry, Senator Collins, but you’re the only person who believes your colleagues will fix this.
- Millionaires and billionaires know all this is true. The good ones have said it out loud.
- Destruction of a natural wilderness for private gain.
- Fake trauma for extremely wealthy people.
Minimal Script for senators only: I’m calling to from [zip code] to ask that Sen. [___] to refuse to take a final vote on the tax scam until the new duly-elected Senator from Alabama is seated.
Minimal Script for both senators and representative: I’m calling to from [zip code] to ask that Rep./Sen. [___] to vote against the disastrous Republican tax bill and to return to regular order for these incredibly important issues.
Rep. Julia Brownley: (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Other Rep Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
Senator Feinstein: DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
Take part in Indivisible’s Peer-to-Peer calling tool to reach people in RED states!
Take part in local protests outside GOP offices!
Join with your local resistance groups outside your nearest GOP office on Monday or Tuesday. Or join us in one of the following locations: