Headline from Washington Post: “Republicans reach compromise tax plan…
So now, gentle reader, you’re thinking that the “compromise” must be incorporating a little actual benefit for poor and middle-class Americans…
But you would be wrong.
…expanding tax cuts for the wealthy.”
How is that a compromise, we wonder?
They’re raising their bargain-basement lower limit on corporate taxes from 20 to 21% and dropping the the top tax rate for families and individuals to 37%. Oh, wait a minute…
A distinction without a difference…
Both of these strategies will be paid for with our Medicaid, Medicare, and anything else they can take from us including Social Security. None of their trickle-down nonsense will actually work, and it never has. Look at Kansas. Direct theft from us has always been their go-to plan.
But we just played a magic trick of our own…Alabama elected a Democrat!
Mitch McConnell will do all he can to prevent Doug Jones from being seated before the #TrumpTaxScam can be voted on, letting a lame duck Senator (Luther Strange) appointed by a Governor that resigned in disgrace, vote instead.
There is precedent for demanding that the Senate hold their vote. After Scott Brown was elected in a special election in Massachusetts, there were no further votes on the Affordable Care Act until he was seated. That’s the approach that should be followed here.
Minimal Script for senators only: I’m calling to from [zip code] to ask that Sen. [___] to refuse to take a final vote on the tax scam until the new duly-elected Senator from Alabama is seated.
Minimal Script for both senators and representative: I’m calling to from [zip code] to ask that Rep./Sen. [___] to vote against the disastrous Republican tax bill when it comes out of the conference committee.
Minimal Script if you want it: [ADD as many of the following reasons or your own]:
- Tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations will create a massive deficit increase, which will then be paid for with devastating cuts to Medicare, Social Security, education, and other vital programs.
- This bill was written behind closed doors by lobbyists and the American people have been consistently lied to about what it will do to their pocketbooks and livelihoods.
- The repeal of the ACA individual mandate will completely upend the health insurance market, uninsuring millions, spiking premiums, and risking coverage for those with pre-existing conditions.
- This bill will hand over pristine Alaskan land to oil companies, destroying protected land and endangering wildlife.
- The elimination of the SALT deduction will cause millions of middle-income Americans to pay higher taxes.
- See here for additional inspiration.
Rep. Julia Brownley: (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Other Rep Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
Senator Feinstein: DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com