Action #1: First, take a moment to thank Joe!
UPDATE:#MoreThanThoughtsAndPrayers – Biden just issued an executive action against gun violence!The White House fact sheet details the administration’s six key actions:
- The Justice Department, within 30 days, will issue a proposed rule to help stop the proliferation of “ghost guns”;
- The Justice Department, within 60 days, will issue a proposed rule to make clear when a device marketed as a stabilizing brace effectively turns a pistol into a short-barreled rifle subject to the requirements of the National Firearms Act;
- The Justice Department, within 60 days, will publish model “red flag” legislation for states;
- The administration is investing in evidence-based community violence interventions;
- The Justice Department will issue an annual report on firearms trafficking; and
- The president will nominate David Chipman to serve as Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms.
Contact Joe here and tell him what this means to you, your friends and your family.
Continue reading “Joe’s actions are a great start. Now let’s pass some commonsense federal and state gun bills!”
Action: This is a good day to remind your legislators that we know exactly which group is holding up H.R.8. – Universal background checks.
H.R. 8 – “To require a background check for every firearm sale.” was passed by the House on Feb. 27, 2019, and was cosponsored by these legislators. (Brownley and Carbajal are both cosigners). Eight months later, it still hasn’t seen the inside of the Senate. Meanwhile, NRA friend, Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) has just launched his misdirected RESPONSE Act, which concentrates on mental health, despite minimal evidence that it’s tied to mass shootings, along with more shooter drills, increased surveillance of students and expedited executions of mass shooters. Nearly 1,700 children and teens die by gun homicide every year and that’s the best they can do. In comparison, vaping has killed a total of 33 people, yet our president is already planning to ban e-cigarette flavors that appeal to children.
The president is creating a myth that the House has done nothing but concentrate on impeaching him. Tell your senators that we are not fooled. Continue reading “Thurs 10/24: October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and domestic violence is a gun violence issue.”
Action – Thank our legislators for supporting H.R. 8.
Yesterday (1/8), on the eighth anniversary of the shooting that killed 6 and injured 12 people, including former Rep. Gabby Gifford, House Democrats introduced H.R. 8 – The Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019.
This bill would require all gun sellers, including private vendors, to conduct background checks on potential buyers. 11 states, including California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington and the District of Columbia already require universal background checks for all sales and transfers of any kind of firearm. Continue reading “Wed – 1/9: On the 8th day of hope, on the 8th anniversary of tragedy, the House introduces H.R.8 – The Universal Background Checks Act.”