Image by Viergacht from Pixabay
The trial of our corrupt president starts this afternoon, in front of a GOP-dominated Senate full of potential perjurers of their oaths of office.
UPDATE: Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is waiting for a confirmation vote for a resolution allowing both the House impeachment managers and Trump’s defense team 24 hours apiece to present their arguments. Less than an hour ago, those 24 hours had to be contained within 2 days, with opening statements starting at 1:00 pm and final arguments ending in the middle of the night. These shenanigans show us how seriously the GOP need to cover up Trump’s guilt and to get this trial over before the Feb. 4th State of the Union speech, where a still-impeached Trump will assuredly melt down on national TV. The overall trial time has since been changed to 3 days, which is similar to the Clinton impeachment trial, but not before McConnell was redubbed “Midnight Mitch.”
Action #1: Tell your Senators that the Senate Resolution is unacceptable.
Minimum script for GOP senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to know that I want [him/her] to
- Support witnesses, depositions, and the public release of testimony. (The resolution does not admit House evidence into the trial record until after the Senate votes on whether or not to call witnesses or admit documents.)
- Realize that we know that it’s actually the President’s duty to protect whistleblowers and if his team intends to call this person, how will [he/she] be protected?
Minimum script for Democratic senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to first thank Sen. [___] for publicly demanding a fair and open impeachment trial. We want a trial with open press coverage, reasonable start and ending times and witness testimony from Bolton, Guiliani, Perry, Perry, Pompeo, Lev Parnas and a representative of the GAO, which has determined that an actual “CRIME” had been committed.
Continue reading “Tues 1/21: Inquiring minds want to know: Do the president’s lawyers really need 24 hours to say two words over and over again?”
Action #1 – Go to your “NO WAR” rally tonight! There are over 365 of them across America!
Action #2 – Trump can use”emergency powers” to stop impeachment. His action of war against Iran is a warning.
Read yesterday’s post about the terrifying powers our immoral president can use “in case of emergency.” This is no mere “wag-the-dog” comedy. Make the calls to your legislators supporting all anti-war bills now.
Action #3 – Don’t send the articles to the Senate Chipper-Shredder of Oblivion yet!
Our more antsy legislators want to put up a white flag to McConnell and hand the articles of impeachment over to a rigged “trial” and certain dismissal or acquittal. (See Sen. Schumer’s statement here about McConnell’s misleading claims of similarity to the Clinton impeachment) There’s no hurry other than handing Trump a win before his Feb. 4th SOTU address. Our country deserves better. New developments will lead to additional charges and those involved need to speak on the record, using Congress’ power of inherent contempt if necessary, and be questioned by people who care about the answers. That means that the House has more work to do. Don’t let everything done so far evaporate in McConnell’s hands. This impeachment is worth a war to Trump. It’s worth a wait.
Minimal script for Nancy Pelosi: I’m calling from [zip code] to thank Speaker Nancy Continue reading “Thurs 1/9: “Hold on, Madam Speaker!” And don’t miss the anti-war rallies tonight!”
Since his impeachment, new information and possible new crimes, have come to light.
Two articles of impeachment were just not enough to contain our president. According to new reports in both Politico and justsecurity, he appears to have personally blocked Congressional-approved funding for Ukraine and then miraculously released it the day after Rep. Adam Schiff demanded to see the whistle-blower complaint. Until then, he and his administration ignored the Pentagon’s warnings of violating the Impoundment Control Act, causing $35.2 million of Ukraine’s funding to lapse and needing new congressional legislation to restore it. His actions could be a violation of a 1974 law created after President Richard Nixon refused to release funds approved by Congress…and a brand new article for his impeachment. (A timeline of this multi-player, slow-walking shakedown of a foreign country, including Trump’s long chat with Putin (May 3, 2019) here.) (20 emails on Ukraine aid still being withheld)
Action: It’s time to thank Nancy Pelosi and ask her to hold on.
Continue reading “Mon 1/6: Trump is willing to start a war to stop his impeachment. The GOP is willing to sell their souls. Are you willing to call your legislators?”
Thank-you post to all who came out on a cold and windy Tuesday night!
- Thanks to the 400-500 people who joined us last night in front of the Ventura County Government Center, from both our county and from further afield, who chose the sidewalk over their couch and the cold over comfort.
- Thanks to those who joined over 600 other events across the country to remind our legislators that no one is above the law in America.
- Thanks to those who wrangled big flags in strong winds and those who patiently held flashlights to illuminate them.
- Thanks to those who brought cookies and sugary joy.
- Thanks to that amazing woman who set up the hot cider station!
- Thanks to those who made signs – artistic signs, simple signs, funny, sad, angry and heartfelt signs, and to those who held light – candles and flashlights.
- Thanks to those who manned our voter registration table and to all who were already registered and ready to vote.
- Thanks to the volunteers who held our big “IMPEACH” letters and who transformed themselves into an impromptu, yet impressive drill team.
Continue reading “Wed.12/18: America stood in the cold to affirm that we still believe in the rule of law, not corrupt would-be kings!”
“In the course of my official duties, I have received information from multiple U.S. Government officials that the President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the 2020 U.S. election. This interference includes, among other things, pressuring a foreign country to investigate one of the President’s main domestic political rivals.” (Whistleblower complaint)
Action – Contact your friends and relatives with GOP legislators and ask them if they swore an oath to the Constitution or to a man.
Former Director of the United States Office of Government Ethics Walter Shaub, in reference to a clip of Fox News in which host Tucker Carlson’s roots for Russia over Ukraine states, “This clip is just one more exhibit supporting the case that it’s no longer left vs. right but democracy vs. authoritarianism. I think many still underestimate the threat to the republic.”
What does it mean to our democracy when a president abuses his power by using a Russian intelligence myth as a tool to pervert foreign policy into serving his personal interests?
Continue reading “Tues 11/26: GOP legislators…To what do you owe allegiance? Asking for the country we love…”
Action #1: JUDICIARY BRANCH – Steven Menashi’s up for a full Senate vote tomorrow! Ask your friends and family to call their GOP senators to stop the wholesale destruction of our justice system.
These extremist judges will harm women, children, people of color, LGBTQ people, labor, the environment, education, the poor, elderly, access to healthcare, housing, fair pay and the voting booth – rending the entire social fabric of a first world country with the exception of the interests of the very wealthy and corporations. (More information on each judge here.) Ask your GOP senator if you have one, or those you know who do, to stop these people from sitting in judgement of us for a generation.
- Sarah Pitlyk: Not only has she been judged unqualified by the American Bar Association, but this religious ideologue has already proven that she can’t be an impartial judge.
- Steven Menashi: His nomination is a threat to the civil rights of women, POC, students, the LGBTQ community, immigrants as well as to the environment.
- Halil S. Ozerden: – we do not need another corporatist judge, who ignores the rights of consumers and workers, and who sides with police abuse.
- Lawrence VanDyke: The ABA states he “is arrogant, lazy, and an ideologue.”
- Federalist Society: Also, please stop voting for any judicial nominations who are members of the Federalist Society, an extremist far-right group. Their members, who are just 4% of the legal community but more than 80% of Trumps’ nominees, do not reflect those views of most Americans.
Minimal script for Democratic Senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to vote “NO” on the following judicial nominees.
Minimal script for GOP senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to vote “NO” to Sarah Pitlyk, Steven Menashi, Lawrence VanDyke and Halil S. Ozerden. That your party destroyed the “blue slip” system, and no longer seems to care if candidates are qualified or even marginally impartial, will result in rulings that will harm your own constituents. Your support for these candidates implicates you in a corrupt system that will need to be cleaned out at the ballot box. Do the right thing.
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Action #2: EXECUTIVE BRANCH – Indivisible members just like you are calling blue voters in red states. Join in.
Continue reading “Wed 11/13: All three branches of our democracy are on fire. This is what you can do.”
When: 5:30 pm on the eve of the impeachment vote
Where: Corner of Victoria and Telephone in front of the Ventura Country Government Center. 800 S. Victoria Ave, Ventura
Bring: A flashlight to light the night! Bring flags, signs, friends and your unbridled enthusiasm!
RSVP: On the Facebook event page (we will be updating there)
More info and stay up to date: Visit impeach.org or the Facebook event page
At 5:30 pm on the eve of Trump’s impeachment vote (whenever that may be), at least 300 groups including from around our nation, including Indivisible and MoveOn.org, will hold events asking our Members of Congress to Impeach & Remove our incompetent, corrupt, and criminal President.
Nobody Is Above the Law. That’s why we’re calling on Congress to Impeach & Remove Donald Trump.
We will get out the word that the rally is being held whenever the national organizers determine that the impeachment vote is imminent. Watch the Facebook event page and impeach.org.
By choosing to attend this event, you are committing to participate nonviolently and in accordance with the law, to work to de-escalate confrontations with others, and to obey the orders of authorized event marshals and of law enforcement. You also acknowledge that you are solely responsible for any injury or damage to your person or property resulting from or occurring during this event and that you release all event sponsors and organizers (and their officers, directors, employees, and agents) from any liability for that injury or damage. We disavow all who advocate violence as a solution to our Nation’s present crisis.
Want to learn more about dealing with difficult people at rallies? Take SURJ’s class on Tues, the 19th. More information here.
Action #1: Stop saying “quid pro quo”. There is power in language. Say the real names of his crimes.
Does “quid pro quo” always equal a criminal act or can it apply to normal political horse trading? Mick Mulvaney gave us an object lesson in the slipperiness of this Latin phrase when he both confirmed that the administration had withheld aid to further Trump’s election campaign, while declaring it merely an instance of normal “political influence in foreign policy.” Luckily, our own language has unequivocal terms for the possible crimes Trump committed during his “perfect” phone call. So, go basic “Law & Order” and call them out by name. Here are the most powerful charges:
- Bribery/Extortion: Trump didn’t just ask for a personal favor from a foreign government, which is illegal by itself. He tied badly needed foreign aid to the tail of his request. So, bribery or extortion? According to Patrick Cotter, a former New York prosecutor who helped bring down the mobster John Gotti, that issue depends on whether the person being asked for a payout is closer to being an accomplice, or a victim. If the person is being threatened, then it may be extortion.
- That we are even having this discussion about “bribery or extortion” in regards to our president shows what trouble we are in.
- For those Thanksgiving guests/facebook friends who think colluding with foreign powers for private gain is no big deal, send them this video. Trump is why our founding fathers added impeachment to the Constitution.
Continue reading “Mon 11/11: FLIP 20! Public impeachment hearings start Wed. Call your friends & relatives in RED states and other actions!”
Action – If you still believe in this experiment in democracy called “America”, come, join us and roar!
We need to show Congress that there is broad resistance to Trump’s crimes. Join us at the Ventura County Government Center (corner of Victoria and Telephone) with your best signs and American flags for a peaceful rally from 1 pm- 3pm, tomorrow – Sunday, October 13th. (Facebook event here.) Bring great signs, American flags, Halloween costumes or whatever, because:
If we don’t stand up against a corrupt ruler who would use both a democracy struggling for its existence against Russia and a Communist super-power to ensure his own reelection, who will?
If we don’t stand up for the rights of whistleblowers to safely call out abuses of those in power, who will? (We’re waiting for our big bag-o-whistles to arrive! )
And if we don’t call out amoral GOP collaborators and demand that they relocate their “morals” and dedication to American values, who will?
Make your own great poster or check these links out…Free poster links here and here, low-cost downloadable posters here. If anybody has other great sources, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add them in!
The earthquake is starting…
Continue reading “Sat 10/12: The public turns. The time to add pressure to the system is NOW! Take your place at the impeachment rally on SUNDAY!”