Action #1: JUDICIARY BRANCH – Steven Menashi’s up for a full Senate vote tomorrow! Ask your friends and family to call their GOP senators to stop the wholesale destruction of our justice system.
These extremist judges will harm women, children, people of color, LGBTQ people, labor, the environment, education, the poor, elderly, access to healthcare, housing, fair pay and the voting booth – rending the entire social fabric of a first world country with the exception of the interests of the very wealthy and corporations. (More information on each judge here.) Ask your GOP senator if you have one, or those you know who do, to stop these people from sitting in judgement of us for a generation.
- Sarah Pitlyk: Not only has she been judged unqualified by the American Bar Association, but this religious ideologue has already proven that she can’t be an impartial judge.
- Steven Menashi: His nomination is a threat to the civil rights of women, POC, students, the LGBTQ community, immigrants as well as to the environment.
- Halil S. Ozerden: – we do not need another corporatist judge, who ignores the rights of consumers and workers, and who sides with police abuse.
- Lawrence VanDyke: The ABA states he “is arrogant, lazy, and an ideologue.”
- Federalist Society: Also, please stop voting for any judicial nominations who are members of the Federalist Society, an extremist far-right group. Their members, who are just 4% of the legal community but more than 80% of Trumps’ nominees, do not reflect those views of most Americans.
Minimal script for Democratic Senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to vote “NO” on the following judicial nominees.
Minimal script for GOP senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to vote “NO” to Sarah Pitlyk, Steven Menashi, Lawrence VanDyke and Halil S. Ozerden. That your party destroyed the “blue slip” system, and no longer seems to care if candidates are qualified or even marginally impartial, will result in rulings that will harm your own constituents. Your support for these candidates implicates you in a corrupt system that will need to be cleaned out at the ballot box. Do the right thing.
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Action #2: EXECUTIVE BRANCH – Indivisible members just like you are calling blue voters in red states. Join in.
“Democrats are particularly prone to toggling between overconfident jubilance and terrified paralysis,” said Ben Wikler, who was elected Wisconsin Democratic Party chair in June after years with the progressive organizing group MoveOn.
- What solves terrified paralysis? Diving in to do the work. Realizing that you are not alone.
- What are the stats?: 53 senate seats held by republicans. 23 of those GOP senate seats are before voters in 2020.
- The project: We must overwhelm at least 20 republican senators with calls from their own constituents and shame them (or make them worried about their own re-election) into doing their constitutional duty: voting to remove this corrupt President from office. Starting today and through next week, Indivisible is running shifts for a whole new batch of key senators, including:
- Sen. David Perdue (GA)
- Sen. Dan Sullivan (AK)
- Sen. Mitt Romney (UT)
- Sen. Ben Sasse (NE)
- So far: Indivisible members have already made 419,000 calls to other progressive people living in red states and connected them to directly their own senators.
- Join in! Beginners and serious introverts welcome!: Sign up for a shift here. There’s tons of instructions.
(We will be posting writing actions tomorrow. Stay tuned)
Action #3 – LEGISLATIVE BRANCH – Do you know people with GOP senators? – CALL THEM!
Do you think this quiz is easy? Watch these videos as polite, but dogged members of MoveOn ask a variety of senators the top question. (Hint, they don’t even get to question #2)
If you know someone who lives in a state with GOP senators and especially those listed below, ask them to express, loudly and frequently, their dissatisfaction with the criminal and corrupt behavior of the President. Like…every day! Politicians just want to get re-elected, so calls from both sides are carefully counted. The calls can take less than 10 seconds to make and your friends and family can make them while waiting for their coffee to brew.
Then ask for a little more… The NAACP created the “Power of Five” campaign to empower voters to take leadership of their own spheres of influence by reaching out to 5 people they know. Ask your friends and relatives identify 5 friends of their own to reach out to and get involved with this action as well.
Minimal message to GOP Senator: I’m calling from [zip code] and want Senator [__] to publicly acknowledge that the President has violated his Oath of Office & the Constitution and has subverted our democracy for the benefit of foreign powers. Sen. [__] took an oath as well, and therefore, on his/her honor, he/she must vote “YES” to the articles of impeachment and to restoring the rule of law to our country.
Contact numbers for all Senators: here.
- (#Alaska) Murkowski – She’s voted against President when pressed by constituents. Alaskans are working on her.
- (#Arizona) McSally – Already running behind former astronaut Kelly for John McCain’s former seat that McSally was appointed to after she lost in 2018. (accepted a fundraising “bribe” from Trump’s reelection campaign.)
- (#Colorado) Gardner – Up for re-election in 2020 in a swing state where he is considered one the most vulnerable senate republicans. (accepted a fundraising “bribe” from Trump’s reelection campaign.)
- (#Florida) Rubio has run against President or publicly disagreed with him at times.
- (#Georgia) Isakson – Resigning 12/31/19, seat filled by appointment until special election in November 2020.
- (#Iowa) Ernst – both Iowa senators are disagreeing with the President and voicing support for the Ukraine scandal whistleblower. (accepted a fundraising “bribe” from Trump’s reelection campaign.)
- (#Iowa) Grassley – both Iowa senators are disagreeing with the President and voicing support for the Ukraine scandal whistleblower.
- (#Kansas) Roberts is retiring and no longer needs to coddle campaign donors.
- (#Maine) Collins – Voters on her state are still angry about her Kavanaugh vote, crowdsourced campaign funds raised millions of dollars for her eventual opponent, likely faces uphill struggle for re-election if she doesn’t retire; already expressing disapproval of President’s actions.
- (#Nebraska) Sasse has criticized the President in the past.
- (#Ohio) Portman has run against President or publicly disagreed with him at times.
- (#Tennessee) Alexander is retiring and no longer needs to coddle campaign donors.
- (#Texas) Cruz has run against President or publicly disagreed with him at times.
- (#Utah) Romney – A full throated disapproval of President’s suggestion China should investigate Biden, President is already viscously attacking Romney.
- (#WestVirginia) Capito was one of three GOP women that voted to preserve the Affordable Care Act;
- (#Wyoming) Enzi is retiring and no longer needs to coddle campaign donors.