Thank-you post to all who came out on a cold and windy Tuesday night!
- Thanks to the 400-500 people who joined us last night in front of the Ventura County Government Center, from both our county and from further afield, who chose the sidewalk over their couch and the cold over comfort.
- Thanks to those who joined over 600 other events across the country to remind our legislators that no one is above the law in America.
- Thanks to those who wrangled big flags in strong winds and those who patiently held flashlights to illuminate them.
- Thanks to those who brought cookies and sugary joy.
- Thanks to that amazing woman who set up the hot cider station!
- Thanks to those who made signs – artistic signs, simple signs, funny, sad, angry and heartfelt signs, and to those who held light – candles and flashlights.
- Thanks to those who manned our voter registration table and to all who were already registered and ready to vote.
- Thanks to the volunteers who held our big “IMPEACH” letters and who transformed themselves into an impromptu, yet impressive drill team.
Continue reading “Wed.12/18: America stood in the cold to affirm that we still believe in the rule of law, not corrupt would-be kings!”
Action #1 – It’s ON TONIGHT! Join in with over
617 618 rallies happening everywhere. Dress warmly.
Where are they? Can I still get involved? YES! Click here.
Last night, Indivisible made the Rachel Maddow show regarding TONIGHT’s rallies! This is a great 3-minute explanation of how political power works and how we, the public, play an important role.
You count. “History is watching us.” Read this thread about what we remember about the Nixon impeachment. What we are preparing to do tonight dwarfs the public efforts of that time. Continue reading “Tues 12/17: Literally stand on the right side of history tonight. Join a rally near you!”
(Kangaroos by Pixabay.)
Above: Senator Lindsey Graham quote, Senator Mitch McConnell quote.
“I solemnly swear [or affirm, as the case may be] that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of [the person being impeached], now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.”
Quote from Chapter IV, Paragraph 5 & Chapter XXV of the Senate Rules
Action – The fix is in.
The “jury foreman” – Sen. McConnell is bragging about “total coordination” with the defendant administration.
“Sen. McConnell has promised to sabotage that trial, and he must recuse himself. No court in the country would allow a member of the jury to also serve as the accused’s defense attorney. The moment Sen. McConnell takes the oath of impartiality required by the Constitution, he will be in violation of that oath. He has effectively promised to let President Trump manage his own impeachment trial,” Rep. Val Demings declared in a news release issued by her office Friday afternoon.
House Judiciary Committee member, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) stated “In other words, the jury – Senate Republicans – are going to coordinate with the defendant – Donald Trump – on how exactly the kangaroo court is going to be run.” On Twitter, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) added that McConnell is “proudly announcing he is planning to rig the impeachment trial for Trump.” Continue reading “Mon 12/16: Can you say “recusal?””
Wake up the sleeping giant!
Indivisible started with the simple conclusion that Tea Party tactics, including mass call-in campaigns to legislators, had been devastatingly effective in changing the course of politics that led to the election of Donald Trump.
They also knew that there are a lot more Americans in favor of progressive policies than the opposite, and if these people would to contact their legislators too, we could overwhelm the efforts, and influence, of a minority supporting bigotry and anti-democracy.
But impeachment, and the next presidency won’t be handed to us because it’s the right thing to do, or because more people want progressive change. The other side is working 3x as hard to make up for their smaller size. We, a sleeping giant, need to wake up.
We have to call.
Action #1 – CALL! Don’t take your Democratic legislators for granted.
Make sure your local representative knows you support them doing the right thing.
- If you have a Democratic representative, remind them that you have their backs and thank them for all that they’ve done so far. Remind the 10 House Democrats who want censure instead of impeachment to be braver. These include Reps. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.), Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.), Anthony Brindisi (D-N.Y.), and Ben McAdams (D-Utah). Two Democrats have announced they will definitely oppose impeachment: Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey, and Colin Peterson of Minnesota. Tulsi Gabbord (D-HI) won’t say but she’s playing to GOP audiences.
- (indivisible.org) If you have a Republican representative in the House, remind them of their oath to protect the Constitution and that you demand they support impeachment now. Remind them that if Congress does nothing, then our Constitution means nothing. Our democracy will mean nothing. The facts of the case are indisputable.
Minimal script for Democratic legislators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to thank [Rep/Sen.] for their unwavering support of impeachment. Continue reading “Fri 12/13: Emergency! Call! Write! Call again!”