Updated 7/3/18 with additional photos!
- THANKS to all of you who came out on Saturday to demonstrate what really makes America great!
- Thanks also to those who reached out across city boundaries and joined in with other locations. Some people went to three events and we know of at least two people who went to four. For those of you who took great pictures you’re willing to share here, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note which city you’re in.
- Showing what we’re made of didn’t end on Saturday. Please join us in the effective action of calling your legislators every day. Here’s a bunch of phone scripts on immigration to make it easy for even the most phone-phobic amongst us. Each will take you less than 10 seconds. Tell them, GOP and Democrats alike, what we WANT them to do (Democrats need to know you have their backs) and to THANK them when they do the right thing.
- Want to do more? Here’s a list of great things to help!
- One thing that helps is to talk to people in your normal daily life. Tell them about your experience at this rally. For those who are interested, promise to carpool together to the next one.
- For those who repeat the administration’s fearful rhetoric, remind them that MS-13 is not a danger to them and for the “MY-PEOPLE-CAME-HERE-LEGALLY” crowd, remind them that immigration laws didn’t exist for white people until 1924. Even after that, quotas favored white immigrants over others. Ask them if they would be as brave as these people, to leave everything behind and take a dangerous journey, if:
- …a gang or a police militia unit threatened to kill their children (or grandchildren) and nobody in authority would help?
- …they were willing to work hard, but all the jobs in their area disappeared and malnutrition or worse became a real possibility
Media Links to our local rallies
Julia Brownley opinion piece, VC Star story, video, KEYT story (picture below), Nation-wide
Continue reading “6/30 – 7/2: Ventura County stood up for kids and families. Thank you. Photos and Actions!”
(– St. Francis of Assisi)
The converse of St. Francis’ statement, unfortunately, is also true.
Our president has asked us to be fearful.
Unlike John F. Kennedy’s inspirational call to action – “ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country,” – for the public to rise up for justice and the greater good, our current president has asked Americans to become to be the smallest and least version of ourselves.
Today’s post is not action call, nor is it a sermon. It’s a reminder of why we fight everyday.
Continue reading “Sunday – 6/17: “Where there is charity and wisdom, there is neither fear nor ignorance.””
It is also a crime. Routine separation of asylum-seeking families violates international law. From slavery to Manzanar, we already know that America is capable of grave moral lapses. In the future, school children will wonder how we, literally a nation of immigrants, stood by and let this happen to children like them.
Part #1 – First we rip kids away from their parents…
At a law enforcement conference in Arizona, AG Jeff Sessions declared that the Department of Justice will try to deter those seeking asylum with a policy of “100% prosecution” of all who enter the U.S. illegally and separating parents from children instead of keeping them in a detention center together. “If you are smuggling a child then we will prosecute you, and that child will be separated from you as required by law.”
Homeland Security is cruelly separating families at the border for no legitimate reason. Immigration authorities have separated at least 700 children from their families, and about a hundred of them are under the age of four. Continue reading “Thurs 5/10: “Child-abuse-by-government” is now official policy. We cannot be silent.”
Help people become citizens…and VOTERS! No Spanish language ability required.
Here’s something we, as private citizens, can do to help our neighbors through a process that was usually much easier when many of our own families crossed into America. (Exceptions here)
TODAY – THURSDAY, Feb 1st: Train to be a Citizenship Fair Volunteer!
Come listen to an enlightening, frightening and often hilarious lecture from local immigration attorney Vanessa Frank on how to help a green card holder fill out their N-400 “Application for Naturalization” form successfully. You do not need to be able to speak Spanish. Then, sign up for a shift at the next Citizenship Fair, Feb. 3rd (this Saturday) or be prepared for the next one on March 17th. Fairs are held more often than trainings, so don’t miss tonight’s event.
Volunteers are also needed to work with the children, do registration at the door, etc..
5-7 pm at the UU Church of Ventura. 5654 Ralston Street, Ventura.
Citizenship Fairs – There’s one this Saturday!
Feb. 3rd Citizenship Fair – Link for flyer here. Saturday from 9 am to 3 pm (sign up for available time shifts). It will be held at the Cesar E. Chavez Elementary School Cafeteria. 301 N. Marquite St. Oxnard, CA 93030. To RSVP please contact: Shannon Lopez email@example.com (805) 990-5214 Continue reading “Today: Yes, you can do this. Be a Citizenship Fair volunteer.”