THIS WEEK’S ACTION ITEMS
TOWN HALL MEETING UPDATES:
Feinstein: She’s speaking at a gathering in San Francisco on the 24th. It is sold out.
Harris: Check back with her website later this week.
Brownley: We’ll be there – and you should be too! Tuesday, February 21, Healthcare Town Hall, Click here for information
(Call them all and tell them that this is important to you and you’re waiting… We called them all and said “What about Ventura County? – We voted for you too!)
FOR CONGRESSWOMAN JULIA BROWNLEY:
((202) 225-5811 DC, (805) 379-1779 Oxnard, (805) 379-1779 T.O.)
A. Trump and Russia: Ask her to confirm support for H.Con.Res.15 – Asserting that Congress should expend the resources necessary to investigate thoroughly the nature and extent of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election, including whether there was collusion between persons associated with the Russian government and persons associated with the presidential campaign of Donald J. Trump to influence the outcome of the election.
B. Planned Parenthood: Brownley opposes HR 354 – “Defund Planned Parenthood Act of 2017”. Call her up and thank her for supporting PP.
C. Say “No” to Steve Bannon being on the Security Council. Brownley is cosponsoring HR 804 “Protect the National Security Council From Political Interference Act of 2017”. Call her up and thank her.
FOR SENATORS FEINSTEIN AND HARRIS:
(DC switchboard (202) 224-3121, other #’s below.)
1. Oppose David Friedman for Ambassador to Israel
Script: “Hi, my name is [NAME] and I’m a constituent from [CITY, ZIP]. I’m calling to express my opposition to David Friedman’s nomination as US ambassador to Israel. His rejection of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a radical departure from US foreign policy and could jeopardize the peace process. Thank you for your hard work answering the phones.”
2. Say “No” to Rick Perry for Energy
Script: “Hi my name is ____, I am a constituent of Sen. (Harris/Feinstein) and I am calling to urge you to vote “NO” on the confirmation of Rick Perry for Secretary of Energy. Gov. Perry has no scientific or professional background that qualifies him to serve in this role. His fundamental misunderstanding that the DOE is responsible for securing our nation’s nuclear arsenal makes him wholly unqualified for this role. Furthermore, he is on the record as a climate change skeptic, and I believe he is unlikely to continue the DOE’s cultivation of safe, renewable energy sources. I hope you will demand a higher qualification for this important position than political loyalty to the President-Elect. Thank you.”
3. Say “No” to Ben Carson for Housing and Urban Development
Script: “I’m calling to urge you to block the appointment of Dr. Ben Carson as head of the Department of Housing and Urban Development. Dr. Carson himself admits that lacks the experience and expertise necessary for this, or any, cabinet position, and his retrograde statements on fair housing rules are a threat to the civil rights of countless American citizens. Please block Dr. Carson’s confirmation. Thank you.”
5. Say “No” to Steve Bannon being on the Security Council
Both Feinstein and Harris co-sponsored S.291 – “Strengthening Oversight of National Security Act of 2017” aimed right at Bannon.
Call them both up and thank them for their support.
6. Combat Donald Trump’s SCOTUS Pick Neil Gorsuch.
– Dianne Feinstein: She has co-sponsored “S.27 – A bill to establish an independent commission to examine and report on the facts regarding the extent of Russian official and unofficial cyber operations and other attempts to interfere in the 2016 United States national election, and for other purposes.” She has also put out a press release for Jeff Sessions “[W]e ask that you recuse yourself from any investigations into contacts between the Trump campaign, transition team, or administration and Russian government officials or associates, including ongoing investigations into Russian interference with the 2016 election,” the senators wrote on Thursday. “We also ask that you take all necessary steps to ensure that these investigations continue unimpeded and free from political pressure or interference.” Full letter here.(http://www.feinstein.senate.gov/…/2BC1400AA9E7295571091DAF8…
– Kamala Harris put out a letter with fellow members of the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee formally requesting an investigation focusing on “Russia’s attempt to infiltrate and influence the U.S. presidential eleven…by attacking the nations’ election infrastructure.”
– Call them both and thank them for their efforts
9. Planned Parenthood: Both Harris and Feinstein oppose S.241 which is laughingly called “Protect Funding for Women’s Health CAre Act” but whose first line is “To prohibit Federal funding of Planned Parenthood Federation of America.” Call them and thank them for their support of PP.
(202) 224-3841 DC
(310) 914-7300 LA
(415) 393-0707 SF
(619) 231-9712 SD
(559) 485-7430 Fresno
(202) 224-3553 DC
(213) 894 – 5000 LA
(916) 448 – 2787 Sac
(916) 448 – 2787 Fresno
(415) 355 – 9041 SF
(619) 239 – 3884 SD
FROM VENTURA INDIVISIBLE: See full list of voting for cabinet confirmations so far…
If you need help on what to say, click on this. There may be a script you can adapt. https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources
DAILY BONUS ROUND
Per our Workshop: Don’t forget Paul Ryan! He can be reached at home by letter or post at the following address:
Senator Paul R yan
700 St. Lawrence Ave.
Janesville, WI 53545
We’re sure he would love to hear your opinions on his plans to gut the ACA, Social Security and Medicare.
1. Done (Andy Puzder has withdrawn as Labor Secretary nominee).
2. Scott Pruitt has been confirmed. Hopefully, the emails may undue him.
3. Currently working on next steps to get Trump’s taxes. Stay tuned.
Tips from our Workshop expert speaker, Christina Eliason, from Indivisible SB: Call your senators EVERY DAY.
Always provide your ZIP CODE,
Call about ONE subject only, per call.
Call once per day, or multiple times per day with one ask for each call.
Leave a message if you can’t speak to a person.
If you can’t get through, try again later.
(Remember, other than the snail mail exception for Senator RYAN, you only have to focus on our own Senators and Representative: Feinstein, Harris and Brownley. As we discussed in the Workshop, the issues listed below are the ones that are happening in the near future and have their full attention. This, combined with info from the SB policy group we’ll be sending later, are the most efficient use of your time and creates the strongest pressure. Thanks! – Indivisible Ventura)