Image by Flash Alexander from Pixabay. Post updated 12/18/19
Wake up the sleeping giant!
Indivisible started with the simple conclusion that Tea Party tactics, including mass call-in campaigns to legislators, had been devastatingly effective in changing the course of politics that led to the election of Donald Trump.
They also knew that there are a lot more Americans in favor of progressive policies than the opposite, and if these people would to contact their legislators too, we could overwhelm the efforts, and influence, of a minority supporting bigotry and anti-democracy.
But impeachment, and the next presidency won’t be handed to us because it’s the right thing to do, or because more people want progressive change. The other side is working 3x as hard to make up for their smaller size. We, a sleeping giant, need to wake up.
We have to call.
Action #1 – CALL! Don’t take your Democratic legislators for granted.
Make sure your local representative knows you support them doing the right thing.
- If you have a Democratic representative, remind them that you have their backs and thank them for all that they’ve done so far. Remind the 10 House Democrats who want censure instead of impeachment to be braver. These include Reps. Josh Gottheimer (D-N.J.), Kurt Schrader (D-Ore.), Anthony Brindisi (D-N.Y.), and Ben McAdams (D-Utah). Two Democrats have announced they will definitely oppose impeachment: Jeff Van Drew of New Jersey, and Colin Peterson of Minnesota. Tulsi Gabbord (D-HI) won’t say but she’s playing to GOP audiences.
- (indivisible.org) If you have a Republican representative in the House, remind them of their oath to protect the Constitution and that you demand they support impeachment now. Remind them that if Congress does nothing, then our Constitution means nothing. Our democracy will mean nothing. The facts of the case are indisputable.
Minimal script for Democratic legislators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to thank [Rep/Sen.] for their unwavering support of impeachment.
Minimal script for Democratic congress members who oppose impeachment: I’m calling from [zip code] and I understand that [___] is worried about his/her future electability. Members of the House have been given a simple test of their fidelity to the Constitution. We have their back. Please do what their oaths of office require of them and hold a corrupt president in check.”
Rep. Julia Brownley (CA-26): email,DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Action #2 – Can you say “recusal?” CALL YOUR SENATORS!
The fix is in for a kangaroo court, and more destruction of democratic mores. Call your legislators and tell them that we expect them to do the right thing.
- For Democratic senators, demand that they speak out loudly and firmly about the need for a fair and open impeachment trial in the Senate. Here is a great explainer from our friends at Public Citizen about the basics of ensuring a fair and open trial.
- For Republican senators, remind them of the oath that they took to support and defend the Constitution and ask whether they will support a fair and open trial in the Senate to fully hear the evidence and hold Trump accountable for his actions.
Scripts, more information and contact information here.
Action #3 – CALL your friends and family and get them involved too!
Even theAmericanConservative.com says impeachment is the right thing to do. Make sure your contacts in GOP-run states know the power of their phone calls to their legislators regarding the impeachment hearings. Then ask them reach out to five fellow local voters to call as well. Share this video on calling to inspire them.
Update: “Former Massachusetts Gov. Bill Weld (R) claimed a number of Republican senators are now privately in support of President Donald Trump being convicted in a Senate impeachment trial.” Push them over the line – CALL!
Contact for all legislators: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Here’s some script suggestions or make your own.
- Minimal script for GOP legislators: I’m calling from [zip code]. Members of the House have been given a simple test of their fidelity to the Constitution. Is the[Rep/Sen.] an enabler of presidential abuse of power and corruption, or will they do what their oaths of office require of them and hold a corrupt president in check?”
- Minimal script for GOP legislators:I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to ask [Rep/Sen.] to answer one question. Is [Rep.__/Sen.__] working as an agent of a foreign intelligence force to spread Kremlin-backed myths against Ukraine to protect President Trump from impeachment?
- Minimal script for GOP legislators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to ask [Rep/Sen.] to answer one question. Does [Rep.__/Sen.__] affirm allegiance to American democracy as is required in his/her oath of office or to a president carrying out Russian actions for personal gain? The truth is now clear that it can only be one or the other.
- Minimal script for GOP legislators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I’m calling to demand that [Rep/Sen.] vote YES to impeach Donald Trump. Multiple witnesses have made it clear that Trump tried to bribe Ukraine with military aid and then covered it up by withholding evidence and blocking witnesses. Don’t stand with a tyrant. No one is above the law. I urge you to stand with your constituents and hold Trump accountable by voting for impeachment.
- Minimal script for GOP legislators: I’m calling from [zip code] to express my strongest support for the impeachment inquiry against Donald Trump. Trump’s repeated abuses of power for personal and financial gain merit a thorough investigation. Thank you for your time and attention.
Action #4 – Write postcards to all senators!
The Impeachment of DJT is moving along quickly (HOORAY) and while the House is certain to vote to Impeach, the Senate is not…unless we pressure them! Please share these materials (google drive or this page) with anyone you think will help with this effort. We may think our little effort doesn’t amount to much but multiplied by the hundreds, thousands, and yes, millions of Americans who feel exactly as we do, then we can change this situation. U.S. Senators are a fearful bunch, right now they fear Trump more than us. Let’s change that equation because THEY WORK FOR US!
- 4 printable postcard designs
- Print out the postcard designs of your choice on heavy duty, white card stock. (Constitution, Russian Doll, Trump Putin, U.S. Flag)
- Using permanent ink (a fine point Sharpie is best) address it to the Senator.
- Write your short, clear message (See suggestions below.)
- Don’t be a Russian Asset! Vote to Impeach and Remove Trump!
- The Rule of Law is ALL! Vote to Impeach and Remove Trump!
- Add a postcard stamp (or $.35 cents postage.)
- Mail your card and REPEAT!
- Here are all the addresses for GOP Senators (plus a Dem and an Ind who generally vote with them). Write to as many of them as you want, the more the better, as often as you want to! All it takes is some of your time, some card stock, your printer, and stamps.
Action #5 – Write a letter to your local paper!
[from Political Charge] “Indivisible has put together a short guide to help people write op-eds in support of impeachment for their local paper. It’s a great way to be seen by your Congressperson but also by the local community. There is power in seeing that you have neighbors who feel the way you do about impeachment. The national news conversation may or may not match what you’re seeing locally. Indivisible’s guide includes a tool to help you find local papers that will accept your op-ed, talking points to include, writing tips, and a sample op-ed to give you some ideas.”
Action #6 – Yes, the rallies were amazing!
See information on our local rally and others here.
Action #7 – Help us finish the poem!
This is an action for both a little stress relief and to get your creative activism powers flowing. Send in your stanzas to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll put them together to create a poem to read at upcoming impeachment events! Here’s the original poem to assist!