(Kangaroos by Pixabay.)
Above: Senator Lindsey Graham quote, Senator Mitch McConnell quote.
“I solemnly swear [or affirm, as the case may be] that in all things appertaining to the trial of the impeachment of [the person being impeached], now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws: So help me God.”
Quote from Chapter IV, Paragraph 5 & Chapter XXV of the Senate Rules
Action – The fix is in.
The “jury foreman” – Sen. McConnell is bragging about “total coordination” with the defendant administration.
“Sen. McConnell has promised to sabotage that trial, and he must recuse himself. No court in the country would allow a member of the jury to also serve as the accused’s defense attorney. The moment Sen. McConnell takes the oath of impartiality required by the Constitution, he will be in violation of that oath. He has effectively promised to let President Trump manage his own impeachment trial,” Rep. Val Demings declared in a news release issued by her office Friday afternoon.
House Judiciary Committee member, Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) stated “In other words, the jury – Senate Republicans – are going to coordinate with the defendant – Donald Trump – on how exactly the kangaroo court is going to be run.” On Twitter, Sen. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.) added that McConnell is “proudly announcing he is planning to rig the impeachment trial for Trump.”
Once the Senate leader vows to partner with a president’s lawyers during a trial, there is literally zero chance of the impartial justice that GOP Rep. Robert McClory was able to muster during the Watergate trial. Please take time today to watch his statement regarding the impeachment of President Nixon in 1974.
We deserve better than McConnell, Graham and their spineless friends.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask Sen/Rep. [___] to request that Senators McConnell and Lindsey Graham and all others who’ve publicly stated that they do not intend to carry out their duty in good faith, to recuse themselves from the Senate impeachment probe PRIOR to committing perjury.
- Find out where your representative stands here or here.
- Find your rally information here.
- Find additional actions you can take here.
Rep. Julia Brownley (CA-26): email,DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Deeper Dive – Reading/Watching
- Val Demings charges Mitch McConnell cannot take oath for impeachment, must withdraw (Flapol)
- House Dem makes case McConnel should recuse in impeachment trial. (msnbc.com)
- Seven outright falsehoods in the GOP staff report on impeachment (just security)
- GOP Senators admitting they intend to violate oath (CNN)
- Democrats blast GOP senators for saying they won’t impeach Trump before trial. (Slate)
- The remedy for Mitch McConnell (Atlantic)
- McConnell faces calls to recuse himself from impeachment trial after saying “no chance” Trump will be removed. (Commondreams)
- The fateful vote to impeach (1974) (Time)
- Trump’s Senate Trial is rigged, but a Watergate hero has an idea for saving impeachment (PhiladelphiaInquirer)
What Senator Lindsey Graham used to say...
Add these to the list: Attorney Richard Painter, who previously served as the chief White House ethics lawyer in George W. Bush’s administration, tweeted.
The following senators have signed onto a resolution condemning the inquiry as “unprecedented and undemocratic.”: Mr. BARRASSO, Mrs. BLACKBURN, Mr. BLUNT, Mr. BOOZMAN, Mr. BRAUN, Mr. BURR, Mrs. CAPITO, Mr. CASSIDY, Mr. CORNYN Mr. COTTON, Mr. CRAMER, Mr. CRAPO, Mr. CRUZ, Mr. DAINES, Ms. ERNST, Mrs. FISCHER, Mr. GRAHAM, Mr. GRASSLEY, Mr. HAWLEY, Mrs. HYDE-SMITH, Mr. INHOFE, Mr. KENNEDY, Mr. LEE, Mr. JOHNSON, Mr. LANKFORD, Mr. MCCONNELL, Mr. PERDUE, Mr. PAUL, Mr. RISCH, Mr. ROUNDS, Mr. SCOTT (FL), Mr. SCOTT (SC), Mr. THUNE, Mr. TILLIS, Mr. WICKER, Mr. YOUNG