Action #1. SURJ – Tell your state senator that you support the VISION Act (AB937) Deadline – Friday!
Send an email of support for the VISION Act (AB937). (Text here.) It’s passed through the Assembly, and now needs a boost through the Senate.
Human Rights Watch has endorsed the VISION Act, as it would enact the following reforms:
- build on recent criminal legal system reforms by prohibiting local and state agencies from conducting immigration arrests and from assisting or facilitating immigration arrests, which includes prohibiting ICE transfers;
- prohibit California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) parole agents and county probation officers from collaborating with ICE to funnel individuals who are on parole into immigration detention; and
- ensure that refugees and immigrants are treated equally by prohibiting state agencies, local agencies, and courts from using immigration status as a factor to deny or to recommend denial of placement in a diversion program, rehabilitation program, credit-earning program or class, or mental health program.
Here is a sample letter you can cut and paste to create your email. Try to use your own voice as much as possible.
To contact your state senator:
- Senator Limon (District 19) here,
- Senator Stern (District 27) here.
- Not sure who that is? Enter your address here.
SURJ VC works in solidarity with the ICE Out of Ventura County Coalition and the VISION Act aligns with our demands locally for the Sheriff to stop voluntarily cooperating with ICE. If you are interested in joining SURJ and their work around immigrant justice, email them at email@example.com.
Action #2: SURJ – Vigil to Stop the SoCalGas Compressor Construction today! (4-6pm!) 1550 N Olive St, Ventura
Facebook link here: https://www.facebook.com/events/1227345751017400/
Video from April 24, 2021Continue reading “Two actions to take today!”