Action – Remove Discriminatory Citizenship Question from 2020 U.S. Census! – Deadline, Tuesday, Aug. 7th, 11:59 pm EST
How to comment on this census scam:
- Click here to comment. Write, submit, you’re done.
- You can also submit your comment through the MomsRising.org site here. Add a personal message if you can.
- If you’re interested in reading the administration’s nonsense explanation of this whole scam, click here.
- If you need more inspiration, go here. (currently under construction, apparently)
Why is this census so important?: It’s critical that the U.S. Census gets an accurate headcount of everyone in the United States. The population counts are used to determine:
- how to allocate billions of tax dollars (hospitals, public schools, public services, etc.)
- how many U.S. representatives in Congress a state should have.
- Every state is allocated a number of electoral votes based to the number of senators and representatives in its U.S. Congressional delegation—two votes for its senators in the U.S. Senate plus one for each of its members in the U. S. House of Representatives. Right now, CA has the largest number at 55.
Continue reading “Fri 8/3: It just takes one census question on citizenship to steal power from our state. Comment now to stop this! Deadline Tuesday, Aug. 7th.”
First – Need some borrowed energy?
- Read this and this.
- Join us! Check out our “Local Events – Resist” listing. Here’s some things happening soon!
– Today we’re having a postcard party. We’ll be listing more of these soon.
– January 7th, we’re having our first canvassing and registration party of 2018. We’re doing this almost every week, so come out. You’ll always get training and work alongside experienced people.
- Resistance works.
- If you’ve ever thought about joining in a phonebank but found the whole idea really scary, there is a conference call training session TONIGHT (Jan. 4th) at 7 pm PST to help break it down for us phone-phobic people!
- If calling anyone, especially your legislators, makes you nervous, click here.
1. Lend your courage to our Senators in the fight for DACA
Senator Feinstein almost reneged on her promise. Your calls made her stand up. Never underestimate the power of calling your Democratic legislators. Start revving up her courage and willpower starting today! Use this short script below and give her a “welcome back” call.)
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] to urge Congressperson/Senator [___] to require the addition of a clean Dream Act as a condition of any spending bill until the Dream Act passes.
More script if you need it: Every day that Congress fails to act, 122 Dreamers lose their DACA status and become deportable. A vote on a continuing resolution without the Dream Act, is a vote to deport Dreamers.
TELL Senator Feinstein TO CONTINUE TO BE BRAVE: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and THANK Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
2. Another fox in the henhouse. Ask our Senators to stop this.
The U.S. Census Bureau is the agency that determines the allocation of representatives and how political districts are drawn. So the Deputy Director this bureau should NOT be a guy named Thomas Brunell, who wrote a un-American, anti-democratic book called “Redistricting and Representation: Why Competitive Elections are Bad for America”. Duh! There was enough stink to keep him from becoming head of the bureau, but now the GOP is trying to stick him in a position that doesn’t require Senate confirmation. (We’ll talk about the proposed Census questions tomorrow.)
Continue reading “3 fast actions for Thursday and more!”