Action – Take a break from national turmoil this Sunday (9/30) and help people in our own backyard.
Register voters, help make new citizens, renew DACA forms, and write postcards to inform voters that they may need to re-register to vote in the next election.
Indivisible Ventura, along with local immigration lawyers, El Concilio, and members of Indivisible Conejo, Indivisible Ojai Valley, CLUE, SEIU and others, are putting on our first “Last-Sunday-of-the-Month” Citizenship Fair/DACA signup/Voter Registration/Postcard event at Oxnard College Community Marketplace from 8:00 am – 3:00 pm.
The dry view: Volunteers who are kind, infinitely patient and detail-oriented are needed to help fill out pages of government formwork. Speaking another language is a bonus, but not required.
What’s really happening: You sit across from another human being and help change their life.
- Citizenship: You can help make “permanent residents“ into citizens. With your assistance, they will eventually stand in front of a judge, like many of our forebears, and pledge to love and defend this country. Already, three people from previous SEIU fairs can now proudly call themselves “Americans”.
- DACA Renewal: You can help some of the most accomplished and driven young people you’ll ever meet remain, for another two-year term, in the only country they’ve ever known.
- Voter Registration: You can help register people to take part in the most under-used privilege we have as citizens…voting.
- Postcard Writing: We’ll be writing postcards when no applicants are available to assist. These postcards are going to citizens in Georgia who may not be aware that they have been dropped from the voting rolls. We are helping a nation-wide campaign to get them re-registered in time to exercise their right to vote in the 2018 election. So far, these efforts have allowed over 2000 people to rejoin the voting rolls.
How to help:
- Come join us if you can. There will be a quick class for new volunteers on filling out the forms between 8:30-9:30 from our lead lawyer volunteer. We will stop taking in new applications around 2:00 pm, as it takes at least an hour to fill them out.
- Post our flyers where people can see them, like restaurants, laundromats, libraries, etc.
- Tell people you know who have “green cards” that this is a chance to get their paperwork done for free. Permanent residency minimums are 5 years generally and 3 years for those married to US citizens. They do NOT to be residents of Ventura County to get help.
- Tell older people with ancient green cards to come too. They can take the verbal test in their native language if they’re:
- minimum 50 years old, with a 20-year-old card
- minimum 55 years old, with a 15 -year-old card
- minimum 65 years old, with a 20-year-old card – also get the simplified test.
- Donations are greatly appreciated! Although all human services are donated, paper, printer ink and office supplies are used in copious quantities at these events and the costs add up. Donate can be made online here.
This event is sort-of under tents. Dress accordingly (hats, sunscreen) and bring water.
This is a non-partisan, non-political event. We reserve the right to refuse anyone’s volunteer services.
By choosing to attend this event, you are committing to participate nonviolently and in accordance with the law, to work to de-escalate confrontations with others, and to obey the orders of authorized event marshals and of law enforcement. You also acknowledge that you are solely responsible for any injury or damage to your person or property resulting from or occurring during this event and that you release all event sponsors and organizers (and their officers, directors, employees, and agents) from any liability for that injury or damage.
Flyers/handouts for distribution and sharing.
English-version flyer Natz:DACA form with tabs – Eng..
Spanish-version flyer Natz:DACA form with tabs – SPA
English-version quarter-sheet handouts here: CITIZENSHIP FAIR:DACA SIGN
Spanish-version quarter-sheet handouts here : CITIZENSHIP FAIR:DACA SIGN – Spanish