We’re cancelling our newsletter call on Net Neutrality.
All our legislators are on the job. Please thank them instead.
Both our Senators, Dianne Feinstein and Kamala Harris are part of the 40 senators that signed Senator Markey’s Congressional Review Act resolution of disapproval to overturn FCC vote to end net neutrality. 30 members were required to send it to the floor for a vote. Thank them here. Feinstein email, Kamala Harris email.
Both our representatives, Salud Carbajal and Julia Brownley, have released statements that they will support legislative action to enforce net neutrality. Thank them here. Carbajal email, Brownley email.
Today is “Protect Mueller National Call-In Day”!
Let’s all take part and call our MoCs to ask them to do their part to protect him. #ProtectMueller and #TrumpRussia
You can watch it below and/or read about all the acts here…, but while we were distracted with Trump’s supposed “War on Christmas”, an actual war on our environment was happening.
Continue reading “Thursday 1/11 – The FCC, Mueller and the Earth…”
Today, January 10th – 2 events!
Come out today and eat Pizza! This fundraiser for Justice for All, from 11:00 am to 10 pm tonight, will help support the upcoming rally and March on January 20th. Print out the flyer to show the waiter or show them it on your phone.
Do you want to volunteer to help at the Ventura County Rising march and rally? Come to this evening’s meeting.
January 15th – Monday – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
Come and pay our respects to the memory of this amazing man, the movement he helped start and those who are still is fighting for the equality he described so eloquently. Your presence is important. This fight involves us all.
Continue reading “We’ve got your social calendar right here…”
Anytime we can take a breath in our resistance battles, it’s because a good judge stopped our current administration from doing something illegal, immoral, needlessly cruel or any combo of the above.
Tomorrow, Thursday, the Judiciary Committee will be discussing these hand-picked horrors who desperately want to continue Trump’s agenda, with a lifetime seat at our expense. We give you all the information you need to make one call.
- Thomas Alvin Farr – We need to oppose a federal judge appointee with a history of condoning race-based voter suppression. His career is closely associated with attacks on the rights of vulnerable citizens. For the last three decades, Farr, who represented the campaign of the ultraconservative Senator Jesse Helms at a time when the campaign was accused of taking part in conduct designed to intimidate black voters, has committed himself to two main missions: disenfranchising voters of color and attacking workers’ rights. Now up for nomination again a second time for 2018, two times too many.
- David Stras nomination for US Court of Appeals for the eighth Circuit. – Another far right candidate who has ruled against government transparency, ruled to limit the rights of children with disabilities, and women, and sided with Minnesota’s Republican legislature in its effort to put on the ballot a measure to make it more difficult for minorities and the elderly to vote, in language that was “phrased to actively deceive and mislead.” https://www.afj.org/our-work/nominees/david-stras
- Stuart Kyle Duncan – He has fought contraception coverage for women, a woman’s right to choose and LGBTQ equality. He has fought to make it more difficult for people of color to vote, opposes criminal justice reform and doesn’t respect legal precedent.
- Liles Burke – Keeping a picture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis in his office communicates hostility to communities of color and raises questions about Burke’s commitment to civil rights and his ability to be an impartial jurist for all who come before him. Burke has ruled that rap lyrics written by the defendant could be used against him for a crime occurring years later and that the word “child” in Alabama’s child endangerment statute applies to the unborn, opening the door to the prosecution of pregnant women. He allowed removal of so many black and female jurors, the case involved was appealed.
- Matthew Kacsmaryk – Where to start…He has attacked Roe v. Wade, is anti-LGBTQ and has opposed regulations under the Affordable Care Act that forbid healthcare providers from discriminating against people based on gender identity, “sex stereotyping,” and “termination of pregnancy”, hates gay marriage, supported Kim Davis and likes “conversion therapy”.
Website URL fix from yesterday…
Some were having difficulties opening the website for the Drilling programs PR site – Here’s the link for the actual document: “Developing a New National OCS Program 2019-2024“. Here’s a more reliable link for the rest of the website.
Note: The only meeting in California is scheduled for Sacramento on February 8th, from 3-7 pm PST.
Oh, yeah, one four-hour meeting should take care of it, FOR ALL OF CALIFORNIA!
Jim Hines of the Sierra Club got a verbal promise from the Secretary of Interior Zinke and submitted a matching official request that that two full days of public hearings would be held in Ventura and Santa Barbara so that people in the affected area can attend and comment on the 5-year plan.
In the meantime, local meeting or no, please comment here. The deadline for comments is Mar 9 2018, at 11:59 PM ET.
(photo from https://twitter.com/Stl_Manifest, historic losers in our immigration wars. Check out the brief history of how people became citizens at the bottom of this column.)
1. Pass a Clean Dream Act – Save Them, Save Ourselves.
“Many of the young people covered by DACA are young professionals, working as teachers, doctors, nurses, and lawyers, who contribute greatly to the American economy”. Both right and left-leaning research groups indicate that ending DACA, and deporting the workers who will no longer enjoy legal status, could reduce the size of the U.S. economy by anywhere from $280 billion to $430 billion over the next decade.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask Senator [___] to insist on a clean Dream Act as a condition for funding the federal government.
TELL Senator Feinstein TO CONTINUE TO BE BRAVE: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and THANK Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
2. A profound moral failure, carried on the backs of kids.
Continue reading “Tuesday 1/9 – We remain really bad at immigration.”