Action #1 – Call your senators to support them or chide them on the nomination of Brett Kavanaugh.
Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court would do exactly what the Trump administration hopes he would do. Based on his record, he would wreak havoc on the environment to aid the administration’s largest donors, extractive industries like oil, gas, logging and mining, as well big agriculture. He will do it with “decisions” based on the strange, extreme, and absurd arguments that have puzzled and enraged his colleagues during his time on the federal bench. Now that the effects of global climate change are destroying parts of our country on a continual basis, we cannot afford another enabler of the polluters that foul our environment and destroy our health.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Senator [___] to [keep on resisting/fight against] Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation to the Supreme Court because he has been proven to be ally of those who would weaken our protections for our environment.
Contact your Senator:
Senator Feinstein: email DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Contacts: https://hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Action #2 – Write another comment on the Clear Air Act rules page.
Click here for details.
Continue reading “Wed. 9/12: We don’t need another anti-environmental corporate-fanboy on the Supreme Court.”
Action #1 – Don’t give Kavanaugh a free pass on immigration issues.
Everyone is focused on how he’ll overbalance the court into making extremist and unpopular decisions on Roe vs Wade, the Affordable Care Act, executive power, voting rights, and affirmative action, while protecting Trump from legal jeopardy. However, there are a number of immigration cases that are working their way up through lower courts that will come before SCOTUS too and he has already proven his hostility towards them.
So, guess how Kavanaugh will vote on cases regarding these issues…
- DACA: Two different federal judges, two conflicting outcomes. This will be going to the Supreme Court. (C-span)(vox)
- Sanctuary: The rights of states and cities versus federal agencies in immigration enforcement. (thehill)
- Incarcerating children: The government’s right to separate groups as they please, including children, overruling the Flores agreement.(nytimes)
- Bond hearings: The ability to detain immigrants without bond. (wapo)
- Incarceration without limit: The government’s right to keep immigrants locked up in a detention facility indefinitely if the government is unable to deport them to their native country. The 2001 Zadvydas v. Davis decision that stopped this was a 5-4 decision.
- Removing citizenship: The government’s right to remove citizenship from those who live next to the border, effectively creating stateless refugees (slate)
- Right to education: Undocumented children’s right to attend public school regardless of immigration status ( Plyler v. Doe 1982) (LAtimes)
- Birthright citizenship: (US v. Wong Kim Ark 1898) This is currently under attack, by Trump and others, and a future Supreme Court could hold that the 14th amendment does not confer automatic citizenship on the children of parents in the US without legal authorization. (wapo)
- “Public Charge” restrictions: The government’s right to prevent immigrants from achieving citizenship or permanent residency if they legally accessed safety net programs in the past.
Continue reading “Fri – 8/31: 3 immigration actions – Kavanaugh, local DACA clinic, help for Paris, TX.”