Action #1 – Don’t give Kavanaugh a free pass on immigration issues.
Everyone is focused on how he’ll overbalance the court into making extremist and unpopular decisions on Roe vs Wade, the Affordable Care Act, executive power, voting rights, and affirmative action, while protecting Trump from legal jeopardy. However, there are a number of immigration cases that are working their way up through lower courts that will come before SCOTUS too and he has already proven his hostility towards them.
So, guess how Kavanaugh will vote on cases regarding these issues…
- DACA: Two different federal judges, two conflicting outcomes. This will be going to the Supreme Court. (C-span)(vox)
- Sanctuary: The rights of states and cities versus federal agencies in immigration enforcement. (thehill)
- Incarcerating children: The government’s right to separate groups as they please, including children, overruling the Flores agreement.(nytimes)
- Bond hearings: The ability to detain immigrants without bond. (wapo)
- Incarceration without limit: The government’s right to keep immigrants locked up in a detention facility indefinitely if the government is unable to deport them to their native country. The 2001 Zadvydas v. Davis decision that stopped this was a 5-4 decision.
- Removing citizenship: The government’s right to remove citizenship from those who live next to the border, effectively creating stateless refugees (slate)
- Right to education: Undocumented children’s right to attend public school regardless of immigration status ( Plyler v. Doe 1982) (LAtimes)
- Birthright citizenship: (US v. Wong Kim Ark 1898) This is currently under attack, by Trump and others, and a future Supreme Court could hold that the 14th amendment does not confer automatic citizenship on the children of parents in the US without legal authorization. (wapo)
- “Public Charge” restrictions: The government’s right to prevent immigrants from achieving citizenship or permanent residency if they legally accessed safety net programs in the past.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Senator [___] to get Kavanaugh on record as to his views on DACA, sancuary cities/states, family/child incarceration, rights to bond hearings, undocumented access to public services such as education, and birthright citizenship.
Contact your Senator:
Senator Feinstein: email DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Contacts: https://hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Action #2 – Help DACA recipients get their paperwork renewed!
The next DACA clinic is September 10th. We need two forms of assistance.
(If anyone is still not convinced at how important good judges are, note that DACA is still alive due to a federal court determination.) The next few weeks will determine whether immigrants protected under the program will remain safe for a few more years, or whether they’ll start becoming vulnerable to deportation in the near future. Let’s get as many signed up as possible!
- Print out and post these flyers (pdf format: DACA SIGN 9.10 english, DACA SIGN 9.10 spanish or jpg format below ) anywhere there are public bulletin boards, such as schools, libraries, stores, restaurants, laundromats, etc. Post on your social media and encourage people to share. Any DACA recipient who can get to this clinic is welcome to attend.
- Volunteer to help fill out the forms. The paperwork has recently changed, so even if you’ve done this before, please come at 5:00 pm for a quick training session. You do not need to speak Spanish.
Action #3 – #HelpNeeded for Paris, TX workers
There was a huge ICE raid on Tuesday in Paris, TX, 100 miles north of Dallas on Tuesday. 160 people were detained. Texas Organizing Project and Workers Defense Project are now on the scene and are working alongside a coalition of folks from Dallas, NILC, Cosecha, and others!
How to help:
- Share this link to fundraise for the bond and basic needs of the affected families: https://www.gofundme.com/families-of-the-north-texas-raid
- Got some time? Organizers and volunteers on the ground, if anyone is available to come please fill out the form on this link.
- More options for helping immigrants here.