Call out your senators to do their job. Our Constitution requires them to hold an impeachment trial.
(Header quote here.) What the GOP wants: In the live-action Constitution class which is now our country, Republicans, just off their last performance of subverting that document and two centuries of precedent to overturn our election, are backing an argument by former Judge Michael Luttig against holding a Senate hearing of Trump’s impeachment charges. His opinion, as restated by Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.): “The Senate lacks constitutional authority to conduct impeachment proceedings against a former president. The Founders designed the impeachment process as a way to remove officeholders from public office—not an inquest against private citizens.”
Update: Rand Paul just forced a vote on the constitutionality of an impeachment trial.
What the experts say: Steven Calabresi, the co-founder of the GOP’s beloved right-wing Federalist Society and 170 others across the legal spectrum confirmed that not only can Trump be tried by the Senate, but it is, in fact, their constitutional duty, not a choice, to try any official impeached by the House, whether in office or not. The letter was also signed by Brian Kalt, a law professor at Michigan State University, who is the “leading scholar on the specific question of whether former officials can be impeached.”
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code]. I want to make sure Sen. [___] knows that 170 Constitutional experts such as Steven Calabresi, co-founder of the Federalist Society, have determined that the Senate has a constitutional duty to try Trump for inciting insurrection. And though they can no longer remove him from his seat, we want [him/her] to strongly support his conviction and the constitutional remedy of disqualifying him from future federal office.
Continue reading “The GOP is gaslighting us again. Try, convict, and disqualify Trump.”
Action #1: Call out your senators. What are they waiting for?
Your calls for impeachment worked, and reports suggest we’re close to having the votes to convict in the Senate. But we need to keep pressuring Senate Republicans to act immediately — Leader Schumer has already agreed to do this and on January 12th, the New York Times reported that Mitch McConnell agreed that Trump committed impeachable offenses. Hell is freezing over and pigs are flying. The people have important work to do, and the Senate needs to open up for business now! (Contact info. at bottom of post.)
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to tell Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell to use their emergency powers to immediately reconvene the Senate for Trump’s second impeachment trial, and that I expect Senator [___] to vote to convict and then disqualify Donald Trump from ever holding federal office in the future.
More script if you want it: Please be sure that Trump’s failure to act – gleefully watching insurrection on live tv while refusing calls for help, is included in your charges. (Slate)(WaPo)
If you are emailing: Add in the ACLU’s charges. You can also use their comment link and sign their petition as well:
- Repeatedly made knowingly false statements about voter fraud and improprieties designed to undermine the legitimacy of the election results, including in a series of frivolous lawsuits, without evidence to support the claims
- Pressured election officials in several states, including Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia, to interfere with the results of the election, including a January 2 taped phone call
- Sought to disenfranchise people of color by targeting many of these efforts at counties and jurisdictions with predominantly Black or Brown populations
- Directed Vice President Pence to block Congress’s certification of the Electoral College results, where the Vice President had neither the authority nor the grounds to do so
- Urged an unruly mob to riot at the United States Capitol on January 6, in an effort to prevent the certification of the Electoral College results and to intimidate members of Congress from carrying out their constitutional duties
Action #2: GOP – You want unity? Where’s that personal responsibility you’re always talking about?!
Continue reading “Fri. 1/15: Senators – Convict Trump NOW!”