It’s not just the president…
Action #1: Expel GOP legislator objectors for putting one man over democracy.
After the riot, 4 of the 12 senators apparently chickened out.
(From Indivisible CA-33) “Indivisible CA-33 chapter (drawing members from Ted Lieu’s and Karen Bass’s congressional districts here in LA) is proud to be part of today’s full-page NY Times ad calling for the removal of Trump and the expulsion of 8 Senators and 139 Representatives who tried to nullify our election and over turn the will of the people. Many of them have helped Trump in spreading the lies and inciting the mob that tried to take over the same building that Al Qaeda tried and failed to destroy on 9/11. That these traitors to our Constitution and democratic process cast their votes *after* the violent attack on the Capitol by right-wing terrorists makes it clear that they remain a danger to our Republic for every minute they hold any power.” #ImpeachAndExpel
Action #1: Make a call. It’s an effective action that takes one minute.
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want *[Rep./Sen. [___] to impeach Trump/ to thank Rep./Sen. [___] for pushing for Trump’s impeachment] & to expel the 8 senators and 139 representatives who broke their oath to defend the Constitution and who voted against certification, helping to amplify Trump’s campaign of lies to overturn a presidential election. In addition, if any are found to have provided aid to insurrectionists, such as providing information, or reconnaissance tours, they must resign and be arrested.
(Contact information for legislators – phone and email addresses, are at the bottom.)
*Feinstein has committed to an impeachment action and Brownley and Carbajal are cosponsors of “H.Res.24 – Impeaching Donald John Trump, President of the United States, for high crimes and misdemeanors.” Cannot find Harris. Thank Feinstein and Brownley when you call them for standing up.
Action #2: Send a text
Text EXPEL to 30403 to tell your member of Congress what needs to happen! There will be a one sentence script for your message: *[Impeach Trump/ Thank you for your support in impeaching Trump] & please expel members who voted against certification.
Deeper Dive: Let’s play “But, what about…?”
Yes. Democrats have objected to electoral votes in the past.
However, those legislators used the formal counting of electoral votes as an opportunity to object to election conditions, not to the outcome of an election itself. Quick review…
- 2000 election: Bush versus Gore was decided by one state, Florida, whose electorial votes put Bush ahead by a slim 271 to 266. The winner was not decided by not by a full recount of the votes, as that cut short by the GOP operatives in the “Brooks Brothers Riot.” Instead, a supreme court split along partisan lines made the final decision. Rep. Alcee Hastings of Florida objected to counting his state’s electoral votes because of “overwhelming evidence of official misconduct, deliberate fraud, and an attempt to suppress voter turnout.” Representative Sheila Jackson Lee of Texas referred to the “millions of Americans who have been disenfranchised by Florida’s inaccurate vote count.” Representative Maxine Waters of California characterized Florida’s electoral votes as “fraudulent.” They were right but these were merely observations of fact, as Vice President Gore had already conceded the election.
- 2004 election: Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) discusses here how in 2005, she and Rep. Stephanie Tubbs Jones (D-OH) used their objection to highlight the lack of a verifiable paper record in connection with electronic voting systems and insanely long lines at the polls, but “underscored their votes were not an attempt to challenge the results.” These were merely observations of fact, as John Kerry had already conceded the election.
- 2016 election: Representative Jim McGovern of Massachusetts cited “the confirmed and illegal activities engaged by the government of Russia.” Ms. Lee of California argued that Michigan’s electoral votes should be thrown out because “people are horrified by the overwhelming evidence of Russian interference in our elections.” She also cited “the malfunction of 87 voting machines.” These were merely observations of fact, as Hillary Clinton had already conceded the election. Their solution was to draft bills to correct these issues, not overthrow the government. Neither bill was heard in the McConnell-controlled senate.
- HR 1 – “To expand Americans’ access to the ballot box, reduce the influence of big money in politics, strengthen ethics rules for public servants, and implement other anti-corruption measures for the purpose of fortifying our democracy, and for other purposes.“
- HR 4 – “Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2019“
- 2020 election: Every issue Democrats brought up after earlier elections had turned out to be true. Despite no fraud being proved from 60 court cases and the opinions of 90 federal and state judges, Trump and his coterie of lickspittles refused to concede. Instead, he stood outside the White House and used his bully pulpit to urge his supporters to physically menace the inhabitants of the Capitol and to send a pointed message to his vice president and GOP legislators.
GOP Sen. Josh Hawley has implied that had both houses been dominated by his party, they would have actually overturned the electoral vote and handing Trump another term, based on nothing more than allegations of fraud, even after 60 court cases and the opinions to the contrary of 90 federal and state judges. It is Hawley’s willingness to destroy democracy itself for nothing but political gain, that makes him eminently unfit to continue as a senator, along with his similarly amoral compatriots.
Action #2: Disbar the lawyer/legislators who helped set our country on fire!
Help us get all the lawyer/legislators who broke their own ethical rules along with their sworn oaths to protect the Constitution disbarred. This would include Sens. Ted Cruz and Josh Hawley and Rep. Moe Brooks. We have the entire list of these legislators, and “copy/paste” model letters for the American Bar Association and state licensing boards here.
Action #3: Support the COUP Act – Congressional Oversight of Unjust Policing Act
This is just the beginning of rooting out the toxic white supremacy that flourished under Trump amongst our nation’s law enforcement. We got a glimpse of this when Joe Biden requested a new Secret Service protection team amid concerns that some agents were politically allied with Donald Trump. Now we’ve seen images of Capitol police, a force that maintains strict and intrusive security protocols, welcoming the forces of anti-democracy with open arms.
Rep. Jamaal Bowman has just introducied the Congressional Oversight of Unjust Policing Act (COUP). This bill will create a 9/11 style “national commission to investigate the terrorist attack on the Capitol on Jan. 6“, while also addressing what Bowman called “the systemic failures in the United States Capitol security apparatus.” The COUP Act would also investigate an possible ties between white supremacists and Capitol Police.
Biased policing is a security threat because it leads us to mark innocent people as threats and terrorists as innocent. This is what happened at the Capitol on Wednesday, and it resulted in a police-aided coup.
Simply firing the heads of the Capitol police won’t be enough. We need a detailed investigation and course of action to redeem trust and restore security, and a commission to investigate the attack and ties between white supremacists and Capitol Police.
- #1: Add your name to his petition here.
- #2: Miminal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep./Sen. [___] to support and Rep. Jamaal Bowman’s Congressional Oversight of Unjust Policing Act (COUP).
Rep. Julia Brownley: email, (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email.(CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email,DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com