Action #1: Call out your senators. What are they waiting for?
Your calls for impeachment worked, and reports suggest we’re close to having the votes to convict in the Senate. But we need to keep pressuring Senate Republicans to act immediately — Leader Schumer has already agreed to do this and on January 12th, the New York Times reported that Mitch McConnell agreed that Trump committed impeachable offenses. Hell is freezing over and pigs are flying. The people have important work to do, and the Senate needs to open up for business now! (Contact info. at bottom of post.)
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to tell Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell to use their emergency powers to immediately reconvene the Senate for Trump’s second impeachment trial, and that I expect Senator [___] to vote to convict and then disqualify Donald Trump from ever holding federal office in the future.
- Repeatedly made knowingly false statements about voter fraud and improprieties designed to undermine the legitimacy of the election results, including in a series of frivolous lawsuits, without evidence to support the claims
- Pressured election officials in several states, including Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia, to interfere with the results of the election, including a January 2 taped phone call
- Sought to disenfranchise people of color by targeting many of these efforts at counties and jurisdictions with predominantly Black or Brown populations
- Directed Vice President Pence to block Congress’s certification of the Electoral College results, where the Vice President had neither the authority nor the grounds to do so
- Urged an unruly mob to riot at the United States Capitol on January 6, in an effort to prevent the certification of the Electoral College results and to intimidate members of Congress from carrying out their constitutional duties