Action #1: Call out your senators. What are they waiting for?
Your calls for impeachment worked, and reports suggest we’re close to having the votes to convict in the Senate. But we need to keep pressuring Senate Republicans to act immediately — Leader Schumer has already agreed to do this and on January 12th, the New York Times reported that Mitch McConnell agreed that Trump committed impeachable offenses. Hell is freezing over and pigs are flying. The people have important work to do, and the Senate needs to open up for business now! (Contact info. at bottom of post.)
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to tell Chuck Schumer and Mitch McConnell to use their emergency powers to immediately reconvene the Senate for Trump’s second impeachment trial, and that I expect Senator [___] to vote to convict and then disqualify Donald Trump from ever holding federal office in the future.
- Repeatedly made knowingly false statements about voter fraud and improprieties designed to undermine the legitimacy of the election results, including in a series of frivolous lawsuits, without evidence to support the claims
- Pressured election officials in several states, including Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Georgia, to interfere with the results of the election, including a January 2 taped phone call
- Sought to disenfranchise people of color by targeting many of these efforts at counties and jurisdictions with predominantly Black or Brown populations
- Directed Vice President Pence to block Congress’s certification of the Electoral College results, where the Vice President had neither the authority nor the grounds to do so
- Urged an unruly mob to riot at the United States Capitol on January 6, in an effort to prevent the certification of the Electoral College results and to intimidate members of Congress from carrying out their constitutional duties
Action #2: GOP – You want unity? Where’s that personal responsibility you’re always talking about?!
Do you live in a GOP state or county? You have relatives or friends who do? Ask them to send on this message to their GOP legislator(s).
Minimal script: I’m calling/emailing from [zip code] and I hold Rep./Sen. [___] responsible for [his/her] part in the insurrection of Jan 6. I don’t care if [he/she] parroted Trump’s lies about this election to save [his/her] seat, or to save [his/her] skin. Instead of demanding appeasement from Democrats. I want [him/her] to take responsibility for the wrongs that [he/she] has done to. I ask that [he/she] take the following reparative actions.
- Admit that Joe Biden lawfully and fairly win the 2020 election. Tell the truth.
- Admit that our election’s integrity was confirmed by 59 court cases, almost 90 federal judges , the Elections Infrastructure Government Coordinating Council and the Election Infrastructure Sector Coordinating Executive Committees. Give people back their sense of security and trust.
- Admit that Trump’s lies about election rigging, and your amplification of them, helped divide our nation.
- Admit that Trump’s actions before Jan. 6th, his incitement of the march on the Capitol and his failure to act when the chaos became known, are all legitimate actions for impeachment, even for a president at the end of his term.
- Admit that your objections to the electoral college votes were divisive political theater.
- Admit that your objections, if they had been sustained, would have disproportionately disenfranchised and harmed Black communities. (Here’s sort of an apology from Sen. James Lankford to Black Tulsans for “casting doubt on the validity of votes coming out of predominantly Black communities like Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Detroit.”
- Admit that you robbed Americans of a legitimate moment of pride. Our country pulled off the immense undertaking of our national election in the midst of the worst pandemic in our lifetime. Worse yet, instead of thanking your state’s election workers who put in long hours to assure that ballot counts were accurate, your lies inspired threats against them and their families.
- Apologize like a grownup for your role in this. All of this. Ask for forgiveness. We are a forgiving people.
There is no healing without truth. And there is no truth without courage. Rep./Sen. [___], I am waiting.
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Padilla :
LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Do you have more time?
- 3 QUICK ACTIONS: AMERICAN RELIEF PLAN, DE-FANG DEJOY, PUBLIC CHARGE Here.
- SENATORS – THE GOP IS GASLIGHTING US. CONVICT TRUMP NOW! Here.
- GET READY TO FLUSH THE FILIBUSTER – Here.
- IN THE BEGINNING, THERE WAS H.R. 1 – Here.