First action every day this week: Call your senators and have red-state friends call theirs to convict and disqualify Trump. Scripts here.
Action #1: Washington D.C. is a living, breathing, racial and civil rights injustice and we need to fix it!
If you’re unfamiliar with the hundreds of years that DC residents have been denied statehood, along with the rights we take for granted, like representation along with taxation, the ability to make laws without federal interference, and being able to call up the National Guard when they need it, here’s our post with lots of information and great videos. (Also 51 for 51 and DCstatehoodcoalition.org ) Both the House and Senate have reintroduced bills to fix this, H.R.51 & S.51– “Washington, D.C. Admission Act. Another important bill – H.R.1 – “For the People Act, declares, amongst many important voting reforms, “…that DC residents deserve full Congressional voting rights and self-government, which only statehood can provide.” (full text) (endorsements). We need to get all Democratic representatives and senators onboard both bills as cosponsors quickly as possible!
A member is printing up several thousand postcards!!! JOIN IN!
Preprinted [just fill in the name & sign] postcards
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with “51 POSTCARDS” in the subject line for postcards to be sent to you along with an legislator address list. We need your mailing address and whether you want just the DEM package (10 senators, 27 representatives, 3 “thank you” cards), the GOP package (50 cards, of course) or both. We are asking participants to provide their own postage.
“I want to make my own”
- You are welcome to copy/paste the graphics below and create your own postcards!
- To Democrats: Here’s the table of Democrat House and Senate members that have NOT signed on to one or both bills yet and to whom you should direct polite postcards asking them to do so. (Nancy, we know you’ve been busy…)
- For Republicans: Wouldn’t it be amazing if they actually believed some of the 1776 principles that Trump’s cosplayers were yelling about at the insurrection, and did something to alleviate taxation without representation for over 700k American citizens? LIKE MAKE THEM A STATE!? It doesn’t hurt to ask!
- There are exactly ZERO Republican House members or senators on the list of current cosponsors. Just send postcards to all GOP senators.
- Mailing Addresses:
Proposed postcard front. Logo from https://statehood.dc.gov
Postcard script suggestion for Democratic representatives who HAVE NOT COSPONSORED one or both of the bills H.R. 51 and H.R. 1.
Postcard script suggestion for Democratic senators who HAVE NOT COSPONSORED S.51 and S.1
If your representative and/or senator(s) have already cosponsored these bills, thank them and ask them to do more.
Postcard script suggestion for GOP senators who have not cosponsored S.51, which is currently ALL OF THEM.
Action #2: “What’s Next” postcard campaign – “Restore Asylum – Humanity at the border.” Join in!!!
What’s Next is a great Facebook group that’s been putting together postcard campaigns for immigration and human rights issues.
Here’s their latest, for mailing Februaru 16-19.
Restore Asylum – Humanity at the Border
“Migration is an expression of the human aspiration for dignity, safety and a better future. It is part of the social fabric, part of our very make-up as a human family.” — Ban Ki-moon
Postcard #5 addresses the influx at our Southern Border and humane options for welcoming migrating people from Mexico, Central America and beyond.
With a new administration, there is the promise of ending many of the inhumane and racist policies enacted by the Trump Administration. Our talking points inform and remind the Biden administration to address the root causes that force people to flee for their lives, call for policies that make the immigration process more navigable, and quickly make the declarations of the Executive Orders that have been signed a reality. Those who present themselves at our borders should be treated with dignity and humanity. Seeking asylum is a human right.
Thank you for your time and commitment to sending these postcards to the people who can make this happen.
This campaign is being sent to President Biden, Vice President Harris, Alejandro Mayorkas (Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security) and Xavier Becerra (Secretary of Health and Human Services).
To make this a successful campaign, please follow these instructions for writing and mailing your cards:
- Download Postcard #5 (photo collage of four images at the border). You can find the card under files in this FB group or here: https://tinyurl.com/y3hkox3y or you can get postcards sent to you here.
- Print your postcards: Four postcards per sheet, double sided (needs to include the photo credit on the back) on card stock. You can purchase card stock and cut apart or Avery has postcard stock available that is perforated for separation (any of their products that are 4 1/4″ x 5 1/2″, 4 per sheet). If you do not have capability to print double sided, you can print single side.
- Write your postcards on the theme: Restore Asylum. Talking points are suggested. Create your own way to hit one or more of these points.
- Talking points for Postcard 5 – Restore Asylum:
- President Biden ended MPP for new arrivals. He must FULLY END MPP for those who have been stuck waiting in make-shift camps in Mexico.
- Asylum cases that were denied during MPP should be reconsidered.
- Urgent action is still needed to transit vulnerable migrants to safety in the U.S. (Human Rights First).
- More judges, counselors and translators are needed to accelerate the immigration process.
- End Title 42, the CDC order that requires immediate expulsion for new migrants.
- Address root causes that create need for forced migration
- Humane treatment at the border – no more CBP hieleras (iceboxes) or perreras (dog pounds)
- Restructure – Retrain immigration departments with strict oversight.
- End family detention and family separation.
- Allow immigrants to have immediate access to work visas.
- Coordinate with and provide funding for NGO’s that provide shelter and assistance to migrants after they cross.
- Addresses to mail cards:
- The President, The White House, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, D.C. 20500
- Vice President Harris, The White House, Office of the Vice President, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington, DC 20500
- The Honorable Alejandro Mayorkas, Secretary of Homeland Security, 2707 Martin Luther King, Jr., SE Washington, DC 20528
- The Honorable Xavier Becerra, Secretary of Health and Human Services,200 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 202016.
- Apply a 35 cent postcard stamp to each card7. Drop your cards in the mail between February 16-19.