Quote from Census area manager in charge of local census offices.
Action #1: Ask your senators to extend the Census count!
The Census Bureau requested an extension of time to complete the count because of difficulties posed by the pandemic. In response, the Trump administration announced that they would prematurely end it instead, deliberately causing an undercount the population, in violation of the Constitution.
This action, along with the Trump’s corrupt campaign to gather citizenship status from other federal sources for use in creating “voter-eligible” redistricting, in defiance of the Supreme Court’s ruling against a citizenship question on the census itself, will also help the GOP in their voter suppression efforts.
- The early termination of the 2020 Census will result in an undercount of persons living in crowded urban centers—thereby decreasing Democratic representation in Congress for the next decade.
- The undercount will also affect the allocation of federal resources.”
The House of Representatives has already approved an extension of the 2020 Census operations as part of its most recent COVID relief package.
Minimal script to senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Senator [___] to pass S.4088 – “Fair and Accurate Census Act,” or to add similar language to their next COVID relief package, including the funding necessary to make this work.
Extra if you want it: Not only is this unconstitutional, this is corrupt as all hell.
Senator-check here. (Senator Harris wrote the bill and Feinstein is a cosponsor. Thank them both. Look for senators of your friends and families, and if they’re not on this list, have them call their offices. Repeatedly.)
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?:https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Action #2: After you call, do a little writing!
- Write a letter: After your call, use this template to write a letter.
- Sign a petition here.
Action #3: FIGHT FOR YOUR COMMUNITY! Get your census done now!
Not sure if you should be counted? Worried that it might not be safe for you or your family? Go here for more information in English and Spanish and read and interact with countthenation.org‘s awesome Census Pirate Comic, also in BOTH English and Spanish!
If you did not receive or have misplaced your Census invitation letter, or your dog ate it, you can view a PDF copy here: https://www.census.gov/newsroom/press-kits/2020/2020-census-mailings.html.
a) Answer the Census online here: my2020census.gov OR
b) Answer the census by phone here: 1-844-330-2020 OR
c) fill out the paper form you received and mail it back in. Find a sample copy here.
Be a guide: Once you figure it out, contact all your friends and make sure they’ve done it too. It’s available in lots of languages as well.
Shortening the Census is just one of the shady moves the GOP is doing to hold on to power:
We’re all familiar with “normal” GOP voter suppression: (ACLU) Reinstatement of voter ID laws, registration restrictions, voter purges, closing polling places in minority neighborhoods, felony disenfranchisement, gerrymandering. The GOP needs these strong-arm tactics as they’ve lost the popular vote in six of the last seven presidential elections. They control the Senate despite having received over 25 million fewer votes than their Democratic opponents over the last three elections (one full election cycle for the Senate). The Republicans are already effectively a minority governing party, kept in office by institutions such as the electoral college and the Senate, which overweight rural votes.
However, with the pandemic, there are new ways to suppress the vote.
- Attack mail-in voting: “MAIL-IN VOTING WILL LEAD TO MASSIVE FRAUD AND ABUSE. IT WILL ALSO LEAD TO THE END OF OUR GREAT REPUBLICAN PARTY. WE CAN NEVER LET THIS TRAGEDY BEFALL OUR NATION.” – Trump is spending +$20 million on mail-in voting-related lawsuits, a type of voting he and his entire family will indulge in themselves, as it’s all OK in Florida.
- ALSO Sabotaging the US Postal Service: Letter carriers and voting rights advocates are warning that sabotage of the U.S. Postal Service by the Trump administration and new Postmaster General Louis DeJoy and major Republican donor, could imperil the agency’s ability to deliver mail-in ballots on time, potentially impacting the results of the November elections.
- It’s harder to vote if you’re homeless: The GOP pretends that the HEROES/HEALS conflict is a principled stand about the amount of uninsurance payments or Mitch’s liability scam. But the longer they fight against the Democrat’s bill, the more people become homeless, or close to it. This demographic is less likely to vote and 25 million or more may join it before the election.