Today, we’re featuring FOUR great events to put on your calendar, including our pizza/postcard party happening today! Ventura’s resistance movement is strong and varied. Check out the entire list and keep track here. Send additions for the list to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Today: Postcards to disenfrachised voters in Galveston County, TX!
- Jan. 18th: 4th Annual March and Rally.
- Jan 20th: Ventura County’s 24th Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and “Freedom March”.
- Jan 21st: Oxnard’s Public Forum on Alternatives to pesticides.
Action #1 – TODAY – Thursday, 1/16: Meet at Santino’s for pizza, good conversation, and social justice – every Third Thursday starting at 11:30 am
Indivisible Ventura, along with other groups and individuals across the country, have been participating in a postcard campaign with Reclaim our Vote campaign, a coalition with NAACP, Black Lives Matter and the Center for Common Ground. Over the last few months, over 80,000 handwritten postcards have been sent to alert people of color in Dallas County that their rights to vote might be in danger. This month, the campaign has sent us addresses for the next area of deliberate voter disenfranchisement – Galveston County, TX. Community of color voters are being placed on “Inactive” or “Unregistered” lists at a 16% higher rate than whites. Learn more about this campaign here.
- Where: Santino’s Pizza. It’s at 4231 Telegraph Rd., Ventura, 9300
- When: Thursday, Jan. 16th, 11:30am – 1:30pm.
- RSVP for our supporters: Nope. Just come. Invite your friends!
We do, however, reserve the right to refuse any volunteers and their services.
- What to bring: We provide the pizza, postcards, stationary. If you prefer, you may bring your own pre-stamped postcards, or stationary for letter actions. You are also welcome to bring stickers and different colored pens.
- Donations gratefully accepted: A postcard stamp is $0.35! We’re trying to achieve 300 finished postcards, which equals $105. Donations of money for stamps and pizza or rolls of postcard stamps are gratefully accepted.
- Questions? Email email@example.com
Action #2 – Jan. 18th – Speak Up, Act & Vote for What Unites Us.
Facebook link here.
Action #3 – Jan. 20th – Ventura County’s 34th Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
Come support this amazing celebration in honor of America’s preeminent civil rights leader. Over 200 participants are involved, including our elected officials, religious leaders, local businesses, military and community volunteers, the Celebration Choir, the Oxnard High School Band, speakers and students, along with an estimated audience of over 600. Details of the day here.
What can you do?
- First, support this event by buying a ticket here or from a member. (Indivisible Ventura is a member.) $8 gets you admission to the event, which starts at 9:00 am at the Oxnard PAL Gymnasium, along with refreshments and access to community information tables and vendor exhibits.
- Join in the Freedom March. If you’ve never had the exhilaration of marching down the middle of a city street, singing and chanting for civil rights, this is your chance. It starts at Plaza Park in Oxnard (5th and C St.) where community members, elected officials, and spiritual leaders will assemble at the park for prayer at 8 a.m.; the march will begin at 8:15 a.m. and then proceed to the Oxnard PAL Gymnasium.
Action #4 – Jan. 21st – Oxnard’s Public Forum on Alternatives to pesticides.
Facebook link here.