Longer version and written transcript here.
Action – “Speak no evil” – Don’t reward liars with SCOTUS seats.
Brett Kavanaugh has stated that he never assaulted Christine Blasey Ford. That he’ll repeat that claim under oath on Monday is expected, but of no importance, as he no longer has a reputation as an honest man to defend. With more information coming to light, testimony from his current hearing, as well as from his 2004 and 2006 hearings, have been re-cast as bald lies, alongside many statements that have been perjury-adjacent or “evasive”. He has been outed on the national stage as what he really is – a highly partisan political operative, and not the even-handed dispenser of impartial justice Americans deserve. His perjury under oath should immediately disqualify him from SCOTUS contention, as well as the federal bench he currently serves on.
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Senator [___] to do four things to prevent Brett Kavanaugh from ascending to the Supreme Court.
- A) Require an FBI investigation as requested by Christine Blasey Ford prior to a full hearing of Brett Kavanaugh’s alleged actions against her. There is no longer a viable deadline.
- B) Bring forward the two federal employees who had information regarding Kavanaugh’s witnessing of Judge Kozinski’s sexual harassment, contrary to his sworn testimony.
- C) Subpoena all emails and messages between Kavanaugh and Kozinski, including links to his website, to determine Kavanaugh’s actual knowledge of sexual harassment issues as opposed to his statement under oath.
- D) Start impeachment proceeding against Judge Kavanaugh for his continued perjury regarding stolen documents from his 2004, 2006 and current confirmation hearings.
Contact your Senator:
Senator Feinstein: email DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Contacts: https://hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com
Lie #1 – “Hear no evil” – The Kozinski Files
Family tree: Alex Kozinski is a former chief judge of the Ninth Circuit Court. Kavanaugh was his clerk in the ’90’s, before going on to become Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy’s clerk on Kozinski’s recommendation. Together, Kozinski and Kavanaugh vetted clerks for Kennedy. Last year, Kavanaugh’s clerk was Kozinski’s middle son. Then Kennedy recommended that Kavanaugh replace him when he stepped down.
Kozinski resigned after articles outed him for outrageous sexual harrassment issues, including email strings with sexually-tinged jokes. During his confirmation hearings, Kavanaugh told the Judiciary Committee that he had no knowledge whatsoever of Kozinski’s behavior and was stunned to learn of the misconduct allegations.
Senator Mazie Hirono: “Please search your email and check to see if you got any sexually inappropriate emails from Kozinski, because to know him for 20 years like this and to not have, is very strange.”
Judge Brett Kavanaugh written reply: “I do not remember receiving any sexually inappropriate emails.”
Ryan Grim (The Intercept reporter): And so now, …there are employers who would say, “That’s nonsense. I know firsthand that Kavanaugh was a witness to…” — not that Kavanaugh approved of the behavior, but that he is lying about this. And his credibility is now central to the accusation of the attempted rape.
- I received some of Kozinski’s infamous gag list emails. I’m baffled by Kavanaugh’s response to questions about them. (slate)
- Judge Kavanaugh: What does it mean to be complicit in sexual harassment (abovethelaw)
- Brett Kavanaugh can be held accountable for his alleged actions at age 17 (slate)
- Kavanaugh’s Kozinski Test (slate)
- Christine Blasey Ford’s accusation isn’t suspect (slate)
- Kavanaugh’s classmate tells senators he won’t testify (the hill)
- Letter in support of Christine Blasey Ford from Holton Arms Class of ’84 (cnn)
- Letter in support of Christine Blasey Ford from 731 alumnae of Holton-Arms (standwithblaseyford.com)
- Letter in support of Christine Blasey Ford from over 200 colleagues and coworkers (wapo)
- Ford wants FBI investigation before testifying (cnn)
Lie #2 – “See no evil” – Three oaths. Three lies. He’s out.
Let’s impeach him instead: Democratic Senator and senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee Patrick Leahy doesn’t want Judge Kavanaugh to ascend to the Supreme Court. In fact, he wants to impeach Kavanaugh from his current status as a federal judge instead, due to perjury he committed at his Judiciary Committee hearings in 2004 and 2006. In 2004, Kavanaugh denied under oath that he had ever received stolen materials or knew anything about them while he was working in the Bush administration as White House staff secretary. The “stolen materials” were thousands of documents circulated by GOP Senate Aide Manuel Miranda, a GOP Senate staffer, showing Democratic opposition strategies and questions to be asked of Bush judicial nominees. Emails recently released prove that Kavanaugh had been copied on email chains that were titled “spying” as well as documents like Leahy’s own, with copious markings indicating secrecy. Miranda had even warned him to keep the talking points secret. Up to this point, if he had been a political greenhorn, Kavanaugh could have pled plausible deniability. Kavanaugh was not a political greenhorn.
The lies: However, by November 2003, any pretense was over as Miranda’s thefts were revealed, and he was forced to resign. The US Senate sergeant-at-arms began an investigation into the stolen files and at that point, Kavanaugh should have come forward to provide information about what he had. He did not. Instead, he hid his involvement and in 2004, when Sen. Orrin Hatch asked him directly if he received “any documents that appeared to you to have been drafted or prepared by Democratic staff members of the Senate Judiciary Committee.” Kavanaugh said “No.” In 2006, Sen. Ted Kennedy asked him if he had any regrets about how he treated documents he had received from Miranda that he later learned were stolen. Kavanaugh rejected the premise of the question, restating that he’d never even seen the documents in question.
A shiny new lie: At his latest confirmation hearings, like many other politicians who forget that their previous words have been recorded, he contradicted his old lies with a fresh new one, falsely claiming that it would have been perfectly normal for him to receive secret Democratic letters, talking points, and other materials. What?
This man falsely said “NO”, “NO”, and “It was normal” when confronted. Guess how a charge of sexual assault is going to be answered. We agree with John Bonifaz of Free Speech For People that we don’t need judges like this, at any level.
- I wrote some of the stolen memos that Brett kavanaugh lied to the Senate about (slate)
- Brett Kavanaugh’s unlikely story about Democrats’ stolen documents (wapo)
- The evidence is clear: Brett Kavanaugh lied to the Senate Judiciary Committee (slate)
- Brett Kavanaugh should be impeached (nation)
- Brett Kavanaugh may have perjured himself but the mainstream media doesn’t want to talk about it. (salon)
- Brett Kavanaugh misled the Senate under oath. I cannot support his nomination (wapo)
- Newly revealed emails raise fresh objections to Kavanaugh confirmation (nytimes)
- I knew Brett Kavanaugh during his years as a Republican operative. Don’t let him sit on the Supreme Court (think)
- Brett Kavanaugh can’t be trusted. We know because we worked as counsel to senators when he was in the Bush White House (time)