Before we start, here are this week’s featured resisters, who are fearless, committed and very well dressed.
Photo – SB4 Protesters hold Quinceaneras at the Capitol
This week’s featured “Title” video and article actually features Fox News! Who knew?
Today’s top features to make your head explode …
- Russia is talks with the U.S. to create a cyber security unit. another presidential whim, like the border wall, that’s being forced into reality. Killjoy Democrats think this is a bad idea, of course…
- Trump has officially nominated Sam Clovis, a non-scientist, climate-denying conservative talk radio host as USDA’s top scientist, because words have no meaning anymore.
Fun political things to do!
– Tell Trump how he’s doing! He can’t block you, so don’t hold back. The GOP has a new survey entitled “Listening to America”. It’s pretty slanted with some leading questions and it doesn’t mention healthcare at all, so be sure to add that in the comment section at the end. Help them out: Click here.
– This summer, Our Revolution, an American progressive political action organization spun out of Senator Bernie Sanders’ 2016 presidential campaign to continue its work is focusing on the People’s Platform; these 8 House bills which embody progressive ideals:
- Health Care for All: H.R. 676 Medicare for All Act
- Education for All: H.R. 1880 College for All Act of 2017
- Workers’ Rights: H.R. 15 Raise the Wage Act
- Women’s Rights: H.R. 771 Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH Woman) Act of 2017
- Voting Rights: H.R. 2840 Automatic Voter Registration Act
- Environmental Justice: Climate Change Bill (yet to be introduced)
- Criminal Justice and Immigrant Rights: H.R. 3543 Justice Is Not for Sale Act of 2017
- Tax on Wall Street: H.R. 1144 Inclusive Prosperity Act
The goal is to have the majority of Democratic House members cosponsoring each bill by the end of the summer recess. We are being asked to sign on as citizen co-sponsors. Learn more and sign up here.
– If we flip 24 House seats in 2018, we reclaim it. Click here to help Swing Left.
– Be part of a science project! Meteorological Phenomena Identification Near the Ground (mPING) is a project to collect weather information from the public through their smart phone or mobile device. The free mPING mobile app was developed through a partnership between NSSL, The University of Oklahoma and the Cooperative Institute for Mesoscale Meteorological Studies. Report your weather on the ground to a research project at the University of Oklahoma. They have an app for Android and iOS that you use to submit info on your weather, anytime, and anywhere. Takes just a few minutes!
The Zombie Healthcare Bill Will Return.
Despite working feverishly in a room with 12 of the best white male conservative minds he could find, Mitch McConnell couldn’t come up with a bill anybody wanted. Shocking!
The insurance companies hate the Cruz Amendment. So do people frightened of being stuck with junky insurance. The bad bits are so horrible that Congress has once again deliberately exempted themselves from it, getting to keep the full Obama-special.
Trump jumped in with an almost fact-free-association of the issues, confusing everyone. McConnell has a week of arm-twisting and outright bribery to finally get something to the floor. Even governors are being pulled into the fight.
That it was sunk by three women who hadn’t been allowed in the room…priceless.
For us, the fight continues. Everyday, call your senators. Encourage the Democrats to continue to protect us, and warn your GOP legislators that they can be replaced.
(If you need some suggestions to get started, click here.)
Burning through the ozone layer like it’s 1959…
Despite spouting climate denier talking points, EPA Chief Scott Pruitt is surprised he’s called a climate denier, which is kind of surprising in itself.
Scott Pruitt now wants to televise a debate on climate science. We would like to use this video to help set the groundrules of this debate.
Counties and cities are starting to sue private fossil fuel companies for their role in effecting climate change and the resultant costs that the public will have to absorb.
Meanwhile, our President is planning on using a United Nations climate change adaptation fund (The Green Climate Fund) to pay for the construction of “clean” coal plants around the world, because, well, he is an asshole.
Let’s talk about progressive politics, for a brief change of pace…
Who said what?
Time for a brief quiz, just for fun… Guess who said the six attached quotes (Hint: There are 4 different speakers.)
Answers: Click here.
There has been a lot of discussion in progressive circles about how to involve millennials in our shared political future. Although this article dates from before the election, there are some good points.
How do we reach the huge number of non-voters?
For the next election, not only are we going to have a strong positive message, but we’re going to have to energize the habitual non-voter to help us.
Why did this former GOP member turn blue?
A warning of approaching pitchforks from one plutocrat to the others.
A response to Robert Reich’s 12 Point Resistance Agenda
How to stand up to Trump and win (NY Times).
Let’s talk bone-deep structural corruption of our democracy. We are in the middle of a ferocious game we didn’t know we were playing.
– ALEC and Koch brothers want to gerrymander the Senate. The right wing is looking to accomplish through gerrymandering what it can’t do at the ballot box. We need to be alert for when we hear plans to repeal the 17th amendment.
– Review the deep history of the Radical Right’s Stealth Plan for America.
“Charles Koch looked to Buchanan’s theories for inspiration. They are libertarian — but with a twist: bluntly, it “entails restrictions on the freedom of the great majority in order to protect property rights and the prerogatives of the most well off.”
– Here’s more on the business links of those leading Trump’s regulatory rollbacks.
– There are now so much corporatization that weird things are happening…like the feds fining Exxon for violating Russian sanctions while our current Secretary of State Rex Tillerson was CEO…
– Trump wants this former legislator and current bigot, Scott Garrett, back in power and leading the Export-Import Bank. We’ll be calling about this one.
– Here some historical perspective…here.
– Of course, there will be some pushback. Joel Clement, a science and policy expert, was reassigned from helping endangered communities in Alaska prepare for and adapt to a changing climate to an unrelated job in the accounting office that collects royalty checks from fossil fuel companies. He’s now a whistleblower.
Suppressing voting is a big part of this game.
– The clown show of the “Election Integrity” Commission is getting the most attention, providing cover for a far more serious attack on voting rights. The DOJ has sent letters to states to provide information on the processes used to remove people from voter lists. “When you see DOJ send a bunch of letters like this requesting information about compliance with the law, that’s usually a sign that they’re kicking an enforcement campaign into gear,” Sam Bagenstos, who served as the principal deputy assistant attorney general for civil rights from 2009 until 2011.
– 10% of Americans can’t vote because they can’t satisfy requirements (Time).
Now a Trump break just because…
OK, we’re pissed about this…
Last week, we talked great it was that Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) had finally gotten her Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) repeal amendment passed in a bi-partisan vote last June after literally years of effort. However, Trump lackey, Speaker Paul Ryan “stripped” it from the House Appropriations defense spending bill in the “dead of night”, allowing Trump continued access to deadly force without Congressional review. Lee said in a tweet the move was “underhanded & undemocratic,” adding “the people deserve a debate!”
Which brings us “To Russia, with Love. – Donald”
For those of us still normally buzz over long complicated Russian names in novels and are still confused as to why the most unlikely people keep talking about adoptions, here is the absolutely clearest explanation. Share with your friends.
The continually surprising Teen Vogue brings us this awesome timeline to bookmark.
It’s “Made In America” week! So let’s talk immigration.
We need to keep a watch out for this guy, Lee Francis Cissna. “More than 300 immigration advocacy groups urge senators to oppose the nomination of Lee Francis Cissna to head the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services…”
Grandparents win! We’re waiting for Trump’s heart to expand a couple of sizes.
Pentagon study declares American Empire is collapsing (Medium)
Steve Bannon pulled one greatest upsets in American politics (PBS)
Roy Cooper shows Democrats how to win again (Politico)
One area where Trump has been wildly successful (WP)
Trump won’t kill America. Bitcoin will. (hacker noon)
Rebecca Solnit – Occupied Territory (Harpers)
Neoliberalism has conned us into fighting climate change as individuals (Guardian)
198 methods of non-violent action (The Albert Einstein Institute)
Breakdown of the latest New York Time Trump interview (Slate)
10% of Americans can’t vote because they can’t satisfy requirements (Time).
This is a must-read if you’re white (On Being).
Mueller can’t do it all. We still need a special commission (HuffPo).
Why this climate scientist survived a fall into a glacial crevasse (Washington Post).
How you (yes, you) are contributing to extremism (The Atlantic).
When people tell you “Now you know how we felt under Obama”…