Like the Monty Python skit, the GOP Senate health care effort is not dead yet.
There are many confusing options and money being thrown on the table and there is a tremendous amount of pressure without regard to human life and economic impact.
The GOP would like us to be quiet now but we cannot be.
Trump does not want Congress to leave for August recess until a bill is passed.
They couldn’t come up with a good bill in seven years; a few weeks will not be the charm.
As Hawaii Senator Brian Schatz tweeted: “Under-appreciated in 2017 is the biggest grassroots movement in human history just formed w/no politician in charge. Power to the people.”
We are those people!
Please keep up the pressure with your Senators!
(Ben Wikler, MoveOn) “…we need to make sure zombie Trumpcare stays in its grave. Remember, McConnell is still insisting on a vote next week on repealing the Affordable Care Act, even though he doesn’t have the votes to pass it—apparently because he wants to be able to say he tried before moving on to tax cuts for billionaires. We need to make absolutely sure that vote goes down in flames. But even after that, even if Republicans can’t repeal it legislatively, Trump will keep trying to sabotage it through executive action. And Trump’s budget calls for hundreds of billions of dollars in cuts to Medicaid. We still have to resist with all our might.
And it’s also time to look ahead. We must hold accountable everyone who voted for this hideous bill or came close to supporting it—and prepare to throw dozens of Republicans out of Congress next fall. And it’s time to rally Democrats in support of the visionary step forward that America still desperately needs: Medicare for All. “
So what do we do now?
(Thanks to Avrom of The Resistance:Peaceful ACTION)
This is an updated the list for week specific activities:
1) Call your Republican Senators
PLEASE call daily and ask to speak to their healthcare staffer about your objection to any repeal of the ACA, and especially one done in secret without a bill draft to even discuss. ***IF YOU THINK IT DOESN’T MATTER BECAUSE YOUR SENATOR HAS SOLD HIS SOUL TO THE GOP DEVIL…CALL*** These calls are making a difference: http://abcnews.go.com/…/10th-gop-senator-support-hea…/story…
Interviews with activists on the ground in DC suggest that calls are swarming the moderate GOP members, but more strident GOP members aren’t hearing from constituents. This impacts how they view the bill and how they approach their moderate colleagues. So please reach out. If you don’t have a republican senator, urge your friends in states that have GOP senators to call and write letters to the editor.
If you have a GOP Senator, let them know that they won’t be keeping their job if they vote for this. YOUR VOTE IS YOUR ONLY WEAPON!
Example script: I’m calling to tell Senator [___] to vote “NO” on this healthcare bill, in any form it finally shows up in. It is dangerous for his/her constituents and we will remember if he/she votes for it and we promise that he/she will be looking for a new job after the next election.
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
Here is a list of health care staffers: https://twitter.com/benwikler/status/872923148357947392
2) Call your Democrat Senators
If you have a Dem Senator, let them know that you have their back if they decide to use whatever procedures they can use to stop business as usual in the Senate.
Example script: I’m calling to tell Senator [___] to vote “NO” on the GOP’s wealthcare bill, in any form it finally shows up in. It is dangerous for his/her constituents and we want him/her to fight it will all the legislative tools at his/her disposal.
Senator Feinstein: DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
Senator Harris: DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
3) Call your House Rep.
If this gets out of the Senate, the vote in the House will likely come fast and we must try to stop it. So start calling now.
Rep. Salud Carbajal: (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Other Rep Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com
6) Reach out to your friends in other states and make sure they are doing the same.
7) Call your governor and ask your governor to speak out against the repeal of the ACA.
8) ***ATTEND A KILL THE BILL EVENT** ON TUESDAY: http://act.indivisibleguide.com/…/tuesday-killthebi…/search/
9) If you need to understand how Trumpuncare will impact your state, here’s a resource: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/…/impact-of-trumpcare-by-…/
10) In a safe blue state/district? Tweet at senators in other states (ones to target: http://www.politico.com/…/gop-mcconnell-obamacare-trumpcar…/) tell your story via twitter, and amplify the voices of others. (2 to follow: @topherspiro and @aslavitt)
1. “Senate Republicans are in denial that repeal without replacement is dead,” Think Progress, July 18, 2017
2. “‘Let Obamacare Fail,’ Trump Says as G.O.P. Health Bill Collapses,” The New York Times, July 18, 2017
3. “Mitch McConnell refuses to pull the plug on stalled Obamacare repeal plan” CNN – Politics http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/politics/mcconell-repreal-and-replace-obamacare-not-successful
4. “It’s true Trump didn’t pledge Obamacare repeal in 64 days. He pledged it in one.” The Washington Post, March 24, 2017
5. “Ryan: ‘Obamacare is the law of the land’ for foreseeable future,” Politico, March 24, 2017