From Rock the Vote: “The Census is all about the distribution of power and money from the federal government to our communities. Money that goes toward things like emergency services, school lunches, hospitals, schools, fire departments, and affordable housing. And power, which is determined by the number of congresspersons, state legislatures, and other elected officials representing your interests.”
- This website has all the information you may need. More resources here, and here.
- Here is a preview of the online form.
- Who has to do this? The 2020 Census counts everyone who was living in the United States and its five territories, American citizen or not, on April 1st, 2020. (Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, and the U.S. Virgin Islands). One person should respond for each home. That person must be at least 15 years old. They should live in the home or place of residence themselves and know general information about each person living there.
- How can I tell if a census taker is real?
- If someone visits your home to collect a response for the 2020 Census, you can do the following to verify their identity:
- First, check to make sure that they have a valid ID badge, with their photograph, a U.S. Department of Commerce watermark, and an expiration date.
- If you still have questions about their identity, you can call 844-330-2020 to speak with a Census Bureau representative.
- You can download a form to look over and discuss with your family here.
- Find a video to share on your social media platform on this post or here.
- The League of Women Voters put together a downloadable information page here.
- Worried about confidentiality? Go here for answers. (en español)
- Are you an organization, or business operating in Ventura County interested in getting involved in Census 2020 outreach? Go here.
- There are a lot of false rumors about the census. Learn about them here.
- How does Ventura County compare to others counties, states and the US as a whole? Stats at the bottom of this post. We’ll keep updating it!
Continue reading “Thurs 9/3: The most powerful political action you can take today is to fill in your census form online. #shapeyourfuture.”