Seriously. A lot of Democratic senators fell for this!
Minimal script for senators who voted FOR the Trust Act amendment in the 2021 budget: I’m calling from [zip code] to ask Sen. [Feinstein] to make sure that Sen. Mitt Romney’s TRUST Act, which could endanger Social Security, is NOT included in the final COVID relief bill. Sen. [Feinstein] voted for this amendment to the 2021 budget. Perhaps [he/she] did not appreciate how it would circumvent legislative norms for changing Social Security and would allow cuts to be made to benefits without regard to how they would affect [his/her] constituents who depend on them.
Minimal script for senators who voted AGAINST the Trust Act amendment in the 2021 budget:: I’m calling from [zip code] to thank Sen. [Padilla] for voting against Sen. Mitt Romney’s TRUST Act, as an amendment to the 2021 budget, and to ask him to speak out against it being included in the COVID relief bill. This malicious amendment could endanger Social Security by allowing cuts to be made to benefits without regard to their human impact.
The amendment was voted into the Fiscal Year 2021 Budget as S. Amdt. 803 to S. Con. Res. 5. Senator Feinstein voted “YES” and Senator Padilla voted “NO“. Find your own senator’s vote here.
Note: If you haven’t made this call yet on adding unemployment tax relief and automatic stabilizers to the American Rescue Plan, do it at the same time.
Continue reading “Thurs 3/4: Romney’s TRUST Act is a “Trojan Horse” to cut seniors’ Social Security benefits!”
These 3 actions will take you less than 10 minutes…
#1 – Tell your legislators to support the American Rescue Plan.
(5calls.org) The new Biden-Harris administration has put forth a 1.9 trillion dollar package, the American Rescue Plan, aimed at economic aid for struggling families, relief for small businesses, and a national vaccination program to increase testing and vaccine distribution. (White House fact sheet here.) (Comparison between previous COVID relief plans and this one here.)
The American Rescue Plan would:
- provide $1,400 in direct payments to most Americans,
- increase the federal per-week unemployment benefit to $400 until September 31st,
- increase the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour,
- extend the eviction and foreclosure moratoriums until September 31st,
- increase the Child Tax Credit to $3,000 per child ($3,600 for children under 6), which would reduce child poverty by at least 50%,
- give $170 billion for K-12 schools and institutions of higher education,
- provide $350 billion in state and local government aid,
- add an additional $50 billion toward Covid-19 testing, and
- provide $20 billion toward a national vaccination program.
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep./Sen. [___] to support the American Rescue Plan. [you can point out issues from the list above that are especially important to you and your family.] People have been kept waiting for this too long and there is true suffering in our country. Please move this through quickly.
Continue reading “Tues 1/26: Three Quick Actions!”