QUICK LINKS TO: Federal candidates, State candidates, County Supervisor, City Candidates, School District Races, Special District Races, Propositions, Local Measures, Voting/registration information, Ballot drop-off locations, In-person voting locations, “Protect the Vote” volunteer opportunities.
Note: For ALL political advertising, print or digital, for candidates, propositions and local measures, THE FUNDERS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT PART!
Ventura County supervisor races are often drenched in fossil fuel, and the last election and this one are no exceptions. Be aware of any ads funded by “CA Independent Petroleum Association” (CIPA). The “California” part of their name just means the companies represented by that trade group have some part that OPERATES here. A quick walk through their boardmember list finds companies headquartered in other states, international companies, and at least one partly owned by Shell and Exxon.
Here are other the names to be aware of down in the bottom of a print or video:
- Independent Petroleum Assoc. of America (IPAA)
- Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission (IOGCC)
- Western States Petroleum Assoc. (WSPA)
- CA Conservation Committee of Oil and Gas Producers (CCCOGP)
- CA Independent Oil Marketers Association (CIOMA)
- West Coast Petroleum Technology Transfer Council
- Independent Oil Producers Alliance (IOPA)
- West Independent Refiners Association
- National Stripper Well Association
Each one of these trade organizations is opposed to our state’s environmental movement and a direct threat to the health of our families.
Supervisor -District 5
Carmen Ramirez (D)
- VC Reporter article on both candidates here.
“I signed the no fossil fuel pledge, we must do better and modernize our energy sector, it’s where the jobs are now and are going to be.
“Today I learned that my opponent in the race for supervisor has received the support of the “California Independent Petroleum Association” which has potentially thousands of dollars to run ads against me. I’m not surprised and please don’t be surprised either when you see me slandered on ads in your mailbox and on television. Meanwhile I am endorsed by civic leaders, essential workers and first responders, social and environmental justice organizations and many Oxnard residents who see the way forward with my leadership to a cleaner, healthier, prosperous future for their families. I am proud of the suppport of Tom Steyer, former Presidential Candidate and current Advisor to the Governor on Business Recovery, Dolores Huerta, champion of civil rights for Farm workers, Senator Hannah-Beth Jackson, Khalilah Durias, Congresswoman Julia Brownley, John Chiang, former State Treasurer and Senator Kevin De Leon, (ret.) I have signed the No Fossil Fuel Pledge, moving our city and County to a future that is livable. Please support me and vote for Carmen4Supervisor.com“
- Age: 71
- City of residence: Oxnard
- Occupation: Mayor Pro-tem of Oxnard, attorney focusing on social security disability, consumer matters and immigration.
- Education: Law degree, Loyola Law School
- Endorsement from Ventura Citizens for Hillside Preservation here.
- Endorsement page here. Sample of endorsements below.
- Why is big oil pumping money into Ventura County’s board of supervisor elections? (Desertsun.com)
- “Latino communities at risk – The impact of Air Pollution from the Oil and Gas Industry” here.
QUICK LINKS TO: Federal candidates, State candidates, County Supervisor, City Candidates, School District Races, Special District Races, Propositions, Local Measures, Voting/registration information, Ballot drop-off locations, In-person voting locations