Action #1 – Congratulate Rep. Salud Carbajal for House passage of his bill banning off-shoring drilling!
All Santa Barbara Indivisibles and local activists are encouraged to attend Rep. Salud Carbajal’s press conference Friday September 13, to celebrate House passage of the “Coastal and Marine Economies Protection Act” (H.R. 1941). This bill bans future offshore oil and gas leasing off the U.S. coasts, and includes Carbajal’s “California Clean Coast Act” (H.R. 279) within it, which permanently prohibit oil and gas leasing off the coast of the State of California.
- Rep. Salud Carbajal, CA-24
- Linda Krop, Chief Counsel, Environmental Defense Center
- Michael Lyons, President, Get Oil Out
- Dennis Allen, Chairman, Allen Construction
- Ben Pitterle, Science & Policy Director, Santa Barbara Channelkeeper
- Corley Kenna, Director, Global Communications and Public Relations, Patagonia
- Sigrid Wright, CEO, Community Environmental Council
WHEN: Friday, September 13, 12:00 – 12:45 p.m. PDT
WHERE: Shoreline Park, East Parking Lot (closest to the pier), Santa Barbara, CA 93109
OR thank him here: Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
The passage of this bill is crucial for Central Coast communities who have seen the devastation of the 1969 Santa Barbara and 2015 Plains All American Pipeline oil spills, and whose economies are directly tied to clean coasts and healthy ecosystems.
(Who cosponsored this? Check here – Julia Brownley and Katie Hill were cosponsors!)
Action #2 – Ask our legislators to get this passed in the Senate!
There doesn’t seem to be a matching bill in the Senate that covers both coasts like Carbajal’s. They currently have these:
- S.1304 – “COAST Anti-Drilling Act” (Melendez-D-NJ), which would “permanently prohibit the conduct of offshore drilling on the outer Continental Shelf in the Mid-Atlantic, South Atlantic, North Atlantic, and Straits of Florida planning areas.” (Cosponsors here. Feinstein and Harris are already cosponsors already.)
- S.1318 – “West Coast Ocean Protection Act of 2019” (Feinstein (D-CA) which would “permanently prohibit the conduct of offshore drilling on the outer Continental Shelf off the coast of California, Oregon, and Washington.” (Cosponsors here. Harris is a cosponsor already.)
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to know that we’re celebrating Rep. Carbajal’s offshore drilling ban bill. Please support his bill and (Choose 1: thank you for your support of/please support} similar bills in the Senate, such as S.1304 and S.1318.
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Who is my representative/senator?: hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com