Sarah C’s story Sarah W’s story Dr. Swarzberg’s story Mobius’ story Megan’s story
“Medical exemptions have more than tripled since the passage of SB 277. Some schools are reporting that more than 20 percent of their students have a medical exemption. It is clear that a small number of physicians are monetizing their exemption-granting authority and profiting from the sale of medical exemptions.” – Pediatrician & State Sen. Dr. Richard Pan.
Action – YES on SB-276. Nudge Newson, make the call to Assembly Member Limón on the Health Committee.
We’re concerned that Governor Newsom has been so busy that he hasn’t had a chance to read SB-276 – Immunization: medical exemptions. (Jessica Biel, who still isn’t a real doctor, hasn’t read the bill carefully either.) Three years ago, CA passed SB 277, a bill which eliminated “personal belief” exemptions, and vaccinations reached the 95% level necessary to provide herd immunity for kids who are immunocompromised or are too young. Now all that is at risk again because of doctors who sell fake medical exemptions to parents. SB 276 is aimed at tracking doctors who create an inordinant amount of exemptions, who may not have even seen the child, or who use reasons for exemptions don’t follow CDC guidelines.
On June 20th, Assembly Member Monique Limón will be part of the Assembly Health Committee which will vote on this action. (Other members listed below) Go ahead and call your representative whether or not they’re on this committee.
Minimal script for your Assembly Member: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Assembly Member [___] to vote “YES” on SB-276. Children should be able to go to school without fear of preventable disease.
Contact: State Assemblymember Monique Limón (CA-37): SAC (916) 319-2037, SB (805) 564-1649, VTA (805) 641-3700 email
Not your person?: findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov.
Minimal script for Governor Newson: Read the bill, Governor. It has nothing to do with getting in the middle of doctor/patient relationships. This bill cracks down on rogue doctors who make our state less safe for kids and adults who can’t be vaccinated.
Contact: Governor Gavin Newsom: email, (916) 445-2841
Measles is not a benign disease. It used to kill thousands of people every year. The stories at the top and this one below have been deliberately shared by the people involved to remind us of the dangerous history of this disease.
“Vaccinations save millions of lives every year, and the California Medical Association was proud to stand with Dr. Pan to support SB 276,” said California Medical Association President David H. Aizuss, MD. “This new legislation will close a loophole in the current law that has allowed a small handful of rogue doctors to skirt the spirit of the original law and has put millions of Californians at risk. CMA strongly supports SB 276 and believes that all physicians must do their part to protect the health of children and the public at large.”
Members of the Assembly Health Committee
Jim Wood (Chair)
Chad Mayes (vice Chair)
SUPPORTERS: (Verified 5/16/19)
- American Academy of Pediatrics, California (co-source)
- California Medical Association (co-source)
- Vaccinate California (co-source)
- Advanced Medical Technology Association
- AIDS Healthcare Foundation
- American College of Cardiology, California Chapter
- American College of Physicians, California Chapter
- Bikur Cholim Jewish Healthcare Foundation
- California Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
- California Academy of Family Physicians
- California Academy of Pain Medicine
- California Association of Professional Scientists
- California Chapter American College of Cardiology
- California Children’s Hospital Association
- California Hospital Association
- California Immunization Coalition
- California Life Sciences Association
- California Optometric Association
- California Orthopaedic Association
- California School Nurses Organization
- California Society for Asthma, Allergy, and Immunology
- California Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- California State Association of Counties
- CHEAC – Improving the Health of all Californians
- Children Now
- Children’s Defense Fund
- Children’s Specialty Care Coalition
- County Health Executives Association of California
- County of Los Angeles, Board of Supervisors
- County of Marin
- Donate Life California
- Health Officers Association of California
- Infectious Disease Association of California
- Kaiser Permanente
- LA Care Health Plan
- March of Dimes
- Orthopedic Surgery Specialists Medical Group
- Providence St. Joseph Health
- Over 700 individuals
OPPOSITION: (Verified 5/16/19)
- A Voice for Choice Advocacy
- Alliance for Natural Health USA
- Association of American Physicians and Surgeons
- California Health Coalition Advocacy
- California Right to Life Committee, Inc.
- Californians for Trusted Healthcare
- Eagle Forum of California
- Moms Across America
- National Health Freedom Action
- National Vaccine Information Center
- Physicians for Informed Consent
- Physicians’ Association for Anthroposophic Medicine
- Vaccine-Injury Awareness League
- West Virginians for Health Freedom
- Over 800 individuals