Action – Ask our legislators to vote “NO” against any “motion to recommit” and vote “YES” on a clean H.R.Res.37.
1. Has Trump turned America into one never-ending civics class? Answer: “Yes.”
2. What the heck is a “motion to recommit” (MTR)? Short answer: It’s a last chance for the minority party, in this case, the GOP, to stop or amend a bill before it’s voted on. Longer answer here.
3. Why the heck are we STILL IN YEMEN?
- First, the House voted “YES” on H.J.Res.37 but the House GOP’s (“We be all about the babies!) thought it would be fun to add an MTR with completely unrelated anti-Semitism language to the bill, hoping to split up Democratic votes and possibly kill the resolution, along with more Yemeni babies. The Dems should have voted together to reject the GOP’s bad faith MTR, but instead, they mostly stuck together and voted the whole thing through.
- However, the MTR was a problem for the Senate to pass without getting McConnell’s approval, so they stripped it out. Then, miracle of miracles, the Senate voted “YES” on a clean S.J.Res.7!
- So now the House and Senate versions don’t match, thanks to the malicious GOP members who deliberately tried to kill this bill, so the House needs to re-vote on the clean version they should have had in the first place. Thanks, GOP, for playing games with kids’ lives!
Minimal Script for representatives: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep. [___] to vote in favor of the bipartisan resolution H.J.Res.37 to end U.S. involvement in the Saudi-led Yemen war, and to REJECT any “motion to recommit” when this bill moves to the floor.
Rep-Check for H.J.Res. 37 here: Carbajal is a sponsor (THANK HIM), Brownley isn’t! CALL HER!)
Minimal Script for senators: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to thank Sen. [___] for voting for S.J.Res. 37 to end U.S. involvement in the Saudi-led Yemen war.
Rep-Check for S.J.Res. 37 here: THANK BOTH Senators Feinstein and Harris! – Call or email.
Contact your Legislators
Rep. Julia Brownley: (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email, (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Rep./Senator Contacts: www.phoneyourrep.com
We’ve covered this issue several times on different aspects of war crimes that history will lay at our feet.
- Here on trying to last year’s H.Con. Res.138. (11.21.18)
- Here on 8/18/18 on how we became complicit in creating a “war economy” in Yemen.
- Here on a background on how we got into this mess with Yemen, lessons learned, and then ignored.