But look! That nice man is giving him a sparkling “we-call-it-soccer” ball.
Action #1 – Go to our vigil for democracy tomorrow.
Action #2 – Where do our GOP legislators stand? Yes, this is another pop quiz.
Russia is not our friend and our GOP legislators may not be either. (From The Moscow Project) Robert Kagan, Washington Post reporter, has stated that congressional Republicans are effectively acting as “Russia’s accomplices” by
- Slowing down the congressional investigations and blocking the establishment of congressional select committees and the creation of an independent commission.
- Working with the White House to undermine and obstruct ongoing investigations.
- Refusing to issue subpoenas and canceled meetings and hearings.
- Ignoring warnings from the intelligence community.
- Succumbing to pressure from President Trump to hinder the investigations.
If you, your family or friends are represented by a GOP representative or senator, call them and put them on notice with this question…
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want to know if Rep./Sen. [___] stands for Trump or for our democracy. He/she cannot support both. What actions is he/she taking to assist in protecting Mueller’s investigation and helping to create an independent commission to examine Russia’s actions against our country?
Action #3 – Ask our Democratic legislators to stand up.
Not only did Trump take Putin’s word that he didn’t interfere with our election over hard evidence from our intelligence agencies, he also blamed the U.S. government, rather than Russia’s past aggressive actions in the Crimea and Syria as the reason for rocky U.S./Russia relations. It’s also easy to see why he keeps bringing up Clinton’s emails to divert attention from the illegitimacy of his election, and how he would really appreciate a new Supreme Court member, like Brett Kavanaugh. Not only would this particular nominee thwart the will of the majority of Americans with far-right rulings, but he has publicly stated that presidents should be protected from prosecution while in office.
Minimal script for all Dems: I’m calling from [zip code] and we want the Rep./Sen. to publicly denounce the legitimacy of this administration and to protect the Mueller investigation by bi-partisan legislation to assure that all who are guilty in the Russia investigation come to justice.
Bi-partisan legislation so far:
- S.2644 – Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act (3 cosponsors here.)
- H.R.5476 – Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act ((120) cosponsors here. Brownley and Carbajal are signed on.)
- H.R.5505 – Special Counsel Independence and Integrity Act (Ten (10) cosponsors here. Brownley and Carbajal are NOT signed on.)
- S.1741 – Special Counsel Integrity Act. (One (1) cosponsor here.)
- H.R.3771 – Special Counsel Integrity Act. (One (1) cosponsor here.)
- H.R.4669 – Special Counsel Integrity Act. (One (1) consponsor here.)
Add-on script for all Dem. Senators: I also urge Sen. [___] to delay the confirmation hearings for Brett Kavanaugh until the Mueller investigation has been resolved, an independent commission has been created and the American people have had one more chance to weigh in with their 2018 vote.
Add-on script for Senator Feinstein: I also want to thank the Senator for the strong stand she is taking in opposition to Kavanaugh’s nomination, both in her recent press release and in the exhaustive research she is doing as ranking member of the Senate Judiciary committee, in an effort to convince all Democrats and at least two Republicans to VOTE NO on his appointment.
- Report on Brett Kavanaugh, Vetting Room
- “How Brett Kavanaugh Will Gut Roe v. Wade,” Slate
- “Where Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh stands on key issues,” CNN
- Letter against nomination by Yale Law School students and alumni, Newsweek
- “Brett Kavanaugh’s Journey to Becoming a Supreme Court Nominee,” New Yorker
- Senator Feinstein’s July 9th Press Release on Brett Kavanaugh, Press Release
- Senator Feinstein to Lead Charge Against Kavanaugh Politico Article 7/14/18
Rep. Julia Brownley: (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Senator Feinstein: DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
and Senator Harris: DC (202) 224-3553, LA (213) 894-5000, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 355-9041, SD (619) 239-3884
Other Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com