Anytime we can take a breath in our resistance battles, it’s because a good judge stopped our current administration from doing something illegal, immoral, needlessly cruel or any combo of the above.
Tomorrow, Thursday, the Judiciary Committee will be discussing these hand-picked horrors who desperately want to continue Trump’s agenda, with a lifetime seat at our expense. We give you all the information you need to make one call.
- Thomas Alvin Farr – We need to oppose a federal judge appointee with a history of condoning race-based voter suppression. His career is closely associated with attacks on the rights of vulnerable citizens. For the last three decades, Farr, who represented the campaign of the ultraconservative Senator Jesse Helms at a time when the campaign was accused of taking part in conduct designed to intimidate black voters, has committed himself to two main missions: disenfranchising voters of color and attacking workers’ rights. Now up for nomination again a second time for 2018, two times too many.
- David Stras nomination for US Court of Appeals for the eighth Circuit. – Another far right candidate who has ruled against government transparency, ruled to limit the rights of children with disabilities, and women, and sided with Minnesota’s Republican legislature in its effort to put on the ballot a measure to make it more difficult for minorities and the elderly to vote, in language that was “phrased to actively deceive and mislead.” https://www.afj.org/our-work/nominees/david-stras
- Stuart Kyle Duncan – He has fought contraception coverage for women, a woman’s right to choose and LGBTQ equality. He has fought to make it more difficult for people of color to vote, opposes criminal justice reform and doesn’t respect legal precedent.
- Liles Burke – Keeping a picture of Confederate President Jefferson Davis in his office communicates hostility to communities of color and raises questions about Burke’s commitment to civil rights and his ability to be an impartial jurist for all who come before him. Burke has ruled that rap lyrics written by the defendant could be used against him for a crime occurring years later and that the word “child” in Alabama’s child endangerment statute applies to the unborn, opening the door to the prosecution of pregnant women. He allowed removal of so many black and female jurors, the case involved was appealed.
- Matthew Kacsmaryk – Where to start…He has attacked Roe v. Wade, is anti-LGBTQ and has opposed regulations under the Affordable Care Act that forbid healthcare providers from discriminating against people based on gender identity, “sex stereotyping,” and “termination of pregnancy”, hates gay marriage, supported Kim Davis and likes “conversion therapy”.
- Mark Norris – Beyond bad… Norris has spread offensive anti-refugee and anti-Muslim rhetoric, sought to undermine the rights of immigrants in Tennessee, and vigorously fought against LGBTQ equality and the right of women to decide whether to have an abortion. He has undertaken efforts to make it harder for African-American children to receive a quality education, made it more difficult for African-Americans, the elderly, and students to exercise their right to vote, undercut workers’ rights and protections, and made it more difficult to hold corporations accountable when they break the law. To much to detail. Go here.
- William Ray II – Besides being extremely partisan, he opposed a bill that would have “prohibited police from using race or ethnicity as the basis for a traffic stop.” He also passed a resolution “strongly opposing any plan, legislation, or resolution which may explicitly or implicitly condone homosexual behavior, opposes late-term abortions and wants to end affirmative action programs..
- Eric Drieband – Second to Attorney General Jeff Sessions, Dreiband will be the most influential figure in enforcing some of our nation’s most critical laws. Eric Dreiband has devoted the vast majority of his career to undermining the rights of workers subjected to employment discrimination. He has sought to limit the rights and remedies of discrimination victims not only in the courtroom but also before Congress. He personally testified against bipartisan legislation to reverse the Supreme Court’s Ledbetter decision, which allowed for pay discrimination against women. He also testified against legislation to reverse the Supreme Court’s decision in Gross v. FBL Financial, which made it harder for older workers and persons with disabilities to prove discrimination. Moreover, he has no known experience in most of the Civil Rights Division’s core issue areas, such as voting rights, police reform, education, housing, and hate crimes.
Long windup – Short call.
Check to see if your senator is on the Judiciary Committee here.
Minimal Script: I’m calling from [ZIP]. I would like the Senator [Feinstein for Californians] to oppose the seating of all far-right nominees, including Farr, Stras, Duncan, Burke, Kacsmaryk, Norris, Ray, and Assistant US Attorney candidate Eric Drieband.
Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
Other Senator Contacts: http://www.phoneyourrep.com