Action – Call your legislator and demand that funding to put people first be added to this COVID-19 stimulus bill.
The Senate passed a new $484 billion coronavirus relief package yesterday. The bill includes another $310 billion bail out of small- and medium-sized businesses for the PPP program (see corruption issues below in “Deeper Dive”), $60 billion for emergency SMB grants and loans, $75 billion for hospitals and $25 billion to fund a new coronavirus testing program. However, it’s still missing some important values:
- No money to save the US Postal System
- No money for protections to frontline workers.
- No money for secure elections.
- No money for immigrants.
- No money for additional economic support to an out-of-work population
- There was no money for health care for newly unemployed workers.
- No rules to make sure companies maintain payroll.
- No money for states and cities.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep. [___] to vote “NO” on any bill that neglects to include funding for the US Postal System, secure elections, protections for frontline workers, continuing aid to out-of-work people, access to health care, and rules to make sure companies maintain payroll.
More script if you want it: I specifically want Rep. [___] to include the ABC Act, the Health Care Emergency Guarentee Act, the Vote/Safe Act, Elizabeth Warren’s Election Protection Plan, the Paycheck Guarantee Act, S. 3565 – Small Business and Consumer Debt Collection Emergency Relief Act and provide our postal system the cash grants and loans it needs. Continue reading “Wed 4/22: “A Peoples’ Bailout” – Part 2.”