The tweet thread is from Walter Shaub, who we respect the hell out of: “This may seem like a small thing, but it will take you no time at all, and it’s one way that you can make a difference in the fight against corruption. I really hope you’ll do this. And I hope you’ll recruit others. Together, we can have an impact.“
FAST Action!: Email a note to the Office of Government Ethics (OGE)
1. Address an email to ContactOGE@oge.gov
2. OGE’s notice says the SUBJECT line MUST read: “Proposed Rule: Legal Expense Fund Regulation (RIN 3209-AA50)” (you can read the proposed rule here)
3. Write a comment — OR, and this is the easy part, cut and paste the one Walter Shaub has drafted for us to use!
I oppose OGE’s proposed legal expense fund regulation as drafted. OGE should: – remove the exception that makes compliance with the regulation optional;
– replace the proposed recusal requirement with a broader 5-year recusal requirement that prevents donors of cash gifts from influencing decisions, policies, or regulations affecting them or the industries in which they have substantial interests;
– remove the offensive example involving an accused sexual harasser; and – place nonprofit charities (501(c)(3) organizations) on an equal footing with large law firms by allowing them to hire legal counsel for whistleblowers.