“Deterrence is effective in inverse proportion to the desperation of the migrants. What we’re seeing is a much, much, much more desperate group of migrants coming to the border….if they truly believe that they will be killed, or their children will be murdered, it’s hard to deter against that.” (Theresa Cardinal Brown, Bipartisan Policy Center – “Will an Emergency Law Used to Keep Out Migrants Become Permanent?)
Although the CDC announced the end of Title 42 in spring of 2022 as “no longer necessary” to protect public health, a federal judge blocked ending the policy in May, revealing what should have been evident all along – Title 42 was never about COVID-19 or public health – it was always about border control.
Worried that the court’s block could fail, conservative lawmakers are attempting to override the CDC and public health experts by passing legislation that would continue Title 42 expulsions indefinitely. One example – S.4022, proposed by Idaho’s senators and Florida’s Rubio, states who took few precautions against COVID, would extend this inhumane policy until right after the 2024 presidential election.
Meanwhile, Title 42 continues to have devastating consequences for asylum seekers who have already faced grave harm – including death, abduction, torture, and rape, which disproportionately affect Black, Indigenous, and LGTBQ+ migrants.
ACTION #1: Call all three of your federal legislators (both senators, & your representative!)
ACTION #2: EMAIL your legislators!
Minimal script: I welcomed the CDC’s announcement to end the inhumane policy, known as Title 42. However, I am deeply disturbed to see new proposals attempting to undermine the CDC and keep Title 42 in place indefinitely as standalone bills or amendments to must-pass legislation.
I urge you to oppose any and all legislative efforts designed to keep Title 42 in place and block access to asylum. Over the past two years, we have learned that this policy is unnecessary to protect public health. This extreme anti-immigrant policy counters our values as a country and our legal commitments to refugees and asylum seekers. Thank you for your time.”
- Rep. Julia Brownley (CA-26): email, DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
- or Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Padilla: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
ACTION #3: AMPLIFY ON SOCIAL MEDIA TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO CALL:
- I just called @ (Elected official) urging them to reject efforts to block access to asylum. Join me in calling your elected officials: https://bit.ly/WWDT42Call-In #RestoreAsylum
- Title 42 is a failed, outdated health policy—not an immigration policy. It is time to #EndTitle42 for good and #RestoreAsylum now! Call your members of Congress and urge them to support the right to seek asylum. https://bit.ly/WWDT42Call-In #WelcomeWithDignity
- We can’t stand by as Title 42 continues to expel people back to danger and even death.
#RestoreAsylum and #EndTitle42 for good! Learn more: bit.ly/IICHealNotHarm #WelcomeWithDignity
- Title 42 must end NOW. This policy harms migrants and border communities + undermines the U.S. asylum system.
Together, we can #EndTitle42 for good, restore our asylum system, and welcome all people seeking safety. Take action https://bit.ly/WWDT42Call-In #WelcomeWithDignity