Thanks to everyone who showed up yesterday for our Ventura County Government Center action for #BansoffOurBodies. Be ready for a Planned Parenthood action on May 14.
Images and comments regarding the Ventura action are on our Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/IndivisibleVentura . These rallies were happening all across the nation and Senator Warren had some choice words to share at an event near her.
READ: “The dog caught the car” – Read Heather Cox Ricardson’s cogent analysis of the GOP’s cynical history of manipulating evangelical Christians to remain in power and how it led to this moment here.
Get your phone ready for action!
These actions should take no more than 10 minutes total (waiting-for-your-coffee-time) if your phone is programmed with all your legislators numbers.
- How should I do this? tinyurl.com/make-faster-calls
- Why should I do this? My peeps are all Dems.: tinyurl.com/Why-call
Get a live person to talk to, say your script, mimimum (zip code) + “(YES/NO) on (bill name/#).” Add whatever moves you. Done. Rinse and repeat tomorrow. Relentless calling is how the Tea Party led us to Trump and this SCOTUS. We can do it too.
Action #1: Tell your senators to vote “YES” on S.1975 – The Women’s Health Protection Act of 2021
Update since we last published this action: The House version passed, the Senate one didn’t. Now we should see what all the senators that voted against it the first time will do in the face of an angry and motivated constituency of Roe fans who can hardly wait to get their hands on their ballots. (More info: tinyurl.com/Rebalance-the-Court)
Minimal script for cosponsor: I’m calling from [zip code]. I want to thank Sen. [___] for cosponsoring S.1975] – the “Women’s Health Protection Act.” I was angry that the Supreme Court essentially overturned Roe v Wade by not ruling Texas’ SB8 – the “heartbeat” forced-birther law, blatantly unconstitutional, harming the most vulnerable of women, and now there’s evidence that SCOTUS, with 3 new members who lied during their nomination hearing, will detroy 50 years of precedence that protected the lives and health of women. I expect Sen. [___] to explore all options to overturning this miscarriage of settled law, including removing the filibuster to ensure the rights of women to make decisions for themselves and their families.
Action #2: Killing Roe is just the beginning if we don’t stop them. Expand and rebalance this lawless Court with H.R. 2584/S.1141 – Judiciary Act of 2021.
According to a leaked draft from Justice Alito, the unelected conservative majority on the Court, appointed by two presidents who both lost the popular vote, is going to overturn 50 years of precedent and end our constitutional right to an abortion (https://www.politico.com/…/supreme-court-abortion-draft…) It gets very “Handmaiden-y” starting on page 17(tinyurl.com/Patriarchy-crap). They have also signaled their intention to overturn marriage equality, end access to contraception, gut protections for women of color and more. (More info: tinyurl.com/Rebalance-the-Court).
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code]and I want Sen./Rep. [___] to know that I’m furious with the Supreme Court’s refusal to defend 50 years of precedence regarding women’s right to reproductive choice for their own health and for their families. I want [him/her] to immediate cosponsor and support H.R. 2584/S.1141 – the “Judiciary Act of 2021“. This court no longer represents the interests of the majority of Americans. This dark-money Supreme Court has gone rogue, and overthrowing Roe v. Wade is the last straw. We need to expand the court NOW to 13 to represent all 13 circuits and the needs of the American people.
- Rep-check here: Neither Brownley, nor Carbajal are cosponsors yet.
- Senator-check here: Neither Feinstein, nor Padilla are cosponsors yet.
Action #3: Make sure CA is ready to protect and aid abortion-refugees.
Make sure our state legislators and Governor Newsom make CA safe for those who can make it here. This includes updating bills to include the expected criminalization of abortion in other states. (Action post – tinyurl.com/CA-repro-sanctuary)
Update: This action discusses the eugenics movement that’s always been behind the eyes of GOP believers. We’re not the only ones who’ve noticed.
Hint: It was never about religion. It was never about babies.
Action #4: Donation Options
There are many groups sharing where people can donate to help people obtain abortions. This is a great document that shares funds for all 50 states: tinyurl.com/donate-for-abortions
Here is an additional list from the Equal Justice Society:
- Donate to Abortion Funds: A donation to the National Network of Abortion Funds brings abortion funds closer to a future where all people have access to abortion without shame or stigma.
- Keep Our Clinics: Support independent community providers who provide the majority of abortion care in the US.
- M+A Hotline: a confidential, private and secure phone and text hotline for people in need of support for self-managed miscarriage or abortion.
- If you have questions about self-managed abortion and the law, @ifwhenhow can help. The Repro Legal Helpline is a free, confidential source for legal advice and information on self-managed abortion. Visit ReproLegalHelpline.org or call 844-868-2812.
- INeedAnA.com: Find a clinic – to find vetted, up to date, and personalized info on how to get an abortion; no search or user data saved.
- SisterSong: SisterSong is a Southern based, national membership organization; their purpose is to build an effective network of individuals and organizations to improve institutional policies and systems that impact the reproductive lives of marginalized communities.
- All* Above All: All* Above All is a catalyst for abortion justice. We envision a world where abortion care is affordable, available, and supported for everyone who needs it.
- If/When/How: If/When/How envisions a transformation of the legal systems and institutions that perpetuate oppression into structures that realize justice, and a future when all people can self-determine their reproductive lives free from discrimination, coercion, or violence.
- Urge: A #ReproJustice, #POC-led org for young ppl in the South + Midwest. Centering POC & #Queer folk.
- National Abortion Federation: The National Abortion Federation (NAF) is the professional association of #abortion providers.
- In Our Own Voice: Lifting up the voices of Black women fighting for Reproductive Justice
- National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice: National Latina Institute for Reproductive Justice (the Latina Institute) builds Latina/x power to fight for the fundamental human right to reproductive health, dignity, and justice.
- Join Liberate Abortion email list: Go to www.liberateabortion.org and sign up.
Action #5: Read Up On Other Liberties At Risk
There are a lot of “unenumerated” constitutional liberties that are put at risk with this opinion. Regardless of whether you hold a legal degree, you can read up on what those liberties are and how they might be impacted in this very helpful paper from the Center for Reproductive Rights. tinyurl.com/Roe-timeline
Another essential resource on reproductive rights is the Guttmacher Institute, which has a wealth of policy analysis. In particular, see https://www.guttmacher.org/abortion-rights-supreme-court
- Rep. Julia Brownley (CA-26): email, DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
- or Rep. Salud Carbajal (CA-24): email. DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Padilla: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com