- Action #1: Tell our state legislators to pass the bill divesting our public pension funds from Russia.
- Action #2: Tell CA legislators that the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship is a critical service for immigrants in rural communities!
Action #1: Tell our state legislators to pass the bill divesting our public pension funds from Russia.
Companies are divesting from Russia, including BP, Shell, Maersk, Visa and Mastercard, and WarnerMedia (they’re withholding “The Batman” movie from Russia this weekend). So how about the California’s public pension funds, the two largest in the nation?
State Senate Majority Leader Mike McGuire said Monday he planned to introduce a bill that would require the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (CALPERS) and California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CALSTRS) to disentangle themselves from investments tied to Russia. The two systems have recently held more than $1.7 billion combined in such assets, according to Reuters.
For an impact comparison, compare our investment to Colorado’s public pension fund of $7.2 million, which they have already moved to divest. “About 20 California lawmakers have lined up in support of the bill, which would take effect immediately if passed and signed into law.”
- State Senator Monique Limón (SD-19): email, SAC (916) 651-4019, SB (805) 965-0862, OX (805)988-1940
- State Senator Henry Stern (SD-27): email, SAC (916) 651-2027, Calabasas (818) 876-3352
- State Assemblymember Steve Bennett: (CA-37): email, SAC (916) 319-2037, SB (805) 564-1649, VTA (805) 641-3700
- State Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin: (CA-44): email, SAC (916) 319-2044, CAM (805) 482-1904, OX (805) 483-4488
- Seriously, I have no idea who my CA legislators are…: findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov.
Action #2: Tell CA legislators that the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship is a critical service for immigrants in rural communities!
Many people are unaware that justice and ACCESS to justice are two different things entirely. We saw this in action at our Sunday expungement fair, as people got a chance to talk to an attorney from the Public Defender’s office. For immigrants in rural areas, the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship is the solution that makes the “access” part possible. Please help expand this program by making legislators aware that this is an critical service that needs their support.
How to participate:
- Please send your written comment to: SBUD.Commitee@senate.ca.gov before Thursday afternoon. Copy your comment to your own senator’s email.
SAMPLE: Public Hearing Comment or Written Script:
My name is [___] and I am from [___] (insert resident of or organizational affiliation). I am writing to ask for your support in maintaining and expanding the California Immigration Legal Fellowship, the first statewide program to expand access to immigration counsel in the most underserved rural regions of the state.
Everyday thousands of California residents appear without an attorney in immigration courts. This due process crisis affects residents from across our state but disproportionately impacts already disadvantaged rural communities. These communities have historically lacked pro bono legal services, and attorneys that can help keep families together.
The model provided by the Fellowship allows for new attorneys to be housed in rural regions, while being trained in a collaborative structure by the best mentors in our state. It provides a collaborative solution to the challenge of building legal capacity, and is a critical investment that will pay off for decades to come. We urge your continued support and expansion of this critical program which would ensure that these resources reach the highest areas of need in our state.
- Tweet messages to @SusanEggman, @MoniqueLimonCA, @CASenCaballero, @NancySkinnerCA, @GavinNewsom, @LatinoCaucus
- Sample Tweets
- We need the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship to protect and support our rural communities that lack critical removal defense legal services.
- Immigrant families in rural communities need the legal resources provided by the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship. Please support this critical program!
- Everyday thousands appear without an attorney in California’s immigration courts. This due process crisis disproportionately impacts already disadvantaged rural communities. We ask for your support of the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship!
- California rural communities deserve access to immigration legal services. Today we’re asking the legislature to expand the successful model provided by the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship and ensure everyone in our state has access to legal services!
- 52% of children in #California have one or more #immigrant parents. Any promise of opportunity to the next generation begins with the legal resources to keep families together. Support the California Immigration Legal Fellowship!
- The CA Immigration Legal Fellowship builds critical legal services in regions that have lacked any pro bono services. The Fellowship is a sustainable path forward.
- Now more than ever we need the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship to protect & serve our rural communities that lack critical legal services. Can we count on your support for this budget request?
- Thousands are without representation in our immigration courts. This is a due process crisis which disproportionately impacts disadvantaged rural communities. Support the CA Immigration Legal Fellowship. #CaLeg #CalBudget
- The CAImmigration Legal Fellowship is a necessary, and long overdue step in ensuring #DueProcess4All. Please support the Central Valley and Central Coast in getting the quality legal representation all Californians deserve.
- Sample Tweets