(Photo credit, quote)
- Action #1: Tell your senator to pass S.1975 – Women’s Health Protection Act NOW!
- Action #2: Demand that SCOTUS Justice Amy Coney Barrett and other Catholic justices “recuse” themselves on abortion cases.
- Action #3: Share information on how to find abortion pills, how to use them safely and to make the information common knowledge.
Action #1: Tell your senator to pass S.1975 – Women’s Health Protection Act NOW!
If Roe v. Wade falls to the phalanx of religious right SCOTUS members, 26 states will ban abortion immediately. Even now, over 700 women die in childbirth each year and over 50,000 women end up with life-threatening injuries they may never recover from, physically, emotionally or financially.
(This action is based on both CA senators having already cosponsored this bill.)
Action #2: Demand that SCOTUS Justice Amy Coney Barrett and other Catholic justices “recuse” themselves on abortion cases.
Minimal script: I’m calling to demand that SCOTUS Justice Amy Coney Barrett recuse herself from Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization on the basis of her own 1998 law review article “Catholic Judges in Capital Cases,” where she wrote that she is incapable of ruling in a religiously neutral manner on matters concerning the death penalty or abortion due to her absolute fidelity to the teachings of the Catholic Church. She and the other conservative Catholic justices, Roberts, Breyer, Thomas, Alito, and Kavanaugh, stand at the brink of imposing a single religion’s values over their responsibility to a country who has rightfully prided itself on our Constitution’s separation of church and state.
- House Committee on the Judiciary: 202-225-3951
- Senate Committee on the Judiciary: (202) 224-7703
Action #3: Share information on how to find abortion pills, how to use them safely and to make the information common knowledge.
SHOUT YOUR ABORTION states that “IT’S NOT A COINCIDENCE THAT MISSISSIPPI IS THE POOREST AND BLACKEST STATE IN THE UNION. ABORTION BANS ARE INTENDED TO KEEP POOR PEOPLE IN POVERTY AND KEEP WHITE PEOPLE IN CHARGE OF EVERYTHING.”
SCOTUS’s decision in Dobbs will very likely lead to abortion being banned in half the States. Abortion pills by mail are the best tool we have to minimize the impact of whatever anti-choice legislation we see passed in coming years—and EVERYONE in this country needs to know about this option ASAP: ShareAbortionPill.Info
Get free downloadable assets and more info about participating in this action here.
Since we last posted this action…
- Legislation is getting scarier: Oklahoma legislators want to establish a database of pregnant people so that state officials can track and try to deter them from obtaining abortions. This is only one of 507 forced-birther bills being considered right now. Texas passed SB 4, which gives jail time and a $10K fine for those who prescribe pills for medication abortions through telehealth or the mail.
- Contraception is at risk: Three GOP candidates for Michigan state attorney general stated that they were opposed to Griswold v. Connecticut, the landmark 1965 Supreme Court decision on the right to privacy that struck down a state law outlawing contraception, which later became the basis for Roe v. Wade. (SCOTUS Amy Comey Barrett specifically refused to say during her nomination hearings whether she agreed with Griswold)
- We are now the backwards one: Colombia, after decades of jailing women for abortions and or “suspicious” miscarraiges, has, like Mexico and Argentina, legalized abortion up to 24 weeks – the Roe v. Wade limit. Meanwhile, Black women here continue to die at a rate three times higher than White or Hispanic women and our overall rates of maternal death exceed those of 10 first-world countries.