The Freedom to Vote Act (S.2747) has replaced the “For the People Act” in the Senate. This bill, which is backed by Stacey Abrams of Fair Fight, makes Election Day a holiday, ends gerrymandering, combats the anti-voting laws working their way through state legislatures, requires states to allow 15 days of early voting (including 2 weekends), massively expands voting access through automatic voter registration and Election Day registration, increase election security by creating a national standard for voter verified paper ballots, implement a national voter ID standard with reasonable alternatives like utility bills or bank statements, requires voting machines be made in the United States, protect nonpartisan election officials from partisan interference, shines a light on dark money, and makes it harder for billionaires and special interests to buy elections. It’s a good start and and Manchin’s reputation, and the future of the filibuster, is also on the line.
Action: Call. Today. Tomorrow. Wednesday.
Minimal script for SEN. FEINSTEIN (not a cosponsor): I’m calling from [zip code] to ask Sen. [___] to support S.2747 – the “Freedom to Vote Act.” It’s imperative that we set a nationwide standard to protect the rights of voters and to strengthen our democracy. We also expect [her] to step-up and support killing the filibuster outright or carving out a voting-rights exception in it to support this bill
Minimal script for SEN. PADILLA (cosponsor): I’m calling from [zip code] to thank Sen. [___] for supporting S.2747 – the “Freedom to Vote Act.” It’s imperative that we set a nationwide standard to protect the rights of voters and to strengthen our democracy. We also expect [him] to step-up and support removing the filibuster to support this bill.
Cosponsor update (9/20/21): Check here.
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Padilla: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Who is my senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Information on the Freedom to Vote Act.
- (Brennan Center) Pass the Freedom to Vote Act – Analysis
- (msnbc) The Freedom to Vote Act is Democrats’ final chance to save voting rights
- (from DemCast) Quick Read: