“Democratic lawmakers in Texas staged a dramatic walkout to prevent the Republican-controlled Legislature from passing a sweeping bill to rewrite election laws in the state. Critics say the bill will lead to mass voter suppression, especially of Black and Latinx voters, by eliminating drive-thru and 24-hour voting, as well as ballot drop boxes. The Republican bill would also make it easier for elections to be overturned even if there is no evidence of fraud.“
Joe did his part. Watch his speech, or read it here.
This is the task for the rest of us…
OK, call your senators over and over. Make it as much a part of your everyday life as coffee in the morning and it will take less than a minute of your time. Phone calls and in-person meetings are the most effective ways to influence your senator, and since we need to pass this bill before August recess, calling daily now is truly crucial. We know it might feel odd to call over and over, but please know that your second and third calls are just as important as the first one.
You can go to Indivisible’s autodialer here or DIY it.
Minimal script: Hello, I’m calling from [zip code] and I’m very concerned about Senate Republicans’ use of the filibuster to block the For the People Act from passage. We cannot let Republicans hold our democracy hostage. It’s time to eliminate the filibuster to save our democracy.
Will Sen. [___] eliminate the filibuster and pass the For the People Act, the John Lewis Voting Rights Act and all the other essential Democratic priorities? Republicans cannot be allowed to continue obstructing our government and standing in the way of progress. There’s no time to waste.
Here are the steps if you use Indivisible’s autodialer:
- Go to our call page to end the filibuster to pass S. 1.
- Give your name and location, so the person who picks up (or the staffer listening to the voicemail) knows you’re a constituent.
- Share your message (Senator, support S. 1, and don’t let the filibuster get in the way!)
- Thank the person for their time.
- Click the “I’m Done” button on the call page. We will send you a link to claim your sticker! (make sure you make the call through our system so we know you’ve done it.)
DIY – Set up your phone to make your morning calls fast!
- It doesn’t take long to program your phone with the numbers of your representative and your two senators. If one number is busy, or it’s past closing time in D.C., you can quickly move on to their next office. Always try to find a live person to talk to over an answering machine.
- Find a prefix to organize all your political numbers together, so you can move quickly between them. We use “MOC” for “Member of Congress,” even for our state legislators.
Contacts to program into your phone:
Watch this too.
SENATE HEARING ON VOTING RIGHTS – Sen. Leahy gives a history lesson on the bipartisan support that the Voting Rights Act has always enjoyed before the age of Trump. Here’s a great visual on the votes to reauthorize VRA from 1970 – 2006