How would history treat legislators if they had blocked the 9/11 Commission or the Warren Commission looking into President John F. Kennedy’s assassination? The first question would be: What are they trying to hide? The next would be: How could someone who has taken an oath not put the Constitution above partisan defensiveness? Republicans, it seems, no longer care that they look like pawns or that they have violated their oaths. Americans must keep this in mind in 2022, 2024 and beyond.
Minimal email/call script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Sen. [___] to demand that a Jan. 6 insurrection commission be established. I do not accept the GOP’s premise that an insurrection aimed at overturning a presidential election is in any way equivalent to protests for civil rights and I do not accept that those legislators with culpability for this violence get to hide from an investigation behind the filibuster. If you senators fail to do your duty, we will be looking for a House-led special committee, for President Biden to set up a Kerner Commission-style group by executive order and/or a DOJ-led special counsel or group to investigate the role of legislators in one of the most shameful days of American history.
Minimal email/call script: I’m [calling/writing]from [zip code]. Maybe coddled amongst themselves up there in D.C, GOP legislators can fool themselves into believing that we, the American people, are already forgetting the insurrection that took place on Jan. 6th. They’d be wrong. Our democracy’s record of peaceful transition of power, unbroken since 1860, was a source of pride for us. Now that’s trampled into the broken glass and fecal matter on the floor of the People’s House, and we do not accept GOP excuses.
- We, the American people, do not accept the GOP’s premise that an insurrection aimed at overturning a presidential election is in any way equivalent to protests for civil rights.
- We do not accept that a suspect should be able to cow legislators into obstructing an investigations into his own possibly criminal actions, especially a twice-impeached former president.
- We do not accept that the possible accomplices amongst the GOP can use the filibuster, historically used to maintain Jim Crow laws, to thwart an investigation into the insurrection they helped foment.
- We do not accept that partisanship has become so toxic that House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, ludicrously refused to accept the specific terms of an investigative commission that he himself set in a February 22 letter.
- We do not accept the GOP’s venal gaslighting campaign to reframe this national tragedy into a “tourist visit.”
- We do not accept the GOP’s disrespect for the police officers who sacrificed to protect them. Members of the U.S. Capitol police have expressed their “profound disappointment” with their spinelessness.
We, the American public, want at least 9 questions answered. (From Lawfareblog.com)
- Who were the attackers? Who were the organizers? Who funded it?
- Which parts of the warning system failed?
- Why were the pieces not put together?
- What was the role of social media companies?
- What can investigators reasonably conclude regarding the personal responsibility of President Trump
- Who elso enabled the violence? (Gohmert, Brooks, Gosar, Ted Cruz, Josh Hawley, and the rest of the accomplices, including state legislators, we’re looking at you!)
- Should the rioters have been allowed to walk away?
- Was there a foreign role?
- How might history have look if different decisions were made?
If you senators do not manage to put a commission together, we will be demanding the following:
- the House Majority Leader Nancy Pelosi immediately create a special select committee.
- that President Biden create a Kerner Commission-style group by executive order,
- that the Department of Justice appoint a special counsel with broad subpoena powers to specifically expand its investigations beyond the citizen arrestees to include a report on whether various legislators, along with our disgraced former president, should be held criminally culpable for the ensuing violence of that day.
- Senator Feinstein: email, DC (202) 224-3841, LA (310) 914-7300, SF (415) 393-0707, SD (619) 231-9712, Fresno (559) 485-7430
- and Senator Padilla: email, DC (202) 224-3553, LA (310) 231-4494, SAC (916) 448-2787, Fresno (559) 497-5109, SF (415) 981-9369, SD (619) 239-3884
- Who is my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com