Cartoon and nice summary of where we are now from CNN here.
(the Hill) “The president is almost self-impeaching because he is, every day, demonstrating more obstruction of justice and disrespect for Congress’s legitimate role to subpoena. This is very methodical, it’s very Constitution based, it’s very law based, it’s very factually based. It’s not about pressure, it’s about patriotism..Sometimes people act as though it’s impeach or nothing. No, it’s not that. It’s a path that is producing results and gathering information, and some of that information is that this administration wants to have a constitutional crisis because they do not respect the oath of office that they take to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” – Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.)
OK, let’s start down the path to “getting the facts in a Constitutional way.” Rep. Tlaib’s resolution H.Res. 257 instructs the Judiciary Committee to begin investigating whether or not Trump should be impeached. This is a good first step that everyone should be able to unify over. Almost every every legislator in the House voted to see the unredacted Mueller report. WHY ARE THERE ONLY 7 COSPONSORS TO THIS RESOLUTION? Check this “Rep-check” to see if your legislator is standing up.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep. [___] to cosponsor H.Res 257 to begin an investigation into whether or not Trump should be impeached. Can I ask why the Congress (man/woman) is delaying in cosponsoring this bill?
(Neither Brownley, nor Carbajal are on board yet. CALL THEM!)
Rep. Julia Brownley: email, (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email. (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Who’s my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Per national Indivisible.org: “The Mueller report confirms what we’ve always known: Trump abused his authority, violated the law, and tried repeatedly to obstruct justice. These are impeachable offenses. With control of the House, Democrats should use their investigatory power to begin investigations into whether Donald Trump has committed crimes that would justify his impeachment.”
- Reps. Al Green (TX) and Rashida Tlaib (MI) joined a coalition of liberal advocacy groups on Thursday to deliver a petition with more than 10 million signatures urging Congress to begin impeachment proceedings against President Trump.
- The House Judiciary Committee voted along party lines to hold Attorney General Barr in contempt of Congress for not handing over the unredacted Mueller report.
- Pelosi agreed. “He lied to Congress. The attorney general of the United States of America was not telling the truth to the Congress of the United States. That’s a crime.”
- A growing cast of alleged “government servants” refuse to comply with requests to testify.
A warning from history – the danger lies in discord.
In our Wednesday 4/17 post, we composed a small quiz to see if our readers could tell the difference between the rise of two tyrants, Hitler and Trump. One of the elements that aided Hitler’s takeover was constant discord within the opposition party, even after they’d scored decisive election victories.
Hey, Steny is walking it back. Update here.
The GOP, who can no longer be trusted to protect basic democracy, is circling, trying to take out members they believe to be the weakest, like our freshmen congress members who represent diversity and new ideas. Trump is planning campaigns for any contingency – no further investigation proves his complete innocence or that investigations are just further “witch hunts” against him.
History proves we must present a unified front, based on our values. A decision must be made so that the majority of our legislators can laser-focus is on issues that affect Americans everyday, like health care, taxes, climate change, education and infrastructure, and not on fighting each other.
- It’s Time: Congress Needs to Open a Formal Impeachment Inquiry (law fare)
- Democrats Are Hoping You Don’t Understand What “Impeachment” Entails. – Focusing on how it would “fail” in the Senate is a handy way to duck responsibility for a full investigation into the Trump administration. (New Republic)
The Mueller Report Is an Impeachment Referral (Atlantic)