Let’s turn it to “boil.”
Action #1 – Read the Mueller report (what there is of it) for yourself.
Mueller’s report makes clear that there’s a “substantial body of evidence” on obstruction.
- The geniuses in Indivisible East Bay have made the Mueller report searchable here.
- The Washington Post analysis on the 10 areas of possible obstruction, with page references, here.
Action #2 – Ask for resignations, because you don’t ask, you don’t get.
(the Hill)“Last month… Attorney General William Barr released an incredibly selective“summary” of Mueller’s findings, allowing President Trump and the mouthpieces who serve him to trumpet the lie that Mueller exonerated him. Then yesterday, Barr put on a farcical press conference before he released the redacted Mueller Report, attempting to foam the runway for the news about to crash on Donald Trump’s presidency. Naturally, that charade in front of reporters helped Trump claim victory all over again.”
The Attorney General’s job is to defend the interests of the United States, not play defense attorney for the President. Make sure that Barr can no longer serve as Trump’s shield.
- Minimal script to Barr: Attorney General Barr has failed his first test to us by acting as a defense team member for the president rather than working on behalf of the American people. I am asking for his resignation, right after releasing the full, unredacted Mueller report to Congress.
- Sign the petition here.
- Minimal call script to WH: (you do not need to leave your name) Thank you for volunteering to man the phones today. It is clear that the President obstructed justice. I am asking, like millions of other Americans, that the President resign.
- Contact -White House Comment Line: (202-456-1111) (you may be on hold for awhile).
Action #3 – Impeachment? – Let’s start with supporting Rashida Tlaib’s resolution (H.Res. 257) first.
Per national Indivisible.org: “The Mueller report confirms what we’ve always known: Trump abused his authority, violated the law, and tried repeatedly to obstruct justice. These are impeachable offenses. With control of the House, Democrats should use their investigatory power to begin investigations into whether Donald Trump has committed crimes that would justify his impeachment.”
Rep. Tlaib’s resolution H.Res. 257 instructs the Judiciary Committee to begin investigating whether or not Trump should be impeached. This is a good first step that everyone should be able to unify over.
Minimal script: I’m calling from [zip code] and I want Rep. [___] to cosponsor H.Res 257 to begin an investigation into whether or not Trump should be impeached.
Rep-check here. (Neither Brownley, nor Carbajal are on board yet.)
Rep. Julia Brownley: email, (CA-26): DC (202) 225-5811, Oxnard (805) 379-1779, T.O. (805) 379-1779
or Rep. Salud Carbajal: email. (CA-24): DC (202) 225-3601, SB (805) 730-1710 SLO (805) 546-8348
Who’s my representative/senator?: https://whoismyrepresentative.com
Background – A warning from history – the danger lies in discord.
In Wednesday’s post, we compared the surprising commonalities between the rise of two tyrants, Hitler and Trump. One of the elements that aided Hitler’s takeover was constant discord within the opposition party, even after they’d scored decisive election victories.
Hey, Steny is walking it back. Update here.
The GOP, who can no longer be trusted to protect basic democracy, is circling, trying to take out members they believe to be the weakest, like our freshmen congress members who represent diversity and new ideas. Trump is planning campaigns for any contingency – no further investigation proves his complete innocence or that investigations are just further “witch hunts” against him.
History proves we must present a unified front, based on our values. A decision must be made so that the majority of our legislators can laser-focus is on issues that affect Americans everyday, like health care, taxes, climate change, education and infrastructure, and not on fighting each other.
- It’s Time: Congress Needs to Open a Formal Impeachment Inquiry (law fare)
- Democrats Are Hoping You Don’t Understand What “Impeachment” Entails. – Focusing on how it would “fail” in the Senate is a handy way to duck responsibility for a full investigation into the Trump administration. (New Republic)
The Mueller Report Is an Impeachment Referral (Atlantic)